Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played this with the Brutii for the 1st time last night (I was the only only one who had played the expansion before, so I took the Brutii) and things went mostly smoothly except for one question on which I was stumped.

I had the Matrona tile and had played the Favor of the Emperor card. Someone else went to the Basilica and claimed the Favor of the Emperor tile. I could fulfill one of my Matrona tiles. However, was I allowed to do this? The rules say that the Favor of the Emperor card only lets the Brutii player take the tile if someone else had. However, a normal player can use Matrona even if someone else has already claimed the face-up tile. So, which takes precedence? In the end, we decided that I could use the Matrona power and take the tile because with only 3 actions a turn, otherwise it was a harsh penalty on the Brutii.

I was able to get 3 VCs pretty quickly (FotE, Permanent Favor of the Gods and Patronage) but unfortunately controlled no factions and couldn't get the 4th in time. My initial 6 cards were 6 different factions, and the ones on the board didn't help for where I wanted to do takeovers. A very different challenge playing the Brutii, that's for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it is worth, I would agree with the way you played it from looking at the expansion rules. I think the wording you quote in the rules just doesn't directly contemplate the situation where the Brutii player also has the Matrona tile.

However, on the same topic...

In the rules it states that the Brutii player who has the Matrona tile only gets the extra two Favor tiles if they have played the Favor of the Emperor action card "this turn".

This seems to imply you would need to play that card two rounds in a row to take advantage of the Matrona tile ie in the round in which the next round preparation (phase 8) occurs and the following one! That seems harsh (and inconsistent with how it works for other players). How did you play it? I certainly wouldn't play it that way.

And another query on the Brutii...

Do you have to have a Vestal Virgin faction token to get a Permanent Favour of the Gods token with the Brutii. It nowhere states that you have to have the Virgins faction token to use the Pantheon action card and you obviously take the risk on not knowing the faction of the facedown card. So it seems to me that you probably don't, but given that it is such a big difference to the regular players, I would have thought the rulebook would specifically state this. How did you play it?

Being slightly put off trying the Brutii based on the number of unresolved questions that seem to arise. (Thinking of trying to compile a list of Brutii queries, just from reading the rules! The other obvious one, not so far answered here, is whether the Brutii player still uses all six action disks when playing a game with six players. I think the answer must be yes, otherwise the Brutii player may end up with only two actions (if the unpicked token is an action token) and some of the benefits he gets (eg unclaimed cards) are likely to be less benfeficial in the six player game anyway!

Anyone else out there still playing this game? I only just acquired it but I think it's great (subject only to the issue with games finishing rather suddenly on occasion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.