Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have read on this forum, I was expecting a huge Japanese victory over the Chindits in this second solo game of my CC career. That is how it ended up, with the rising sun almost 20VP to the good. But five minutes before that it was the allies who were punching the air. Allow me to explain...

This is a bit tricky to set up solo as per the rules- even my short term memory isn't that bad, so I worked as follows. I divided the Japanese into three roughly equal groups of five chits and then set these up on the trail one behind the other. Since I intended the van to march off the map pronto, I left the weapons toward the centre and rear to be available more often. For orientation purposes I had the Japanese side of the map on the left.

Having read a few AARs here it seemed that stopping the leading Japanese units from marching off is pretty tricky, so the allies decided to let them go and concentrate their efforts elsewhere. The centre of the map is a big clearing, admittedly with huts, palms and grass in it, but it isn't jungle. The chindits sought to make this a killing ground and set up as many squads as possible around it, with two of the leaders. The three mortars were spaced around the clearing with the spotter peeping out from the canopy near the bottom of the map. If I have this right he can activate all three mortars as long as he can see the target and they are in range. The green teams and another leader were on the road at the top of the map, awaiting revive orders.

To begin the Japanese vanguard marched off for 16VPs and a place on the time track. Gamey, I can't imagine they really would do that, but it ultimately won them the day. The rest of the Japanese, having been ambushed while minding their own business in the middle of nowhere, were somewhat disorganised and look a long time to form up any meaningful concentrations.

A few Japanese casualties ensued, but no leaders. And this scenario from the allied perspective is about killing 3 Japanese leaders and marching off the left hand map edge. Then the axis got their stuff together and punched a hole through the chindit line with melee. Normal service resumed. The only good news for the chindits at this juncture was the rallying of all of the broken green teams. And my totting up of the melee strength of three of them with a leader. They moved left, chasing Japanese.

It was about now that the Japanese vanguard re-entered stage left and, proceeding along the bottom of the map clinically wiped out spotter, mortars and assorted other ranks. Some gurkhas in the centre were still fighting the japanese in the huts. At great loss and with the help of a newly arrived VC they managed to kill a leader. ONE. Next the vanguard had a dice problem in melee. TWO.

So could the chindit walking wounded, newly revived, make it three? Forcing a melee on Japanese units isn't very easy. The allies need all of the right cards and the japanese all the wrong ones. The japanese were also burning cards in any way possible to end the game, while heading around - and through- the chindits. But the leader was caught after an interminable time. THREE.

Two turns left and the Japanese well ahead on points. The victors making haste with their 3MP allowance through the jungle, aiming for the road hex and its 4VP per unit. Other allied units also gearing up to move.

One hex to go. One. And the Japanese get Infiltrate B. That rings a bell, I had something off the support table a while back. What was it? Oh yes, I picked a leader, it seemed good insurance under the circumstances. It came on, with a MMG team from a reinforcement event for good measure. In the top corner where some other stragglers from the rear of the column had been, I must admit, forgotten about.

The chindits will to combat was undimmed, but they never stood a chance and time ran out.

Two games of CC. It can't always be this good, but scenario C is set up and pushed under the sofa for when I have time.

Thanks for reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, glad you're enjoying them. Yes, I'm writing from England.

Scenario 3 is under way, so I'm getting my head around the whole banzai charge thing. Great fun to be able to move most of the troops around in a turn. But the Op fire is pure butchery. Hoping for something off the support table that fires smoke. A coal-fired power station would be about right. And for five consecutive advance cards.

Live and learn.

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing Scenario C several times it would appear that the only way the Japanese can realistically win against the shear amount of VP the Americans rack up with kills will be the surrender or destruction of all units.

We also enjoyed it a lot more using the optional night rules, it seemed like this made it a bit tougher for the Americans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.