BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for that one game.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gamers,
I wanted your opinion on a quick recommendation. Heres the catc. I am a fan of the hard to find, never heard of, obscure games, that are actually good. I was wondering if anyone out there had any recomendations that you enjoy that are hard to find, didn't have a big print run, or even have a bad rep but deep down its a good game.

Thanks Guys
Korean Meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Silberzwerg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plethora
Capek

The Dutch Golden Age
La Venise du Nord

Fairy Land

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Cego (supposedly) is a game popular in the Black Forest region. However, although I currently live in the Black Forest, I've yet to come across anyone who actually plays it. It's an interesting game. It's one of a handful of games played with the traditional Tarock or Tarot deck (the one used for gaming, not for fortune-telling). It belongs to a family of card games where the winning bidder gets to choose from a number of different ways to play the hand. Interesting. Obscure. It might meet your criteria.

Bagchen is the Tibetan game played with Chinese dominoes. I spent the better part of a year even finding an authentic set. Obscure? You betcha. Interesting? Far beyond; it's fascinating. Good luck finding references in the English language; it's practically unknown. Fun? I wish I knew. I don't have anyone to play with. I've played a simplified^2 version with my boys, but the real deal remains only a dream and a little bit of solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what you mean by "good" (that's a fairly subjective term). But if "depth" isn't a concern to you, I have a number of lighter games that I'm very proud to own that I believe are excellent games for being what they are:

Gonzaga
Mare Balticum
Lascaux
Toscana
Seven Sisters
Heroes of the World

Every time I introduce people to any of these games, no one seems to have heard of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fletcher
England
flag msg tools
I must go down to the sea again
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know whether it is exotic enough, but with its inverted growth mechanism this is an excellent and refreshing game:

Gloria Mundi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth Pantheons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khronos is an underappreciated gem that actually handles time travel well.

City of Chaos is an old school adventure game with a lot of character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkestoceans wrote:

I second that one, and also recommend . . .

Industrial Waste

Wealth of Nations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
The Name of the Rose - I'll never understand why this game didn't catch on. Excellent, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traders of Osaka
Pergamemnon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great suggestions. Thanks guys. I do own wealth of nations with the expansions ( a very solid economic game in my opinion) and I will definitely have to look into a few of the others. Glori Mundi was an interesting play. Adam, the city of chaos sounds intriguing as well. Thanks again guys. If you have anymore weird or obscure titles, let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.