Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting to play Alien Frontiers for some time now. I had no idea there was a kickstarter for a new edition, so I missed out on that.

Well today, I came to the Alien Frontiers page here on BGG to see if anyone had it up for trade, and I noticed "Fourth English Edition" with the status of "Release Date: January 2014. RELEASED"

well I was excited! So I immediately went to the website and purchased it. It was only after I submitted my payment that I noticed that it still said "Pre-order", which is a thing I have zero interest in doing. I was under the impression it was available and shipping now, due to the status on BGG.

Now after doing some more research it seems that this was another kickstarter distaster, full of delays and empty promises, and no one is getting their games yet. Seems that the new "publisher" has been dodging inquiries and hiding from legions of people wanting their game. So if they aren't filling their kickstarter supporters orders, they sure won't be filling mine anytime soon.

I guess I'm going to try and cancel my order, open a dispute with paypal and hope for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
A dispute over what exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
A dispute over what exactly?

I doubt I will be receiving any game in the mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breathe. I don't think this is so sordid as all that. Since nothing is sent canceling your order shouldn't be a problem. They are still sending regular updates and nothing has indicated that they won't deliver, I don't think. This is not their first kickstarter. This seems to be one of those "we got a bunch of extra money on kickstarter so we're gonna make some great stuff and you'll have to wait" deals. Not all that unusual on kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kaiser
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrodrick wrote:
Breathe. I don't think this is so sordid as all that. Since nothing is sent canceling your order shouldn't be a problem. They are still sending regular updates and nothing has indicated that they won't deliver, I don't think. This is not their first kickstarter. This seems to be one of those "we got a bunch of extra money on kickstarter so we're gonna make some great stuff and you'll have to wait" deals. Not all that unusual on kickstarter.

This.
I backed the kickstarter, and I routinely receive emails about the cool new cards, or new art, so it's not like the developers are dodging people. Like all kickstarters, it will be late. No biggie. We will just have a great game to play a little later in the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's a question. Why does BGG say "released Jan 2014" if the game isn't out? That's a bit misleading. Who's responsible for updating things like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spunXtain wrote:
So here's a question. Why does BGG say "released Jan 2014" if the game isn't out? That's a bit misleading. Who's responsible for updating things like that?

How many days are in Jan? it's supposed to be released this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you should seriously think about no longer ordering online at all. It is replete with risk. Have it in your hands at an FLGS before EVER pulling the trigger.

Or realize that a game in the 4th printing will be here soon enough. And the January thing and updating, worry about it on Feb. 1. But the answer is it is OUR responsibility to keep information as current as possible.

And take a deep breath. Then 10 more.

I can only add that: "I doubt I will be receiving any game in the mail" is one of the more silly and naive things I have ever read on this site given all the parties involved. Maybe the interwebs thing isn't your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
spunXtain wrote:

How many days are in Jan? it's supposed to be released this month.

From their updates I don't think the backers will get the game until April or May maybe even later. They are still working on artwork for Factions and promos. The base game, however, may come out before then, but with Chinese New Year quickly approaching if the games aren't on the boats in the next few weeks then the base game will be delayed as well and actually everything was originally due in November. Game Salute is a stand up company and I have every reason to believe they will deliver, but they have a pretty bad track record about delivering on time. I backed Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule! and it was 6 months late and it only had 20 cards! Storm Hollow: A Storyboard Game looks to be over a year late as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarters, in general, are not known for being timely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not call it a disaster. As it was said, they update on news every week, and although delayed (like most kickstarter projects), it is not that bad.

Of course it is bad for you since you did not expect a pre-order, but before doing something drastic, did you try emailing the company?

Maybe they can cancel your pre-order and refund you and you can try to buy another copy from the previous print somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was being more-than-a-bit facetious in response to this obvious over-reaction by the OP. (I would like to think my post conveyed a drip or two of sarcasm).

The truth is there is and will always be more risk ordering online. Even more if one doesn't discern what is actually in stock or not. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Kickstarter backers, like myself, aren't particularly worried about the delays (albeit as disappointing as they are) I'm not sure why the OP is getting himself so worked up .. kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Salute
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all - Michael from Game Salute here.

First of all, Dustin; just contact Service@GameSalute.com with what's happened and the folks there will return your money with no problem. The page on shop.gamesalute.com for Alien Frontiers explicitly states that it's still on pre-order, though!

Next up, the game is actually on the boat and on its way. We're waiting on its arrival and for the stock to get to our warehouse, and then AF4 will be shipped to backers far and wide. The delays have been wretched (and we apologise for that) but that's why we've decided to ship the base games first then follow up with everything else once that arrives, rather than wait to bundle the lot together.

If you're one of the KS backers, we thank you for your support and promise it'll be in your hands shortly!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Salute wrote:
Hey all - Michael from Game Salute here.

Next up, the game is actually on the boat and on its way. We're waiting on its arrival and for the stock to get to our warehouse, and then AF4 will be shipped to backers far and wide. The delays have been wretched (and we apologise for that) but that's why we've decided to ship the base games first then follow up with everything else once that arrives, rather than wait to bundle the lot together.

If you're one of the KS backers, we thank you for your support and promise it'll be in your hands shortly!

Michael

So, so happy to hear this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP may have read some of the threads regarding AF:Aurora (the multi-lingual international edition) and confused it with the English 4th Edition.

Aurora is very overdue, and backers are getting a bit nervous, though we were given an update last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.