Subject: Tossing resources overboard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Roush
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do all of my boats (including any I've bought via upgrading) have to be full in order to toss resources overboard when getting new resources? I don't know if the boat you are adding to has to be full in order to toss from it, or if every single available boat has to be full before you begin to toss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Myers
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...I believe in the directions under resources it states something along the lines of...you must fill you rafts before rearranging (tossing overboard) resources. I don't have the instr. in front of me but we ran into the same question during our game play and that is what we found in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidthebaptist wrote:
Do all of my boats (including any I've bought via upgrading) have to be full in order to toss resources overboard when getting new resources? I don't know if the boat you are adding to has to be full in order to toss from it, or if every single available boat has to be full before you begin to toss.

Quoted from the manual (page 7 top):

Take as many resources as you want from the corresponding stock, up to the total number of badges you've worked out. Place them on your boats' free spaces. During a collection, previously held resources cannot be discarded from your boats unless your boats are already full. In this case you can return to stocks the excess resources of your choice.

As such, It appears clear that this applies to your boats in their entirety...not just one individual boat. Every single boat must be full in order to toss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidthebaptist wrote:

You can't dump ressources except to make room for more ressources.

Else it would be way too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played you can only discard new resources that don't have space and not ever old ones. Is this wrong Garry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
We have played you can only discard new resources that don't have space and not ever old ones. Is this wrong Garry?

This is wrong. Once your boats are full, you discard what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne-Cécile Lefebvre
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
When your boats are all full, if you collect new resources, you have the choice: either you discard the new reources you have just got, or you get rid of some of the old resources you already have on your boats, in order to make room for the new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

So which of the following interpretations should we be adopting?

Case A:
There is only 1 free space on my boats at the beginning of my action.
Therefore, my boats aren’t already full, so I cannot dump any of my previously held resources overboard.
Therefore, the most I can claim is 1 new resource.

or

Case B:
Therefore, I can fill my boats with 1 new resource.
I can then continue to claim X more new resources and dump X of my previously held resources overboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Barbati
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

So which of the following interpretations should we be adopting?

Case A:
Therefore, my boats aren’t already full, so I cannot dump any of my previously held resources overboard.
Therefore, the most I can claim is 1 new resource.

or

Case B:
I can then continue to claim X more new resources and dump X of my previously held resources overboard.

The ambiguous word "already" is missing in the French rules. Since French is the original language of the game, the word must have been added in the English rules by the translator. I would therefore go for case B, which makes more sense and is the way I played this far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B seems to make the most sense thematically. I understand not getting rid of anything you have space for as you never know when you might need it on a trip into the unknown...but after you are filled to capacity, one would think you'd go through your stuff and decide which was most important
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

"If only we had some rope. Then we could tow our canoes behind the boat"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédrick Chaboussit
France
Niort
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Case B is the correct answer indeed with the following precision :

Highland Cow wrote:

Case B:
I can then continue to claim X more new resources and dump X-1 of my previously held resources overboard.

Of course you can choose which resources to keep ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
ludo naute wrote:
When your boats are all full, if you collect new resources, you have the choice: either you discard the new reources you have just got, or you get rid of some of the old resources you already have on your boats, in order to make room for the new ones.

Is this true any time I receive resources or only when performing the collect resource action of a character card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon, yes, any time.

I'm still not 100% clear on the nuances of this rule. Is it checked mid-action? At the start of each activation of a character?

Let's say:

I'm holding 10 Furs on my boats, thus have 1 empty spot.
I play the collect Wood card, strength 2, so collecting 4 Wood twice.

What is the most Wood I could end up with? Only 5 or the full 8?

IE, is it:

1a) Collect first 4 wood, only have room for 1, only get 1 wood. Boats now full.
1b) Collect second 4 wood, now that I'm full can toss 4 fur, get 4 more wood for 5 wood total.

or

2a) Collect first 4 wood, only have room for 1, get 1, now boats are full, continue by tossing 3 fur, and get 3 more wood.
2b) Collect second 4 wood, toss 4 more fur, get 4 more wood, 8 total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
From my reading of the rules I thought it was clear that case 2 is correct. Perhaps I made some assumptions while parsing that section.

However, my initial question arose because the tossing rule is described in the section on primary resource collection and it is never mentioned if this rules is particular to these cards or not. I've been playing that tossing is allowed whenever you get resources, and I suspect that that is correct, but I don't see direct support for it in the rules (2nd ed.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.