Tim Lundberg
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
I've read the manual and watched a few videos but I'm still a little bit confused on a few points.

- When closing a location what happens if you fail the check or whatever it is? Do you try again on the next turn or is the only way to lose it is to fully run through the explore deck? What happens if you then fail that?

- The rules say to banish the rest of the cards after the villain/henchman is found, or something like that. Then later is says that you can still explore closed locations if there are any cards there. In what situation can a location be closed but still have cards to explore?

- When a boon or other kind of check lists something like Intelligence and Craft followed by a number(I'm not sure if I'm giving real example. I think that's what they were.) do you need to have that specific bottom skill? Like if I didn't have craft would I roll a 1d4 or could I roll whatever my intelligence was?

- Kind of an extension to the previous question. If it turns out you can roll intelligence in that kind of situation then is there any time when you must have a specific skill and only that skill? And then if not you get a 1d4? Are those instances obvious?

- The levitate spell says something about moving a voluntary ally but I'm not entirely sure what purpose this provides? You can move to any location on your turn, right? So what possible use can this get you?

I think that's all I got for now.

EDIT: Actually, there's also something about your adventure deck card value. Like I encountered cards that said it increases the difficulty or something by the cards in your adventure deck or your adventure deck card number but I couldn't figure out what to do there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Graev wrote:
- When closing a location what happens if you fail the check or whatever it is? Do you try again on the next turn or is the only way to lose it is to fully run through the explore deck? What happens if you then fail that?

If you fail after defeating the henchman you have to wait until you clear the location before making another attempt.

Quote:
- The rules say to banish the rest of the cards after the villain/henchman is found, or something like that. Then later is says that you can still explore closed locations if there are any cards there. In what situation can a location be closed but still have cards to explore?

Some locations will have cards after they are closed. See the General Store for an example.

Quote:
- When a boon or other kind of check lists something like Intelligence and Craft followed by a number(I'm not sure if I'm giving real example. I think that's what they were.) do you need to have that specific bottom skill? Like if I didn't have craft would I roll a 1d4 or could I roll whatever my intelligence was?

You can use any one of the listed skills. So use your intelligence in your example.

Quote:
- Kind of an extension to the previous question. If it turns out you can roll intelligence in that kind of situation then is there any time when you must have a specific skill and only that skill? And then if not you get a 1d4? Are those instances obvious?

If you do not have any of the listed skills then you use a d4 (exception on recharging, if you do not have the skill you cannot attempt to recharge a card).

Quote:
- The levitate spell says something about moving a voluntary ally but I'm not entirely sure what purpose this provides? You can move to any location on your turn, right? So what possible use can this get you?

It can be helpful to move a character from a closed location to an open location when it is not their turn.

Quote:
I think that's all I got for now.

EDIT: Actually, there's also something about your adventure deck card value. Like I encountered cards that said it increases the difficulty or something by the cards in your adventure deck or your adventure deck card number but I couldn't figure out what to do there.

Veteran banes have their difficulty increased by the adventure number. Burnt Offerings is number 1 so you increase the difficulty by 1 during that adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If you fail the check the first time, (usually from a henchman's ability allowing you to) you'll have to run the location deck out to try again. Failing that, a character in that location can try once per turn to do so.

2. Some locations, like the General Store, will put random cards on the location after you close it (and banish the cards previously there). While the location is officially closed for purposes of the villain, characters can still explore the new cards (usually good stuff) placed there.

3. If a single check lists multiple skills, read it as X or Y. So, in a check that requires Intelligence or Craft, you can choose to use either. If you choose to use Craft and don't have it, that's when you use the 1d4.

5. One strategy is to use this after closing a location so that, in the event that another character encounters the villain, you could cover an open location (and possibly close it temporarily) in the hopes of cornering the villain.

6. To check the adventure deck number, look at the number (top-right corner) of the scenario card you are playing, the adventure card that has the scenario you are playing, or the box where it comes from. Treat scenarios from the base set (labeled "B") as 0.

If you are facing a Mercenary during the Attack on Sandpoint scenario (from adventure 1), the Mercenary's check is 1 more difficult. Face the same mercenary during Undead Uprising (from adventure 2), and the check is 2 more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Lundberg
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
Okay, I think I understand things better now.

I actually just have one last question: Are you limited in the amount of times you can explore a location? I know you can only freely do it once but after that could you explore the location as many times as possible through use of any available cards like allies and blessings?

The wording on that section was a little confusing because it said something about generating additional explorations only counting as 1, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Graev wrote:
Okay, I think I understand things better now.

I actually just have one last question: Are you limited in the amount of times you can explore a location? I know you can only freely do it once but after that could you explore the location as many times as possible through use of any available cards like allies and blessings?

Yes. How many times you want and can. The only limitation is about explorations gained through chained effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Lundberg
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
Cool cool.

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already, definitely check out the FAQ for this game, and also download the new version of the rule book. These are more or less required reading at this point.

http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.