Hide
15 Posts

Neuroshima Hex!» Forums » Variants

Subject: N5H3-X New VIRUS army !! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dusty crispy
msg tools

Fluff....A Deadly Virus has broken out N5H3. This New X strand is super powefull, capable of infecting Plants, Animals, Computers and Mutants alike. While there are ways of preventing the symptoms, there is no known cure...save one, Death.

Rules to follow in next post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
Ok Rule time.

Where else but the HQ to start.

This Army's HQ ability is very unique to say the least.
Think of the HQ as an "infected cell", at the cost of 1HP point you can create a "pathogen" in any space next to the HQ.

I have included 10 "pathogen tokens" at the bottom of the army, So you can simply print them off with the rest of the army. But remember not to DRAW them like other tiles in your army. These are TOKENS they can only be made never DRAWN.

Pathogen, have a base of 1 int, 1 melle and the ability to move.

Now if one of these pathogen hits an enemy HQ, That HQ becomes an "infected cell" !! ...and you can now start siphoning off its HQ points, to create Pathogens to do your bidding.

.........This may sound completed, but its really not that bad and is how almost any virus works.

So you HQ ability is once per turn, you are able to create a token off any or all "infected cells" or hosts on the board.

Rules on Mods to come in next post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
Mods

Mods in this army work VERY DIFFERENT then normal.

First.

Mods do NOT effect your solders, or "tokens"

They can ONLY effect HQs or "Hosts"
and in general, the buff the quality of the token that is created by it.

Ex. Your HQ has a Int boost and a melee boost mod attached....It now makes tokens with 2 int, 2 melee and the ability to move.

Second.

With the exception on "the doubler" Your mods can effect Hosts up to 4 spaces away, in the direction they are pointing.
(I used the double symbol, because there was nothing else on the Hex create tool kit.....But it should be MORE then double)

Tile by tile break down in next post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
HQ --May make one token per turn in any adjacent space
Battle-
Push-
Grab-

Crazy Castle- This should have the same effect as castling, BUT instead of castling two pieces you control. You must Castle with a piece you control and an enemy piece.

Move-

Body Regection- Put an ememy tile on the board back to its hand. (Does not work on HQs, Does 1 HP damage to the Dancer)

Netters-

The Doubler- Attached Hosts can make double the amount of tolkens per turn as normal. (This effect does stack)

melee mod- Tokens made have an extra melee power, in the same direction as there base one.

Medic Mod- Lets Hosts make tolkens without the loss of life.

Int Mod- Tokens are now made with higher Int.

Spiting Mod- Tokens made may use a range attack.

PATHOGEN TOKENS- Dont Draw these.

Some notes to follow....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
NOTES

GETTING NETTED SUCKS!

You can NOT make ANY tokens AT ALL.
Not from your base or any other infected bases on the board.

Luckly there are MAY WAYS to get a netter off of your HQ

If any one has any questions. I would be happy to reply.

Original play testing is going very well. The army while a little off the wall, is so far proving to be fairly well balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not fully understand the meaning of the pathogens, what do they do? Can you provide a session report with images of how the game progresses over a couple of turns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
Hey Rustan !

Thank you so much for having a look at the army.

The Dancer is my Favorite Nhex army of all! It helped me understand the game more, and was key army I used for testing.

Anyway, I'll do my best to explain, but I fear my explanation will make it seem more complicated then it really is.

It may be Easyer just to think of what a virus is, and what a virus does.

There is a host, the virus takes the hosts energy, and uses it to make pathogens that carry the virus to other hosts...to use there energy to make more pathogens...ect

So the origanl host is your HQ, think of this like an "infected cell"
If you like you can think of it as carrying 20 pathogens inside of it.

Every turn, you can damage yourself for 1hp and make a pathogen beside you base.

Should even one of these pathogens hit another HQ, that HQ is now infected.

You now have the abilty to create pathogens out of you opponents HQ

So you can eat away at his HP instead of your own, in order to make more pathogens

....I'll go over the opening moves of a game in a bit.....
It actully is a lot Easyer then it sounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
Ok here is some pics of an opening game.

PIC1

Borgo moves first and takes the middle
N5H3 goes in the corner, uses one HP to make a pathogen

PIC2
Borgo lays down the 2 tiles he draws.

PIC3
N5H3
Ditches GRAB
places MOD (it effects hole board in strait line not just one space)
moves first pathogen up and to the right
makes second pathogen (with buffed melle) due to mod
moves it up to the left
Then starts a battle

NOTE: The Borgo HQ is now infected...because it was hit by a pathogen.

Lucky for Borgo...They get a net!! This is bad for N5H3 it is now no longer able to make pathogens out of ANY HQs, not yours AND not borgos.

N5H3
Ditches...some tile I forgot to put in pic
places the medic mod.
uses the medic mod to "crazy castle" with the netter.
Now that is is un-netted
N5H3 can make a pathogen out of the borgo bases (using borgos HP)
and make a pathogen out of its own base( using your HP, Medic Mod is netted so it don't work)
BOTH pathogens have a Melee Buff, since both HQs are in line with the mod.
Then it moves the Pathogen, made by its own base up and to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
Hope that Helps Rustan.

It not only shows how pathogens are made, but also How MODs work in this army...Which like I say are SOO differnet in this army mabey i should not even call them MODs

PS. Your pretty much my Hero, So I really do hope you like the army.
I really am Honored that you inquired about it, If you have any more questions don't be shy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm glad you like the dancer.

I missed that the pathogens had move before.

Ok, now I see better how it works. I'll give my thoughts on this theme and list some suggestions. Please ignore any and all of it as you see fit, or use what you like. I like to push the game in some non-traditional directions and what I think is balanced and fun is not what everyone thinks.

I think this is too powerful and has too many special rules, especially that the pathogens are created outside of the normal tile drawing.

Consider the pic3 example. You place a tile, move a tile, create a tile and move it. Then play a battle. This is extremely powerful and flexible, my guess is it would be frustrating to play against. Especially you run no risk of getting bad draws, that the creation ability is always present. Same as steel police net, a little less overpowered in itself but unlimited.

The infection has the same issues as the neojungle toxic which i really do not like, it is way too important if you draw it early and manage to get it to infect the enemy hq compared to having no effect when it infects almost anything else nor having any synergy with the rest of the otherwise interesting neojungle abilities.

Take a look at my bunnies: New army: Super Muntant Killer Bunnies (alpha testing stage) where tiles spawn next to hq but have mobility. It gives some options for the opponent to contain the horde and could work well here (contain the disease).

Instead of being completely disabled by nets (too unbalanced, some armies do not have nets at all and too depending on getting a net early/when this army has no way to avoid) I would suggest netted hq means you take 1 damage if you deploy a unit while under a net.

The pathogens could be more thematic if you reuse the explosives function from sharrash (their only ability is that at the very start of a battle (no ini) they explode the tile they are pointing to). If the pathogens have mobility (only some of them, with mods to allow all to move) and infect in one or more directions (vary to make it more interesting), and infection happens at the start of a battle and the tile is then removed, it would give some interesting options. Infected units could then be used to place new infections. A unit/hq that is already infected and is infected again increases its infection count by 1. At the end of battle a unit or hq takes as many damage points as its infection count.

Making infection the full focus of the game could prove interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
LOL, I don't like the Dancer....I LOVE the DANCER!!! no word of a lie.

As for N5H3...Its pretty much going to have to stay the way it is...for now only cause...I'm going to become a daddy in about 2 weeks!! lol, so not alot of time for any huge changes.

Just a couple things I thought I would add.

While it is a powerful army...It is really week to turtleing. Also has a low number of battle tiles (I admit 4 may be to many, I may go back to 3)

Turtling is also very effective, because if you have no spots to make guys beside your base, N5H3 can not make guys there, even if infected.

I really like the theme...and being dependant on an early infect was what I was trying to go for.

I'm not a pro or anything, Just a guy who loves the game...so I don't claim to have gotten 100% perfect balance.

Some armys don't have nets...while true...I knoticed these armys usally don't have nets for very good reasons....lol ....Sharrash and Outpost kick but!! lol

The cost of 1hp per turn does add up, you have to do it everytime you make a guy. This is what I was trying to acomplish game play wise....

You take a Dip in HQ points...all trying to get the critical infect hit...Then hope there are enough turns in the game left to make up to damage you have done to yourself.

.....anyway....some more notes in the next post of some little rules i was tweeking with for ballance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
The Hand, works more like grenade, only works if next to an "infected HQ"

ie...your HQ or the other persons after it has been infected.

Some notes on how to ward off Damage done to your HQ by infection.

Turtling helps...If there is no room to make a guy, he can't make a guy.

Mobily armies may be able to "piggy back" off a med mod, if they can position there HQ in its range, They won't loes HQ points when pathogens are made.

NETTING...Netting the N5H3 base shuts down its ability to make pathogens out of BOTH bases.

GET NETTED....This is one, me and my bud have been toying with, But for now if your base is netted by one of N5H3s netters then it is unable to make pathogens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
Anyway, Thank you so much once again.

I can't express how, homered and down right giddy I am to be able to chat with you.

I do hope you print off the army and give them a try.

They may not be perfectly ballanced, but they are very fun to play.

I love the Idea, and the do do what a VIRUS does. So theam wise I really don't wanna change.

Things like, lowering the amount of battle tiles, or lowering the base Int of the pathogens, or taking away there move abilty...I would be happy to conseder.

But like I say, Im a daddy soon...So I may not have the time, But I give you full permision to tweek things like that as you see fit.

THANKS AGIAN!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! No problem, I wanted to give my view but fully understand you want to keep it as it is. Making the start more critical is not the direction I like though, I enjoy mid-game intricate positioning with lots of options

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
Ya no problem.

I guess I should also note that the scooper and spies can steal the effects of mods.

If you do dicide to print them off and give them a try, I do think you'll be happy.

As battle tiles don't come very often (even less if there was 3) most games do spill over into the mid game, and alot of options open up.

you fight tooth and nail, ripping away at your own health, until you make "contact" and then pray and hope you got enough time left in the game to make up the difference in health. Its a really fun experience.

Keep in mind, To win VS this army, you don't really need to worry about attacking it. Since it has to attack its self. Just stay on Defence. Though, high attacks can put alot of pressure on N5H3 as well, since its health dips low fast.

If you still feel its over powered from there, you could start changing things like, take away the movement of pathogens...but allow the HQ to both make a pathogen, and move a single pathogen per turn (kinda like Doomsday machine HQ power)

If not saying the Army is 100% perfect, and does not need to go threw "the ringer"
Just that I don't got the time to do that right now...Baby on the way, I live in Japan and only got 1 friend that speaks English and will play the game with me.

Like I say, If you want to mess around with it, I would be honored.

Just keep in mind what a virus does. (Hurt the host in order to spread itself)

With the way I have got the theme set up, it does this very nicely.

Yes..in Order to have a good chance at winning it has to "make contact" asap.

But...To stand a good chance of winning...
Outpost must move and shoot...
Molch and Steel police must turtle...
Dancer must clear the board...
Smart must set up high Damage combos....
NeoJungle needs to set up the motherland....

almost every army has something it has to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.