Subject: Getting into the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Looking into possibly getting into this game with a coupe friends. A couple quick questions:

1) Is one base set + expansions good enough for casual play? If we decide to go to OP events, would we each need a starter set?

2) Many of the highly recommended expansions (Valdore, Reliant, Defiant, etc) seem to be generally unavailable. Are these expected to be more easily available again in the future? If not, I'm assuming the less popular ones will still be fine for casual fun play, but will it make OP pretty much futile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One starter and some expansions are plenty for at home play. In OP it really depends on your local players. Ideally you would want two starters for the templates, dice, and damage deck, but if your local players are nice and understanding, there is no reason why you could not share a set with your opponent.

You can also look at buying the items you need off ebay, but most of the time, it is cheaper to just buy a second starter than to get templates, dice and the deck seperately on evilbay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten several people into the game by lending them stuff that I'm not using in the OP events. Makes it a bit easy since I play Dominion and that leaves my Federation stuff pretty much all available. Everybody who has borrowed stuff so far has ended up buying their own base set and one or more expansions for their chosen faction. This games just hooks people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
msg tools
mbmb
1) There are several threads with more details on this, but short answer is yes it is for casual play. For OP events you do each need a starter so that you have movement tokens / dice /etc.

2a) You can find most on Amazon or Ebay, including the Valdore on Amazon as of the time of this post. Most are also in the local stores here, and several main distributors have them in stock. I would order it from amazon/ebay or even better, talk to your local game stores and see if they can order it for you (to support your local store).

2b) will it make OP pretty much futile? - No, it will not, it will be harder, but you do not have to have any specific release (or even specific few releases) to make a good OP ready fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For casual play, one starter set is all you need if you're content with just flying single ships, but the game really comes alive when you start controlling multiple ships. I think this game was specifically designed and balanced for 100-point fleets, although it's flexible enough to work with just about any point limit you want.

For competitive play, up to three people could share a starter set if the other players are willing to let you use their templates, range finders, and dice; but you would also most likely want at least two additional ship expansions per person.

I hold to the theory that the minimum you need to be competitive at an event is one starter and two ship expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It really depends on what race you want to play and if the venue is faction pure. The starter comes with some good cards but most are unique with the notable exception of the Antimatter mines. That is why I have only bought one starter but I have all the expansions. I have consistently come in 2nd place in our local OP events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
I hold to the theory that the minimum you need to be competitive at an event is one starter and two ship expansions.

Seconded. It's a bit to get started, but not that much. And don't worry about not having any of the prize ships. None of them have broken the game (yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polymathmatic wrote:

1) Is one base set + expansions good enough for casual play? If we decide to go to OP events, would we each need a starter set?

One starter + an expansion is more than enough for casual play. Get a Dominion ship and you can play 4 player casual battles at home with all 4 factions!

As for OP events - just call ahead. As a TO I usually have an extra starter that's opened for people to borrow if they need. Most of the people I play with are okay with others borrowing dice and templates, especially if its your first tournament. I would say if you attend a few OP events you should have your own stuff at that point.

polymathmatic wrote:

2) Many of the highly recommended expansions (Valdore, Reliant, Defiant, etc) seem to be generally unavailable. Are these expected to be more easily available again in the future? If not, I'm assuming the less popular ones will still be fine for casual fun play, but will it make OP pretty much futile?

Looking over the list I played last night... not one OP Prize item was in it. They are good, but they're not the end all of everything. You can take a crap fleet into an OP and do very well by piloting better than the other player. I would say that how you maneuver is the single most important thing in this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.