Hanabi» Forums » Variants

Subject: 5s with other effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: a-faire [+] a-finaliser [+] [View All]
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This variant is to make games a little harder in highly experienced groups. I think they work better with 4 players at least, although they may work with 3 as well.

In addition of providing a clue token when completing a colour, 5-value cards have the following negative effects. You may use any set of 5 of these effects and attach any effect to any colour. However, you must decide which coloured 5 has which effect before you start the game.

- remove a Strike token from play. If this is the last card played in the whole game, players do not lose even if two other strike tokens had been used previously.
- if possible, lose a clue token instead of gaining one.
- the two players to your left must immediately discard a card. They will take their turns as normal. Immediately gain two clue tokens.
- until the end of your next turn: cards played must all be of the same colour. Any cards played that are of a different colour from the first card played are discarded and trigger a Strike token.
- until the end of your next turn: cards played must all be of the same value. Any cards played that are of a different value than the first card played are discarded and trigger a Strike token.
- until the end of your next turn: no clues may be given.
- until the end of your next turn: no cards may be discarded.
- until the end of your next turn: no cards may be played.
- until the end of your next turn: no clues may be about card colours.
- until the end of your next turn: no clues may be about card values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it !!!!

beri2 wrote:

- the two players to your left must immediately discard a card. They will take their turns as normal. Immediately gain two clue tokens.

His hand is reduced permanently or he draws ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good question. I have not playtested this yet, so you can choose your way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In normal Hanabi, the 5s have a bonus to add some extra value to finishing off a color to counterbalance the inherent preference to expand all colors evenly (because it's good to play the card which is the prerequisite for the greatest number of subsequent plays). Don't you think that attaching these negative effects to 5s will hurt this dynamic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They may imply another way of playing - 'Ok, we have 5s in our hands. Should we play them asap to get rid of them and unclog our hands or wait until the game end with unusable cards in our hands?

Also, you will notice some effects can turn neutral or even positive if properly anticipated. All effects but the first two can be made positive this way (remember this variant is intended only for highly experienced players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Has anyone had the chance to give this variant a shot?
Unfortunately, my players aren't experienced enough, so I couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.