Subject: British battlecruiser rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Choong
United Kingdom
Chatham
Kent
flag msg tools
I have recently been experimenting with using some of the pieces from Axis & Allies 1941 in the 1942 games. The first of these is a minor wrinkle for the British:

At the beginning of the game, one of the British cruiser pieces (player's choice) can be replaced with the 'Hood' piece from A&A 1941. This represents Britain's only surviving battlecruiser in the spring of 1942, HMS Renown, and the varying cruiser/destroyer forces she kept in company.

This piece operates as a cruiser in all respects (Move 2, destroyed on first hit) except that she attacks and defends at 4 or less. If the battlecruiser is destroyed it cannot be rebuilt and is out of the game.

I have similar ideas for using the 'Akagi' aircraft carrier pieces to represent the elite divisions of Japan's pre-Midway carrier force, but am still working out rules for those. Meanwhile, give the British battlecruiser a try and let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Tremble
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it is a nice little twist to the game. I plan on a weekend nite game session with a few friends and will try it out. thanks

Although the Royal Navy always designated Hood as a battlecruiser, some modern writers such as Anthony Preston have classified her as a fast battleship, since Hood appeared to have improvements over the fast Queen Elizabeth-class battleships. On paper, Hood retained the same armament and level of protection, while being significantly faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.