Subject: Honest opinions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rooster
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am right on the edge of buying Descent but just need a bit more input. First a little background. I have two teenage sons and my brother in law that like to get together to play various board games. Right now we are on a Dominion kick but we have played games like 7 Wonders, Escape and had a lot of fun with Relic too. Descent seems like a good fit for us, we like the dungeon crawl/rpg aspects of the game. However I have seens some comments in the forums that the game can get stale. So my question is does this game keep the excitement level high or does it get boring after you have been through a few encounters? I would like to think it would but would appreciate the honest input from the people who have actually played it. I will be buying it from my local game shop, and at $80 I want to be sure it will be a solid investment. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You sound like a lot of my mates, so I'd say it's a great buy. You'll get about 20 hours out of the base game, but if you are happy to spend money, there is plenty of stuff to keep this game fresh and going.

It's a little heavier than the games you have mentioned, but not in my opinion to a degree that will cause problems.

Unlike something like Hero Quest a lot of the quest require slightly different objectives, so it's not just walk through a few rooms and kill monsters. (BTW I actually enjoy Hero Quest anyhow).

From what you have stated, I'd recommend this game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This link has the rules that you could download, also has the FAQ which is helpful

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Also we here at BGG have been compiling an UFAQ. These questions have been submitted to FFG and have been answered. It is a lot, but very helpful

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10166736#10166736

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait and try the new co-op variant that's coming out, then make up your mind...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
shnar wrote:
Wait and try the new co-op variant that's coming out, then make up your mind...

-shnar

I think that's going to be a long, long time coming. End of 2014. Looks like it's only for FLGS game nights first.

That's what I was trying to refer to, try at a game night at your FLGS and if you like it, pick it up. If the vs mode doesn't play so well, you at least have co-op coming out.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, if your main games are Dominion, 7 Wonders, and Escape, then prepare for a big step up in weight if you go with Descent. With the base game alone, the rules aren't too heavy, but still quite a bit more than what you may be used to. With expansions, it adds even more to that. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Incidentally, $80 for the base game seems awfully high. You can easily find it online for half that.

He mentioned he'd be supporting his FLGS. They typically sell at MSRP, despite that you can find it on Amazon or CSI for less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group was previously playing games on the 7 Wonders/Dominion/Power Grid level of difficulty when I picked up Descent. About half shied away, and the other half love it so much we now make it a bi-weekly get together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Stuntebeck
United States
McFarland
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Honestly, if your main games are Dominion, 7 Wonders, and Escape, then prepare for a big step up in weight if you go with Descent. With the base game alone, the rules aren't too heavy, but still quite a bit more than what you may be used to. With expansions, it adds even more to that. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not for everybody.

I would definitely agree - plan on someone spending significant time understanding the rules. Even after you think you've got the rulebook down, you'll find that you still have a lot of questions come up during gameplay. It can be a bit frustrating and bog things down.

I got Descent 2.0 for my 10 year old for Christmas. Prior to breaking out the game, I spent numerous hours reading the rules, reading the FAQ, watching every part of Rodney Smith's Watch it Played series on YouTube, etc. Yet, when we finally sat down to start playing, I found myself floundering at times.

I don't want to discourage you at all, it is a fantastic game. Even though the campaign mode recommends 20 hours of play time, the replay ability is quite high - you can switch roles from campaign to campaign, do different quests each campaign - way, way more than 20 hours of play in the box. Also, the community on BGG here is absolutely fantastic with support for questions, as is Fantasy Flight Games.

So, just be aware that there is a learning curve. I would recommend watching Rodney's videos as a start and see if is your group's cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group of mostly married guys plays about once a month (more if we could) and can't really get enough of it. We all played Descent: First Edition (though I had the least experience with it), so moving to Second Edition was a no-brainer. There are quite a few moving parts to it and it can be daunting for those not familiar with similar games.

As to whether or not the game will get stale, that will depend on your group. Unfortuantely, Descent isn't for everyone so you may want to discuss it with those guys/gals (if you haven't already).

If you start adding on the additional expansions, lieutenant packs, etc, there is quite a bit of material at your disposal to keep things different.

I'm excited about the new Official Co-op coming out. I've started teaching my wife to play and this would allow us to run a two hero setup without having to worry about who plays OL. This will make sure this hits the table more often than the current once-monthly rate we've been on.

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rooster
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
First of all, thank you to everyone who responded. I am definately leaning more towards picking the game up after hearing the feedback.

Dexter345 wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:
Incidentally, $80 for the base game seems awfully high. You can easily find it online for half that.

He mentioned he'd be supporting his FLGS. They typically sell at MSRP, despite that you can find it on Amazon or CSI for less.

I have found the game online for much cheaper but I have an outstanding local game shop that I buy all my games from. I want to make sure they stick around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rooster13 wrote:
First of all, thank you to everyone who responded. I am definately leaning more towards picking the game up after hearing the feedback.

Dexter345 wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

I have found the game online for much cheaper but I have an outstanding local game shop that I buy all my games from. I want to make sure they stick around.

Do they run any specials or coupons. My local shop emails us 25% off your entire purchase. I just wait for that and buy in bulk. Perhaps they have an email list you don't know about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing Descent with my long-time D&D buddies and we mostly like it. Aside from the theme, there is very little about it that is D&D-like though, so be aware of that. It's more like a tactical miniatures game with a fantasy theme. That being said we like the campaign mode quite a bit, as seeing your hero's abilities grow over time is rewarding. FFG did a good job of putting story and characters into the quests, but while actually playing them it definitely feels more like a board game than an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Stuntebeck
United States
McFarland
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mekane -

Curious, I'm guessing you've played Castle Ravenloft/Wrath of Ashardalon/Legend of Drizzt. I've never played them. Would you consider these more D&D like than Descent? If so, how?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Schmitz
United States
Las Vegas
NV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking back when I was your sons ages with my brothers and my dad playing OL, I would have loved this game and wanted to play it every day. If you have a creative one in the group they will love putting together new quests , story lines and what every else they can imagine. I also like the fact that FFG has got a nice Quest Vault in Beta that you can create and print a whole quest line of your own or use top rated player made quests.
My brother and I play Descent once or twice a month and then break in between with some other games. We do it that way because we are very competitive and it gets pretty tense between us, so we break it up with a co-op game the following week so we don't kill each other. But we really have enjoyed the game and have been playing both vanilla and 2.0 for about 8 months together and at this rate with the expansions we have we figure we still have about 2 or 3 more years to go before we get some more content.

My opinion: buy it, play it, and if you don't like it the resale value of these games stay pretty high. GL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
tdstunte wrote:
Mekane -

Curious, I'm guessing you've played Castle Ravenloft/Wrath of Ashardalon/Legend of Drizzt. I've never played them. Would you consider these more D&D like than Descent? If so, how?

Indeed - we've played all three. It felt more like D&D in the sense that we had just finished a long 4th edition campaign so the names, rules, and powers felt familiar. The grid-based combat is there, in a simplified form. The individual quests didn't have as much flavor, but everything else about the games felt really familiar. Enough to give us a taste of D&D without anyone having to spend a lot of time making up an adventure as DM.

There's something else that I can't quite put my finger on too. I guess it's basically that in Descent you feel like you are trying to game a system. Every detail and action is important to weigh tactically, since the victory conditions are so specific and (sometimes) contrived. In the D&D Adventure games it's a more straightforward "attack-kill-monster-get-treasure" vibe. Oh, and the monsters stay dead ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blackethical
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it can also be a good bridge to the roleplaying world. It fills the kind of low-prep time niche that D&D used to fill for me, with a bit of optional low intensity roleplaying as you see fit.

If your guys like it they can go on to other more interesting rpgs but for me Descent fills the 'junk food' rpg cravings with a relatively simple system to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tdstunte wrote:
Mekane -

I have them all and Descent. Descent's the much more enjoyable game of the lot (IMHO). I wouldn't consider the D&D board games more RPG than Descent either.

I played D&D with full miniatures and terrain for about 20 years. None of the current board games replicate the D&D RPG.

It's important to know what you are getting with these games and it's certainly not a Roleplaying game. They are all tactical miniatures games with RPG elements (Descent much more so).

The D&D Board games have very little character advancement, no proper campaign and have very simplistic rules (Too simple for my taste, but great for people not into heavy games). They are relatively quick to play, random board layouts and random and automated monster spawning and movement and probably the biggest selling point purely coop (Except for Legends of Drizzt, which also has some team versus scenarios).

I guess all I'd say is make sure you know what you are chasing from the game, if it's full on RPG fare you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a game with Character development and campaign play with tactical miniature action Descent is great. If you want a quick one off sessions game with some variance in the scenarios you play with coop action the D&D board games fit that niche (Sadly designed around the 4th Ed D&D rule set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My play group loves the campaign mode and most of these players were not big board/rpg gamers at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.