Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Hard time finding game for camping trip rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Alcott
msg tools
My father and brothers are going on a tent camping trip next September and i have a dream that i will turn it into a gaming camping trip.

The issue i am having is coming up with a game for us. My dad used to play hundreds and hundreds of hours of pencil and paper D&D when he was in high school and my brother are big rpg fans on PC and consoles. So i had thought some type of RPG game would be perfect (plus i dont own one yet, only 2-3 years of board gaming so far).

I have looked at Descent 2nd edition, mage knight, etc. I have been watching videos (Watch it played FTW), reading forums, google searching and about everything i can think of to try and find something. The games mentioned above seem to fit the bill but they all have so many pieces and cards and im worried about them at a camp site.

Basically im looking for an overload rpg game that either doesn't have a ton of cards or small markers or one that does and could easily have all that tracked in a book or on paper or maybe even an ios app.

I need a way to reduce some of the items down so its all easier to keep track of sitting outside at a picnic table next to a fire. A game with a heavy board and miniatures i think would be ok but when you start tossing cards around or heath tokens etc i get worried.

Any suggestions are welcome and thank you in advanced.

Hob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may not be the advice you're looking for, but my suggestion would be a deck of cards. I love camping and I love board games, but the two, in my opinion, don't really mix that well. Night air and morning dew are neither one good for cardboard and paper. Plus, factor in that you might wind up miserable in a tent during the summer's worst rain (it happens to all of us). I've also seen days when out of nowhere, a wind comes up that takes the dinner plates off the table.

A deck of cards is cheap and easy to replace. Enjoy the tent camping for what it is: a chance to get out, take in some fresh air and enjoy the outdoors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff_Wells wrote:
A deck of cards is cheap and easy to replace. Enjoy the tent camping for what it is: a chance to get out, take in some fresh air and enjoy the outdoors.

I agree.
However I think a small game, maybe a cheap card game, could work well.
I recently came across this: Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord
It is fairly inexpensive, it is a deck of cards, and has a fantasy dungeon-crawling theme.
As I said I noticed its existence recently, I have no idea if it is really good or not; you would have to research a bit...

Another one that I like (and is really good, so I thought to mention it, but no fantasy theme) is Hanabi. It is really really cheap in Europe; maybe it is also where you are from.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As someone who camps many times a year and brings lot of games every time, I would highly recommend against Descent or MK. At least my Descent or MK will never ever see the light of day outdoors! Awesome games, but not for camping. Depending upon where you camp, you need dice games for windy days and card games for nice days.

Dice games like Roll Through the Ages and Dungeon Roll (many others) go well with camping. I'm not ashamed to admit we even enjoy some Farkle, and Munchkin, and Fluxx while camping. Although, they are not my first choice, they work as light camping games.

I've done many deck builders and deck construction games camping. Thunderstone would even give you a bit of that dungeon diving feel. LoTR LCG works alright. Have played tons and tons and tons of Dominion while camping. Sentinels of the Multiverse can work ok and works great camping if someone has an iPad with Sentinels Sidekick.

7 Wonders is a huge camping hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameTravel.com
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
With apologies for recommending something you didn't ask for, why not just run a light RPG?

You said that your dad has done lots of roleplaying and that you and your brother like PC RPGs, so it seems like a good fit from that perspective. There are plenty of good games out there for novice GMs, and having done a fair amount of gaming outdoors myself I can attest that as long as you put a rock on your character sheets and don't use much in the way of maps, it works great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Dungeon Roll? Dice don't get dirty, and the cards you can sleeve. Get multiple copies to reduce downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutthroat Caverns is a mostly card game thats fashioned after the ever classic dungeon crawl.

As its camping, I too would also stay away from games with the too many parts and complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the Card game Bang! is a great camping game, for that western feel in the outdoors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tan
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you need an RPG that is good to carry around without worrying all the small bits usually come with them...and with about 2-4 player count...I think Rune Age in the deck building genre might fit your bill the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alcott
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies it looks like i have some games to research!

I thought about going the RP direction but having never done it myself im not sure what kind of prep work would be involved. All 4 of us have full time jobs i failed to mention in my first post that we are all a bit older with families of our own. From talking to my dad the RP stuff is a TON of work for the DM which is why i started leaning toward a board game that has all that structure and quest writing done.

I think the suggestions are spot on instead of one huge epic game i should maybe get a few of the simpler quick games that we can play.

Thanks,
Hob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done the most Magic and RFTG when camping because they do not take up much space, but they are terrible on wind days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aricall

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of has alot of pieces but sets up small and comes in a small box
Dungeon Heroes oh and if you dont mind an different theme BANG! The Dice Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
fatango308 wrote:
Sounds like you need an RPG that is good to carry around without worrying all the small bits usually come with them...and with about 2-4 player count...I think Rune Age in the deck building genre might fit your bill the best.

Right!

Actually, I bring it always with me on vacation; part is because it is relatively small and also with all the different scenarios is like half a dozen games in one box.
The only problem I see is with the Barracks on a windy day... but to a lesser extent (or more) I suppose this is the drawback of all card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My family camping trips of yore were always two family trips with a buddies family. Both of our families would sit around for hours playing hand after hand of Uno. Light, fast, cheap. I can see why it was packed along.

When I take my daughter camping in a few years Uno will go along. Hive Pocket might need to go too. I don't own it yet, but it is on the short list of games to get for me. The bakelite seems ready to stash and hike. Gets around with card problems without losing dice in the grass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.