Subject: Simplified rules for children rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple of games that involved my children. While they are fine at understanding the rules and how to apply them, they are clearly overwhelmed by the number of choices available to them and how well they would work in the current situation. With that in mind, for the next game I will simplify it a bit by leaving each character with just their at-will powers and a daily power. The utility powers seem to be the ones that add the most confusion. This puts the adventurers at a bit of a disadvantage, so to counter that we will only draw encounter cards when a black triangle tile is drawn. This might be pushing it a bit too much in their favor though, and I'm guessing that some characters will be more nerfed than others.

I guess the only way to find out is to try it. Nice to have an alternative to HeroQuest and one that doesn't involve a DM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One At-Will is a good place to start. Add another Daily or Utility if they get the idea that it's a one-shot. I've been leaving out the Encounter cards all-together since the goal of the game is to have fun and losing seems to take that away. Eventually the challenge will be upped but that's a little ways away. Otherwise everything else is mostly the same. Most games are either exploring to find a boss tile and then bringing the boss out or exploring to just find a specific piece of loot (like the missing backpack) where there may be a boss or multiple monsters to deal with. Some of the LoD missions are a little too complicated to play with younger kidlings. In all cases the one controlling the game, although not a DM per se, is still required to provide guidance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose... but I found that by just allowing more surges in the first games, they started to figure out how and when to use their powers.

They also really liked custom scenarios that they made themselves by changing the monster deck (choosing from all 3) and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it all depends on the age of the kids. The one that I play with just turned 5 so I'm trying to keep it simple so that he doesn't get bored during setup. Once he can read the cards and rules himself I'm sure we'll be playing the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is five, so he can read the cards okay (until he comes to the names - even I have trouble with half of them and I don't know if I'm getting them right) but when it comes to combining powers, using stances, or simply choosing which card to use, it is overwhelming for him. It takes me a short while to decide and I can re-read the cards ten times faster. This game is not easy to beat for a beginner, let alone a child beginner. I think we have only won the last two adventures because we forgot to keep drawing encounter cards while attacking the villain.

My kids are really into designing adventures now, they have both completed one each for HeroQuest so it is only a matter of time before they start making them for this game - although it is somewhat less intuitive than putting stickers on a map. Godzilla will feature, I expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it out. Everyone surprised me by picking a different character, which brought the dwarf fighter into play. Except he only has one at-will power and no daily powers. It was my son playing him, so I hastily chose a utility power that would be easy to use. Apart from that, we played as I described above. The game was much more relaxed since the team wasn't getting hosed by random things, but HPs were still being lost at a steady rate that people felt threatened. It also became clear that some of the at-will powers are pretty rubbish compared to others, so were never used. With all this new data in mind, rather than making a distinction between at-will powers and other cards, I will just give each player two cards - one which can be used as many times as they like and one which is limited. Maybe give them an extra card if they go to level 2 (my son rolled a natural 20 three times in a row in one game!). That way there is a definite choice to be made. I wrote a list of the cards to use next time and left it in the box.

Didn't need to use the Healing Surges at all, so maybe getting rid of them completely will keep some edge to the game rather than making it a walkthrough. As said above, kids don't actually care about there being a low chance of losing, so removing the edge isn't a big deal for them yet. When they get older we will introduce the real rules, but until then I am happy to play "bumper bowling" DnD with them since they enjoy it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.