Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
This guide will talk you through the process of using links on the Geek step-by-step with screen shots.

By the end of this guide you will know how to create links to particular games, link to to any page on the site, create your own custom link text and create links to pages on other sites.

d10-1

Getting Started: Finding the Testing Forum and linking to Board Games.

First sign in and navigate to the 'testing forum'. (Forums - all the way at the bottom)

Note:
Posts in the testing forum don't show up on the front page and won't result in making the site messy for other users - so play around with posts to your heart's content.

Start a new thread(shortcut) and select the pull down menu 'inset geek link'

Lots of options huh?

Let's create a link to board game - so select 'board game'

This will being up a box asking for the name of the game and offering you the option to use 'alternative text'. We will come back to alternative text in a moment but for now lets go with The Settlers of Catan.

Note:
As you enter text the search box will offer you options on the right. When you see the game you wish to link to simply click on it. (This predictive function can be very helpful for when you are unsure of a game/things exact name.)

The search functions on the Geek can be a little bit pedantic. So I tend to provide a key phrase and then select the game from the options offered. Predicted results appear to be sorted by popularity so generally the game your looking for will be near the top of the predicted results. If you can't see the game/thing your looking for try adding in more text.

When you find and select the game - Press Go.

This will collapse the 'geek link' window and create a bit of code for you.

In this case:
[thing=13][/thing]

Note:
In theory if you knew the code you could just enter it and you'd have no need to use the 'insert geek link' system. On occasion this can be faster but for the most part I prefer using the 'insert geek link' menu as I find it more user friendly - each to their own.

Now select 'submit' and hey-presto:

Note:
This is the same process for a lot of other things across the Geek Sites - so via the 'geek link menu' rather than 'board game' we could have selected from a lot of other 'things':
For example:
Accessory, Designer, Mechanic, Category, Artist and Family

To show our workings if you click on the link it'll take you to that games record.

In my example The Settlers of Catan' Record.

Now if you look at the url you'll see:

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13/the-settlers-of-catan

(Goggles on)
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13/the-settlers-of-catan

Domain/ thing type / thing's id / flavour text

So this url tells us what the thing is 'board game' and this thing's ID '13'. Looking back above you'll remember that the code for the link included the ID 13. Knowing how to take relevant information from urls will be helpful in the future.

Creating Alternative link text

Lets now return to our 'testing thread'.

Lets do the same thing but this time write our own text that links to the settlers of catan record

Again select the drop down menu and select board game.

Find and select Catan again but this time enter the text that you'd link to link to the catan record in the 'alternative text box'

In my case 'classic family game' then press go

Again our code has been created for us.

Note:
Though the code is basically the same as before except the text that we wanted as the link has go in the middle between the two previous bits of code:

[thing=13]Classic Family game[/thing]

This structure is quite common across text links - if you wish to add or edit alternative text simply add it between the two bits of code.

Then press 'submit' and we have two links both which take us to the catan page.

d10-2

Linking to Individual Threads.

Next lets link to a thread. This process is slightly different as first we need to get the id of the thread we wish to link to.

To do this first navigate to a thread that you wish to create a link to, in my case the top review for The settlers of Catan.

Next look at the url - in my case:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/471448/a-good-word-for-bggs-...

Take a look at the url to get the threads ID:

Domain / thing type in this case 'thread' / things id / flavour text.

So the important information is that this is a thread and it's ID is: 471448

So lets return to our 'testing thread'

Select the 'insert geek link' menu

Then select 'thread'

Enter the ID - in our example 471448

Then select go

Again we can see the coding has been done for us.

[thread=471448][/thread]

Select submit and hey presto a link to that thread which includes the flavour text (it's original subject title).

[thread=1885556 large][/thread]

Note:
This same process would work for a geeklist, and a fair few other things, only the url would set the thing as a geeklist or something else and we would need to select 'geeklist', or whatever is relevant, from the 'insert geek link' menu.

Linking to Individual Replies.

Ok this time lets pretend we wish to link to a post in a particular thread rather than linking to the whole thread.

To do this navigate to the relevant thread and find the post you wish to link to.

In my case I want to link to a post in the review thread we linked above.

To do this we need to isolate the comment.

To do this simply click on the time stamp.

You'll now see that the post has a blue border round it and your url address will have changed

My url has also changed from:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/471448/a-good-word-for-bggs-...
to
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4324121#4324121

Here the important bits of information is:
Thing = 'article' and Id = 4324121

Next return your testing thread

Select the 'insert geek link' menu

Select 'reply' (note the ID system should really say article here)

Enter your ID and press go.

Again you'll see the code has been done for you

Then submit and there you are…

Hmmmm as you can see there isn't any defining flavour text here so my advice is to use 'alternative text' when you use these types of links.

Note:
The same process can be used to link to 'comments' on geek lists. Only in that case you need to select 'comment' rather than 'reply' from the 'insert geek link' menu.

d10-4

Linking to other Users

Linking to users (technically more than a link I suppose)

If you know the users account name:

Hmmmmmm Stargate

Insert geek link - user - enter their name - go

Creates a pretty nifty image of their account:

d10-5

Linking to any page on the Geek

This is a very special link that can be used to link to pretty much everything on the Geek Domain.

Returning to linking to users, lets say however that you wish to link to this users using text rather than embedding their details on the page.

First navigate to their profile page:

Then look at the url:

http://boardgamegeek.com/user/stargate

Next remove the domain bit but keep the rest:

http://boardgamegeek.com/user/stargate
=
/user/stargate

Note keeping the back slash is very important.

Return to our testing thread

Inset geek link - custom link

Then insert the string you've created - in my case /user/stargate

Go and submit:

bleg - that looks horrible.

Yup we need to add in alternative text for this link to look pretty.

So insert the new text and submit:

Sorted:

d10-6

Linking to any Page on the Internet

The Internet link aka the Skeleton Key link

Ok So what about linking to other sites?

Yup this is possible but isn't part of the fully automated package.

First find the page you wish to link to and take down it's url.

In my case:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aardvark

Then return to the post you wish to add the link to and write:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aardvark][/url]

Also as these are dumb links remember to add in your own flavour text.

So in my case:

Something that begins with A

Submit and there you are.

Note:
Some of you will be asking - why not use this type of link for everything?

Well you could but these are dumb links that require you to enter the flavour text yourself, likewise you need to know the exact text rather than for certain records the Geek offering you suggestions.

These links are also static in nature so unlike other links - if the page you're linking to is deleted this link won't tell other users. Dynamic links (like all of those above) will show N/A if the thing it's linking to is deleted.

Ultimately whatever works best for you is the thing to go for.

::

That's the end of the guide. You should now be able to link to all sorts of things on BGG using the insert link menu, you will also be able to create your own custom text and link to anypage in the wider world wide web.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I always thought I just had to type article in manually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tag set user and username are quirky.

With no user supplied text between the tags you get the "graphical user representation" (uber badges, avatar. microbdages, etc.). Notice this isn't just an image of all of that. You can click on downarrow to add user shown as geekbuddy, you can click on the microbadges. You click on the username or the user's avatar (well, not mine - I don't have an avatar...) to go to the user's profile page.

So [user=herace][/user] renders:
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

while [user=herace]Herb[/user] renders:
Herb

Edit as Walt points out below, here you just type "Herb" between the user tags to create hypertext instead of "graphicaluser representation." Lot quicker and cleaner than using URL tag.

2nd edit - This also conforms to way text is manipulated, such as for bolding or italicizing. (1) Type in Herb (2) Select "Herb" (3) Then do add User tag. (4) User tag set will automagically be inserted around "Herb".

With user supplied text, the text becomes a hyperlink to the user profile webpage.

So to me flipping from the user tag set to the geekurl tag set is sort of an odd jump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Liam .....

I see what you did there

mbBob, Lord of Evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this is another nit pick which is a combination of your text and BGG inconsistencies. Having many different names for something is a peeve of mine.

You use the term flavor text for what is commonly known as hypertext.

In this image BGG is using term Alternate Text: (optional)

While in this image BGG is using term Link text (Optional)

In this image BGG is asking for Link Text: and doesn't indicate that it is optional. :-(

So using four sets of terms for the same thing is, well, dumb. I'll put in a bug report on BGG stuff.

---------------
EDIT
---------------

Ok, I guess the dialogue windows are really "working as designed" so I made it a suggestion.

Inconsistency in using terms for "hypertext"

---------
Edit again(!)
---------

Took my own suggestion. Went and changed Forum Formatting wiki page to use "Alternate Hypertext" instead of "Alternate Caption." Hypertext is really a much better word there than caption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Note:
This is the same process for a lot of other things across the Geek Sites - so via the 'geek link menu' rather than 'board game' we could have selected from a lot of other 'things':
For example:
Accessory, Designer, Mechanic, Category, Artist and Family

Ok, before the quote you wrote about the "thing" tag set but now use the term in a general sense. A "designer" for instance doesn't use the "thing" tag set.

The "thing" tag set can be used for only these object types:
Forum Formatting Example - The "Thing" Tag Set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
/user/stargate

Note keeping the back slash is very important.

Return to our testing thread

Inset geek link - custom link

Typo in bold, above. You might want to discourage using original for anything but the smallest images. The default is small; medium is as wide as you can go without it getting re-sized (to medium with zoom); and megapixel images can really slow down page loads--after all, the full image is only a click away.

The character "\" is commonly known as a backslash; I would say, "leading slash".

I agree that using the standard user tool and then inserting chaotic evil text between the tags is a lot easier.

Last, given an URL you want to snag the ID out of, like "...boardgamegeek.com/thread/471448/a-good-word-for-bggs-..." you can just double click on the number to select it, then Ctrl-C or right-click / copy, whichever you're used to--very quick and easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, here is a question for you. Is there a way to generate the corresponding thread ID number if you have the article number?

When you submit a review to geekmod it gives you the corresponding article number, but not the thread ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Hey, here is a question for you. Is there a way to generate the corresponding thread ID number if you have the article number?

When you submit a review to geekmod it gives you the corresponding article number, but not the thread ID.

Doesn't seem to be a way for "Session" thread submitted to a game until the article is accepted. I just tested this and the article number doesn't really get you back to the submission.

For an "ordinary" article you can link to it via [article=#][/article] tag set in a "test" forum post (preview works too...). Then click on title in header of the fetched article. That will spin you back to the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the [article=][/article] all the time to link to reviews pending approval.

For some reason I prefer the thread ID.

Maybe knowing I can use "reply" to generate [article=][/article] will help me appreciate the article ID number more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the feedback. This remains a WIP, having had a number of false starts and a half finished draft I cobbled this together last night, while being forced to watch Sixteen Candles wow. So there is definitely room for improvement, both technically and aesthetically.

All in all I want my target audience to be new or fairly inexperienced users so some simplification or dumbing down is intentional. Likewise I want to build building blocks that will hopefully give users a tool kit and map to use explore these features themselves, rather than me showing them all the different wee nooks and crannies. (Currently busy with work stuff but I'll get to this this evening.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 1000,s of Geekmails .... over 50,000

users I have sent Geekmails to know I use lots of links in my Geekmails devil

I never use the Insert Geek Link feature

we all use the Geek in different ways and I am different gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stargate wrote:
I have 1000,s of Geekmails .... over 50,000

users I have sent Geekmails to know I use lots of links in my Geekmails devil

I never use the Insert Geek Link feature

we all use the Geek in different ways and I am different gulp

Don't worry Bob - we have you figured out...

old and chaotic - Not so much
evil - Never!
weird - Usually

whistle
Herb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing Liam...

The examples all sort of run together. How about using some "Section Headings" to break up examples.

Getting Started in Testing Forum

Example - Adding a hyperlink to a Game

Example - Adding an Avatar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
phew. i thought i was going to have to learn something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!
I never knew that about the time stamp! You just saved me bunches of time in the future! Thanks!

Since you say it is a work in progress, I hope you don't mind if I contribute:

When creating links from other sites, people who are code-resistant don't have to type the URL code, they can:
paste the link
highlight the link
Click the "url" button (located under the "insert geek link" dropdown box)
Then insert flavor text.

I find it faster, but ymmv, so it's just food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any tools for creating a external link on my blogspot.com page to games?

I'm thinking of something in the vein of the widgets for recently played games, etc, where the generator gives you HTML and BGG code to embed.

I'd like to embed a link to BGG where I had
[ url=http://boardgamegeek/item/4982] Some game [/url ]
and the game's primary image would be displayed as a clickable link to the game.
As it is I don't even know how to link to a image from BGG.

I know how to do this within BGG forums and geeklists and the like. But I can't do it externally.

edit: for some reason my 'code' tags are being ignored, and the 'some game' link is being parsed. weird!!
edit2: added spaces to prevent the parsing. 'code' blocks don't have an embedded look anymore. What's up with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the BGG Widget see /geekwidget.php. This is on your My Geek / Profile page, at the bottom of the top left box. For BGG use, you want the Display as Image option; this will also work nearly anywhere.

A BGG game URL will look like this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/19600/antike or you can just use http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/19600 The details of embedding such an URL will depend on where you embed it. I'm not off-hand familiar with Blogspot, but if they have an URL embedding tool, the previous URLs are what you need to give it. Probably the clearest way to get a game URL is to go to the game page.

You will need to get permission to use most images on BGG. Usually, clicking on an image on BGG will get you to the image's page, where several sizes of the image are available. It will also show the rights: if it says "© All rights reserved" you must contact the owner of the image; silence is not permission. Once you have permission, you click on the size you want, and that should give you the URL of the image.

I'm not sure I understand your code question. The code you quote
(with spaces removed), will link to that URL with the hyperlink "Some game"--nothing else will be shown; it will look like Some game but that is not a valid URL. The [ c ] code tag is mostly a text formatting function: it changes to a fixed width font, forces line breaks and spacing where you put them, and prevents automatic line breaks.

Unfortunately, BGG uses unique coding conventions for its forums, while Blogspot may use something standard like HTML.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
For the BGG Widget see /geekwidget.php. This is on your My Geek / Profile page, at the bottom of the top left box. For BGG use, you want the Display as Image option; this will also work nearly anywhere.

A BGG game URL will look like this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/19600/antike or you can just use http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/19600 The details of embedding such an URL will depend on where you embed it. I'm not off-hand familiar with Blogspot, but if they have an URL embedding tool, the previous URLs are what you need to give it. Probably the clearest way to get a game URL is to go to the game page.

You will need to get permission to use most images on BGG. Usually, clicking on an image on BGG will get you to the image's page, where several sizes of the image are available. It will also show the rights: if it says "© All rights reserved" you must contact the owner of the image; silence is not permission. Once you have permission, you click on the size you want, and that should give you the URL of the image.

I'm not sure I understand your code question. The code you quote
(with spaces removed), will link to that URL with the hyperlink "Some game"--nothing else will be shown; it will look like Some game but that is not a valid URL. The [ c ] code tag is mostly a text formatting function: it changes to a fixed width font, forces line breaks and spacing where you put them, and prevents automatic line breaks.

Unfortunately, BGG uses unique coding conventions for its forums, while Blogspot may use something standard like HTML.

thanks for the help.
I didn't realise there was copyright issues.

I wasn't looking for a blogspot custom tag or widget thing (I can already get HTML widgets). I did want to have a link that rather than linking to the bgg game, I would like to link to the main image and wondered if I could do it with an internal BGG tool.

say, for example to get "Risk: Legacy" I just grabbed the game id and embedded the HTML like so:

[a href=boardgamegeek/item/'id'] [img src=bgg/itemimage/'id'][/img] [/a]

my code question probably seems silly now that I realise the [c] tags do not prevent parsing of the contents, which I believed they did. Normally I expect "Code" to mean HTML or some such language and you are asking the strings within to be copied literally - no parsing - no interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to do this. The closest thing is the BGG widget. Note that your Top 10 and Hot 10 lists are customizable, so you can make the widget display any games you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
A link to this should be sent to every new user!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://videogamegeek.com/wiki/page/language_neutral

Is there a slick way to produce a link to one of the Geeks own wiki pages?

I guess this works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
http://videogamegeek.com/wiki/page/language_neutral

Is there a slick way to produce a link to one of the Geeks own wiki pages?

I guess this works?

the best and easiest way, I use this format all the time

language neutral ... wow this worked with the spaces
without the spaces after / before the ]]
language neutral

and

[wikipage = language neutral]
without the spaces before / after the =
language neutral
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob's beat me to the punch... again

There are two ways to create, I presume, dynamic links:

[wikipage=Page Name]
[[Page Name]]

You can also use the universal url= link (as you demonstrate frumpish)
or
The built in custom link.
Both are static (Dumb) links that won't go N/A if the thing they are linking to is deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Burns
United States
Mantua
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using the url tag for everything... I feel silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.