Subject: Color Scheme for Golems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to share a test-run of a paint scheme for the golems . . . I'm not much of a miniature painter, but games look soooo much better when the minis are painted. With the sub-zero temps locking us all in the house, I gave it a shot:

Not sure what I think about the gold. I thought about gluing a rock in his hand . . . they can throw boulders, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good to me. Gold has always been the best accent for anything blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty good to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan Myers
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fantastic! Are you planning to keep all of the blue army a bluish hue? If so, that's a great way to go. And gold does look great with the blue.

For mine, I think I'm going to go more by the box art and do them in actual sand tones - light yellow, brown, and reds. I like how there is lightning or something in the cracks. Any tips on doing a white wash that might achieve that effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping the army blue? Yes - blue will be the underlying color for all the Daquan figures.

When I drybrushed the figures I didn't use bright white, I mixed a couple drops of my base color with the white to give it a very light tint of the base coat.

But it was a pretty quick paint job.

1. Prime in black.

2. Base coat in a light bluish-purple, trying to leave the deep cracks black where you can.

3. Ink wash the base coat with black ink. You can make you own ink by watering down black paint to a very thin, mostly water consistency.

4. Allow to dry.

5. Drybrush aggressively all over with white with a couple drops of base coat color in it.

6. Paint shoulders, wrists, groin in a bright gold metallic.

7. Paint the shield icons in silver metallic.

8. Paint the eyes and inside the mouth orange.

9. Dress the base. Watered down white glue across the top of the base, dip it in flock, add some rocks and foliage.

I am still toying with the idea of making the cracks red/orange to look like they are made of lava inside, but it might be too much work for too little payoff. This way was really easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of painting them a stone colour, but I do like the look of yours. Clean and effective. And yes, the gold works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray F
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually thinking about the color scheme for those as I was getting ready to paint them this weekend. I'm toying with the idea of painting the crevices in between their rock plates an orange-red to simulate hot magma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I ever get around to painting mine, I'll probably leave the bases unmodified. I love finished bases but I want to expand the colors but I still want a common identifier. I'll likely paint the golems a light sandy color with blue accents on armor. Bases will remain their distinctive blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greybeard17 wrote:
I was actually thinking about the color scheme for those as I was getting ready to paint them this weekend. I'm toying with the idea of painting the crevices in between their rock plates an orange-red to simulate hot magma.

I mentioned that very same thing up-thread. It sounds awesome. But I wasn't sure my painting skills were up to it, and I thought it might take a bit too much work. The hard part is making it "glow" with red in the crevices (almost a neon red) and then highlighting it in bright orange. The crvices are so tiny, I thought it would be a very difficult proposition to pull off well . . . but I would *love* to see your results!

My attempt would look like red cracks between the plates, not actual magma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've painted a grand total of one (1) minature in my life, but I'm prepping to paint all my Runewars and BattleLore figures at the moment. I've been thinking about those cracks and crevices and was wondering if you could wash it in orange (or blue/white) on top of the base coat and then dry brush on top of that. Would the borders of the dry-brush and the cracks be too stark that way?

I've got a lot of experimenting to do, but I really want to get that bluish lightning look to the inside of the Golems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Sobol
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Looks great! But I agree that the gold stands out little too much. You can give a wash of thinned black or brown, then drybrush the excess areas with silver to give it more tarnished look and maybe then some greenish drybrush on flat areas to make it look even tarnishier ;p
Still looks great as it is! Keep on painting mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.