Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

12 Realms» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game: Snow White and Red Riding Hood beat up a cat and a pirate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
I played the first game with my girlfriend. We randomized the whole setup aspect, leaving us to play and Bone Island against Jack Rackham and Cherry Blossoms against Bakeneko. I played as Little Red Riding Hood and started in Cherry Blossoms, while my girlfriend defended Bone Island as Snow White.

I started the game by grabbing a treasure, but when it was my girlfriend's turn, we noticed that she had no talents that allowed her to take anything, so what she did was buy some town cards. Her one regenerating gold coin was quite helpful in that.
As the game went on the difference of power became more and more pronounced. Since I had a good selection of talents I was usually able to do something helpful and end the round by buying more town cards for even MORE talents; my girlfriend however had little chance and could rarely use her talents to the fullest.
This early game led me a souped-up Red Riding Hood, roaming the lands with her personal retinue of Paladins and Knights, while Snow White kept juggling what little she had, contributing where she could but ultimately feeling as if we were not even playing and the same level. I kept hopping Realms and clearing them out in one turn while Snow White ran damage control in the other realm until the cavalry on her Pegasus arrived. I even had to hold back so the Invasion marker would even move and allow the Dark Lord to appear.
When the end of the game drew closer and closer we started our final preparations and awaited the arrival of the Dark Lords. Jack Rackham was the first to arrive and was unceremoniously dispatched by Snow White and her three Senseis. I cleaned up the rest of the Realm, then we both switched over and arrived just in time to punch Bakeneko back to where he came from. We had won, but it felt, for loss of a better word, empty.

The game was fun, no doubt about that, but the boss battles are really quite anticlimactic. We also felt the whole experience was a little light for us. Next session we'll add in all the extra rules and see how this makes the game feel. All in all though I can see myself playing 12 Realms quite a bit when I'm in the mood for some simple gaming on the side and I'm especially excited for when my son is old enough to play with his parents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.