Subject: Rationale for objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played this, but I'm just wondering if the setup cards or anything else gives any thematic justification for why each side wants to occupy hills, or whatever the VP objective happens to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
Haven't played this, but I'm just wondering if the setup cards or anything else gives any thematic justification for why each side wants to occupy hills, or whatever the VP objective happens to be.

Nope. One of my disappointments. But I think some fiction may do the trick here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things that I always felt was lacking in games of this type is a campaign system with a real narrative . . . either a series of scenarios or an expansion with an actual map and movement areas . . . a feeling of being on campaign with your army.

I suppose it's simple enough to do, though, without having some official expansion made.

It's the narrative of a campaign that really hooks me into these types of games . . . what's going on in the gameworld for this conflict.

I know that's not the focus of BattleLore, but it would be nice to have some context. Is the Terrinoth universe very fleshed out at all, or is it more of a generic fantasy world with essentially random names assigned to the various nations/factions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantera
Sweden
flag msg tools
Noahboa wrote:

My guess is they didn't have any room on the cards for story. But the one line describing the card is with a little imagination a hint to it.
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1858718/battlelore-second-edi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking a hill is always an advantage. The deployment cards often have a special rule which is linked to the special VP conditions. Sometimes, however, a VP marker is placed in a position that doesn't have a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One can imagine the moment on the battlefield. The beasts are lined up for battle, the Flesh Ripppers yearning for blood, the Obscene ready to pummel and then the Chaos Lord shouts out the battle cry, "Ok guys, we need to get a pair of forest and hill hexes...we get a victory point for each set!" And so the armies of evil ran head long into battle...errrr, dispersed in various directions trying to make as many sets of forest and hill hexes as possible, setting up camp there and enjoying an afternoon cup of tea.

Forgive the sarcasm, but some of the VP objectives feel a little...contrived? Not so thematic?

BTW, if I am recalling properly, the only combat advantage provided by a hill hex is for ranged attackers. No defense or combat bonus for others. Correct me if I am wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you really want a strong narrative feel of why are they fighting, and what is at stake in the battle, you won't get that with a random scenario generator, which is what you get in the box.
That said, the system is perfectly fit for developing static scenarios and campaigns with lots of background and fluff, and I hope we will be seeing many of them soon, either FFG's or fanmade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
I think that if you really want a strong narrative feel of why are they fighting, and what is at stake in the battle, you won't get that with a random scenario generator, which is what you get in the box.
That said, the system is perfectly fit for developing static scenarios and campaigns with lots of background and fluff, and I hope we will be seeing many of them soon, either FFG's or fanmade.

Agreed. I hope FFG does this, somewhat like a Memoir 44 campaign book. They could even sell it direct via PDF. Huge improvement to the game with little component cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a campaign book. That would really enhance this game beyond a board game port of a wargame. I always love linked scenarios and games that last well beyond a single play through. Branching paths following victory or defeat, campaign rules, all of this would make a great game only better. I really love getting in on the ground floor of a longterm, awesome game and I hope FFG pushes BL2 in that direction. The sky is the limit for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kramer
Germany
Tübingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
I'd love to see a campaign book. That would really enhance this game beyond a board game port of a wargame. I always love linked scenarios and games that last well beyond a single play through. Branching paths following victory or defeat, campaign rules, all of this would make a great game only better. I really love getting in on the ground floor of a longterm, awesome game and I hope FFG pushes BL2 in that direction. The sky is the limit for this one.

I'm so with you on that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pantera wrote:
Noahboa wrote:

My guess is they didn't have any room on the cards for story. But the one line describing the card is with a little imagination a hint to it.
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1858718/battlelore-second-edi...

Wow, it's worse than I feared. It's going to be really hard to come up a good reason why any army would be trying to accomplish some of these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the titles of the cards are quite thematic

damming the river, send golems to dam the river, why? divert a river? flood the enemy?

another was called barrow mounds, hold the hills with tombs in where the adventures secure the relic..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.