Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Ofcourse we'll have to wait till July to find out but I think this makes sense. Notice He has two talent slots but not the "3 points each" text to help balance him out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ellis Norris
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would like that. A LOT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda hope we do get some kind of "Admiral" cards, at some point.

That way we can finally find a spot for the female Changeling/Founder, Enabran Tain, Sela, Admiral Kirk, etc.

(Wouldn't be as big a deal for the Klingons, as their "Admirals" were pretty much expected to be front-line-combat ship captains, as well - everyone else, though, had dedicated "Admirals" that definitely were not starship captains)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Most Federation Admirals ended up being nefarious jerks working some antagonistic angle, so they could be like a drawback card that costs negative points and gives you a hindrance in exchange for more fleet points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
Most Federation Admirals ended up being nefarious jerks working some antagonistic angle, so they could be like a drawback card that costs negative points and gives you a hindrance in exchange for more fleet points. :D

Lol, thats funny but I would love to see more positive/negative effect cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
There are tons of examples you could run with. Here's a few off the top of my head:

Admiral Cartwright- [-3] Once per game at the start of the planning phase, your opponent may disable one of your Captains.

Admiral Erik Pressman- [-5] Once per game at the start of the planning phase your opponent may disable all upgrades on one of your ships.

Admiral Aaron- [-6] Once per game at the start of the planning phase your opponent may force one of your ships to make a free attack with its primary weapon against another friendly ship in its forward firing arc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

I think these could actually be balanced if the -value was greater. :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
There are tons of examples you could run with. Here's a few off the top of my head:

Admiral Cartwright- [-3] Once per game at the start of the planning phase, your opponent may disable one of your Captains.

Admiral Erik Pressman- [-5] Once per game at the start of the planning phase your opponent may disable all upgrades on one of your ships.

Admiral Aaron- [-6] Once per game at the start of the planning phase your opponent may force one of your ships to make a free attack with its primary weapon against another friendly ship in its forward firing arc.

Very cool!

You could also broaden this to all factions?

Tal Shiar Operative [-3] Once per game...

Obsidian Order Operative [-6] Once per turn...

Section 31 Operative [-6] When your ship has an AUX token...

(Not sure what the Klingon equivalent would be.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonMegel wrote:

Ofcourse we'll have to wait till July to find out but I think this makes sense. Notice He has two talent slots but not the "3 points each" text to help balance him out.

Oh, it would be cool, and thematic, but I can think of TONS of ways to break that wide open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is when I point out that we see our first discard captain in the equinox.

Watch as the Chang in wave 9 lets you discard an opponent's captain, cause the game would change so much if there were more cards to disrupt captains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:

This is awesome! What do you propose for Commodore Matt Decker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
the_triangle_man wrote:
alepperd wrote:

Off the top of my head something that let's you pick your opponent's maneuver for one round, but given how many ships have to carefully maneuver to avoid going out of bounds I've always felt like however you go about it that is an ability with too much potential to oneshot a ship so I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
the_triangle_man wrote:
alepperd wrote:

Off the top of my head something that let's you pick your opponent's maneuver for one round, but given how many ships have to carefully maneuver to avoid going out of bounds I've always felt like however you go about it that is an ability with too much potential to oneshot a ship so I don't know.

Good point. How about something like Decker let's the opponent select which ship he attacks one time during a game? That would be thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Picard and Dukat as crew, each giving a free action? Perhaps make kirk cost more or limit him to Federation captains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hawke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine you'd specify it would only be ONE captain. Essentially I think the only use would be:

1) If you wanted to use a Captain's ability but at a higher skill level
2) If you wanted to use a Captain's ability that did not have elite talent slots and you also wanted one of those.

Rather than Kirk, you could also approach this from a generic resource point of view. Basically a resource similar to the Flagship except instead of modifying a ship you modify a captain.

Admiral Resource - 5 SP - Attach to a Captain. This Captain's skill is +1 and may perform any Action: as a free action. (If this proves too powerful could also adjust the cost and make it Disable this [Crew] to perform that action as a free action)

That would be a cool way to get some cool mileage out of some B-list captains like Riker. Also, you could balance it out and make it a CREW upgrade that would also boost the utility of some of the crew disabling actions to try and eliminate the Admiral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
If "Captain Removal" were to become part of the metagame it would be nice to have some sort of "First Officer" mechanic where someone can step in and provide some kind of captain skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwin
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I kinda hope we do get some kind of "Admiral" cards, at some point.

Wish granted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.