Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Played three or four sessions of this, each time with five players, and each time it's come down to a Staking - with about a 50% success rate of getting the Vampire.

It seems very difficult to accumulate five bites on the table. The hunters can easily discard them, and the vampire has to be very careful in table position about when to commit them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a "five bite" victory once or twice in 10-15 sessions.

I think it is easier for the hunters to win than for the vampire; at least it requires more experience for the vampire player to be successful.
Sometimes some luck may help; for example:
- a hunter has to play a bite
- the table position of the vampire is within the first 3 players of a round and the sunrise shows up late or never in that round

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter J
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far in the 5 or so games I've watched/played, I have never seen Nosferatu win through bites. The most I've seen were two bites on the table at once.

The vampire certainly does have a harder time winning this game by bites. It only takes one mistimed play on a short clock phase to end the game for Renfield/Nosferatu. It is a very high risk/low reward ratio for playing a bite on turn 1 or 2, and hoping a dawn card is not revealed. The reward getting you only 1/5 to victory. The risk being you revealed your identity, and effectively lose the game.

As an observation to the above, the game can appear to drag on because Nosferatu can never really afford to bite on that risky turn 1/2 move (if they get caught, they effectively lost the game). I generally notice the vampire average only one bite per cycle through the deck in my last few plays.

I've seen Nosferatu win... not because of bites, but because the hunters accidently staked the wrong guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
Empire of the Midnight Beard
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to play 3 or 4 bites for a Vampire victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Py Lou
France
flag msg tools
designer
Hello,

I'm Nosferatu's designer. Thank you for your interest for my game.

I'll give you tips to understand why bites are not the main way to win for the Evil Team.

It may happen that the Evil Team win through 5 bites, especially if there are many night cards in the Clock. So Hunters can be surprised by the 2 remaining bites without being able to use the stake. It can be also a good tactic for the vampire to place his last bites as he as 2 ou 3 bites in his hand.

Renfield must help him for this final rush, giving the stake to the relevant players. By placing 2 bites on the same player and giving him the stake card frequently, Renfield car also increase the frenquency of the bites played by hunters.

But the most important thing to remind is : bites are above all a way for the Evil Team to put some pressure on the hunter's shoulders and push them to skake the wrong player. After 3 bites, hunters should stake if they don't want to give a chance to the vampire to play his 2 remaining bites. So it can come very quickly in a game. If Renfield and the Vampire has some skill to mislead the hunters by devious declarations and bluff, they should win the game.

So I suggest not to change the rule : the victory condition must remain "5 bites" because if it's "3 or 4 bites", hunters should stake after the 1st or 2nd bite if they don't want to take any risk. And that's too soon.

Nosferatu is a game where experience has a very important place. So you'll discover many tactics and tips through your sessions.

Best regards,
Pierre-Yves Lebeau

English FAQ : http://www.gm-editions.fr/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/No...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.