Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took a swing at the solitaire "Sitting Ducks" scenario tonight to get a feel for the game before playing face to face.

A couple of issues jumped out at me.

1) The scenario uses the starter pack French ships, but calls for the two Kickstarter Exclusive british ships -- HMS Bellepheron and HMS Juno. Not an issue for us, but eventually this game will be sold at retail, and will leave players looking for ships they're not able to acquire.

2) The victory conditions are pretty stringent. As the french player, I set up far upwind, and accidentally sailed my frigate off the edge of the world while attempting to make a turn under backing sails in a beating aspect. Given that one of the victory conditions is that neither French ship may run aground and both French ships must have less than half damage; I apparently lost the entire scenario in turn 2 for want of a 1/4 inch!

Since I'm a fair guy, I allowed myself to keep playing with my one surviving ship, which proceeded to destroy the mast on one of the anchored British ships -- good work boys, disable that mast on a stationary target.

Pictures to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, on my first play I made the stupid mistake of swooping in behind the reefs and islands with my frigate. As it swept past the Ship of the Line very bad things happened! In my haste to get back to long range, I underestimated the maneuverability and hit a reef. Luckily, the burden was small enough that I didn't run aground.

However, I did learn to check and see if the French were in range on the lee side of the reefs. (Yes, they are!) Much safer out there! Unfortunately, my wife ran aground with the French Ship of the Line! (I used the situation as a demonstration of the difference between us when it comes to how much of a burden each one of us are.devil Very bad things happened!)

Lots of fun learning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The use of the KS-exclusive ships instead of the ships of the same class included in the Starter is a typo.

(BTW the first one found in the rulebook until now...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.