Subject: HELP! 2 Newbies trying to kick-it-up a notch... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rosie Caswell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the briefest of run downs. I have not been in to gaming long. But I went deep. Fast. 2 months ago I had little to no interest in table top. Today, $500+ and 15 games in - I have a full blown addiction. A delightful addiction.

I'm also trying to slowly bring my boyfriend over to the dark side. It's proving more difficult than I had expected but I'm being as flexible as possible and need a little help.

It all started with a game of Forbidden Island. My collection grew with the standard "gateway games" you'd expect. 7 Wonders, Dominion, Tsuro, Ticket to Ride, Jaipur, Love Letter, Carcassonne, Hanabi etc… And only this week I have tried to "kick it up a notch" by purchasing Letters to Whitechapel. He seems very excited about it so whilst he is excited I thought i'd make the most of the surge in interest and get a few more.

But we have a few conditions which I am struggling with to find games.

We don't have a 'gaming group' and try though I might to find one, at this early stage, it's just us 2. So it has to play 2 players and well.

Just the idea of Euro's seem to bore him so unless it's 'lite' or smothered in a fun theme, it might not be the best tactical next step.

Time is a bit of a factor so 90-120 mins would be tops before he zoned out.

It has to be fun and interactive. No mean, no attacking each other, lots of talk and just good fun. He loves co-ops (probably getting Pandemic because of this) or games like 7 Wonders where you can't really tell who wins until the end. If it's a walkover. It won't come out again.

Lastly - he seems to be warming quickly to "micro" games. Short quick ones we can play over coffee he seems to love so anything in that realm would be great.

I found a great list on here compiling the games suited for "Best with 2" which was wonderful! The only issue being there is no real section on each BGG page which helps you figure out if the game is well suited for beginners or more advanced - which makes it difficult for a relative newbie. We learn off rule books and whatever we can find online so keeping the learning curve under 90 mins is key.

I KNOW! A lot of considerations, but any help to help take us to the next level would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ps rv
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FroodMcBorkBork wrote:
The only issue being there is no real section on each BGG page which helps you figure out if the game is well suited for beginners or more advanced - which makes it difficult for a relative newbie.

I think what you may be looking for is gameplay weight, which varies from 1 (light) to 5 (heavy). For example, 7 Wonder is weight 2.3 and Jaipur is 1.6. You can look up others in the statistics section on the main game page. Additionally, you can perform an advanced search by gameplay weight, number of players, playing time, and other criterion here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/advsearch/boardgame

Hope this helps. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FroodMcBorkBork wrote:
So the briefest of run downs. I have not been in to gaming long. But I went deep. Fast. 2 months ago I had little to no interest in table top. Today, $500+ and 15 games in - I have a full blown addiction. A delightful addiction.

This is how I started and, yes, still addicted, still spending My wife and I often play alone so will suggest some multi player games that we find enjoyable with only two. There is competition but no direct attacks as such.

Egizia
Power Grid
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Finca
Escape: The Curse of the Temple coop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list that may speed your search.

Best with 2, light to medium weight, sorted by ranking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hoppel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I do most of our gaming with just the two of us, so here's our favorites:

Ristorante Italia
Lords of Waterdeep
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Stone Age
Takenoko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Balloon Cup (Pinata is similar and newer)
Lord of the Rings: Confrontation
Battle line
YAY!

... are all fun, short 2 player games that you don't yet own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosie Caswell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psrv wrote:
FroodMcBorkBork wrote:
The only issue being there is no real section on each BGG page which helps you figure out if the game is well suited for beginners or more advanced - which makes it difficult for a relative newbie.

I think what you may be looking for is gameplay weight, which varies from 1 (light) to 5 (heavy). For example, 7 Wonder is weight 2.3 and Jaipur is 1.6. You can look up others in the statistics section on the main game page. Additionally, you can perform an advanced search by gameplay weight, number of players, playing time, and other criterion here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/advsearch/boardgame

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

I had no idea this existed. Thank you SO MUCH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosie Caswell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Here's a list that may speed your search.

Best with 2, light to medium weight, sorted by ranking.

That is a great list… There goes my afternoon Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend is a big fan of Claustrophobia and Seasons.

Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia is quickly garnering popularity.

Race for the Galaxy would be good as a 2 player or more game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the time to assimilate others arrives, For Sale is a great game for 3 to 6. Easy to learn, fast playing auction game that everyone seems to like. A big hit with my non gamer friends and family. I dont know how to do linky text, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to YouTube and search for Rhado Runs Through. His videos are wonderful and give a real sense of the game. He also has a geeklist on BGG for his videos.

Fair warning, his only stipulation is 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
consider a finger-flicking game; PitchCar

or something like a small. quick abstract; IOTA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maida F.
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely look into

Takenoko
Seasons
The Castles of Burgundy
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

My spouse and I play a lot of games together so we are always looking for fun things that play well with 2. These are some of our current favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FroodMcBorkBork wrote:

I KNOW! A lot of considerations, but any help to help take us to the next level would be greatly appreciated.

That's something you shouldn't be apologising for at all, the more criteria you give the easier it is for replies to be useful, as you've seen from what's already been posted. I've let out plenty of screams after reading posts that said something like "I tried Agricola and it was interesting but I'd like something different. What do you recommend?"

I found it hard to believe that there isn't a games group or two in Melbourne, and a search found this which seems to be a series of groups using one Meetup page.

http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group-party-and-strategy-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Butler
Australia
Bundaberg
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FroodMcBorkBork wrote:
He loves co-ops (probably getting Pandemic because of this)

I just jumped straight in as well and a few hundred dollars later I have Pandemic 2013, TTR Europe, Ingenious and Dominion. I have been given all these game a quick run down "HERE" but have to say you really have to get this game.

I played it on my own and it was awesome, so it would only be better with your better half.

I see you also mentioned Dominion which we love, but I would certainly be looking at getting the Intrigue expansion to give it a little more depth. My wife WAS the gamer.... but now she didnt get me into them. Lol!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosie Caswell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some really awesome suggestions - and some of games I've never even heard of. Thanks so much everyone for your efforts. I'll post my booty over the next week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosie Caswell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez! Nice one, me!! "I'll post my booty" she says…

… On a forum..

*bangs head on wall*

How about I just post an update of all the games I buy? Much better, methinks. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Luza
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
Look me up in Dutch theaters! www.opsterkwater.nl
badge
Sweet boardgame music: http://youtube.com/c/TheHappyLuza
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife like the "family"version of Agricola a lot. We played it a couple of times a day when my wife was pregnant. Even brought it with us to the hospital :-)

We also like the new Stefan Feld game perfect for the 2 of us. Not too long and very funny with the Dice Tower. It is called Amerigo.

We play 7 wonders with all the expansions. They add a lot to the game.

Cheers from Holland!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rymson Balentien
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
I'm telling you, these dice aren't statistically sound...
mbmbmbmbmb
In that high-ranking list you'll find Command & Colors: Ancients, I wholeheartedly agree with this. However it's a recreation of a battle so there's ONLY attacking eachother Still, to me (and you can see so in my avatar) it's probably one of the best games out there.

King of Tokyo is LOTS of fun if you can get at least 4 people togheter (which, with king of tokyo is not an issue)

Dixit, just as king of Tokyo, is a great game but again - you need some people.

Maybe you should check out Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. Works GREAT with 2 players (it's not too difficult though), co-op, and more or less oozing with theme

I'm not doing too well by adhering to your requests but still, these games are great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hamachek
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for co-ops that are good with two players these came to mind right away. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set or The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. The only thing is the learning curve might be a little more then you want to invest in a game. We took the time to learn them and it was well worth it for us.

Games that we find very enjoyable with two players with little to no attacking:

Suburbia

Rivals for Catan

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game

Thurn and Taxis

Good luck with finding what you two like and welcome aboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome fellow Geek! I started out just like you: I became an addict in a matter of weeks, but my hubbie isn't as obsessed as me. But, slowly, I showed him the wonderful world of boardgaming, and now he likes it (almost) just as much. He's just not the type to do all the research into our next game or compose a wishlist, and he relies on me to get up to speed with the rules.

Without further ado, these are our favorites (some of them are already mentioned by other players, and I'm trying not listing those in your own post, great games btw):

- The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (steep learning curve, but soooo worth it! Check out the Watch it Played videos, they explain the game very well!)
- Ascension: Deckbuilding Game
- Mage Wars Arena
- Pandemic
- Rivals for Catan
- Lost Cities (light, filler game)
- Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue
- Vampire Empire

You can also check out the reviews by
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
: he is also mostly interested in games that work well with two players. He's not into games with a high level of confrontation, but I have bought myself a whole lot of excellent games based only on his reviews

Good luck, and have fun!
--
edit: wrong Catan game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bauer
Australia
Cockatoo
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
FroodMcBorkBork wrote:

That's something you shouldn't be apologising for at all, the more criteria you give the easier it is for replies to be useful, as you've seen from what's already been posted. I've let out plenty of screams after reading posts that said something like "I tried Agricola and it was interesting but I'd like something different. What do you recommend?"

I found it hard to believe that there isn't a games group or two in Melbourne, and a search found this which seems to be a series of groups using one Meetup page.

http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group-party-and-strategy-ga...

Definately recommend the link given above, ive recently started attending EGF in Mt.Waverly and cant speak highly enough of how welcoming and friendly everyone there is.

As for games here are a few i like for 2 players and some run throughs by Rahdo.

Escape: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvFEj49Q6Z0
Guildhall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c24sJDj2XDc
Seasons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KtNmoisyeo
Forbidden Desert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYTM32K9vRU
Suburbia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6rn4nYkauo

All fast playing simple to learn but with the ability to have great gameplay.

If you wanted to try stepping up to some worker placement styles Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep are all great starting places.

Also boardgamearena.com is a great place for some online fun.

Oh i will also add the youtube series tabletop with Will Wheaton is well worth watching for someone just beggining the addiction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WARNING: You may turn your bf away from board games if you overload him with too many games too fast. People who are on the fence don't want to learn new rules every time they sit down to the table. You do not need to kick it up a notch right now, particularly because you already have several games that are a notch or two above gateway. Slow down and explore the games you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^^ good advice.

consider choosing 3-4 different types of games from the suggestions, and watch a coupla videos on each one. Then , maybe let him choose 2 of the games to start with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rymson Balentien
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
I'm telling you, these dice aren't statistically sound...
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
WARNING: You may turn your bf away from board games if you overload him with too many games too fast. People who are on the fence don't want to learn new rules every time they sit down to the table. You do not need to kick it up a notch right now, particularly because you already have several games that are a notch or two above gateway. Slow down and explore the games you have.

Maybe just the best advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.