Eric Bright
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I can’t decided on a concept for this hero, but I basically have the initial deck worked out. I’ve only playtested this character once and she (at time it was a she at least) was the last of 3 heroes standing against Tiamat on the Wandering Island with only 2 HP left. She was the game winner and may be a bit OP.

EDIT: Picking this option. He is an alien with the superhero moniker of The Living Crystal whose planet was destroyed by Warlord Voss. He followed Voss to Earth and is willing to team up with Earth’s finest superheroes in order to see Voss stopped. On his planet, all communication was psychic and visual (by changing the shading of their crystal body) since they have no lungs. Therefore, his powers are psionic-like.

Regardless of the choice of character, I really like what I’m calling the “Force of Will” ability on the ongoing cards called mental projections. Both heroes basically pull out bits of psychic energy from themselves and use it to form whatever they need on the battle field. These come in the form of ongoing cards which I find are too easily destroyed. At the end of every ongoing, I put an ability to stop the card from being destroyed but at an increasingly difficult price trying to simulate sheer force of will keeping the mental projection in existence.

Cards with my limited art abilities to come once I decide on the final character. I’d appreciate any input on the cards and concepts. Thanks!

Hero: The Living Crystal
HP: 27
Base power: Concentrate
- Power: You may draw two cards.

Incapacitated:
- One hero may draw a card.
- Reduce all damage to one hero by 1 until the start of your next turn.
- One hero regains 1 HP.

Ongoing, Mental Projection (Qty: 15)
-----------------------------
Animated Crystal Swords (Qty: 3)
- At the end of your turn, The Living Crystal deals 2 targets 2 psychic damage.
At the start of your turn, discard a card or destroy this card.
If this card would be destroyed, you may instead place X cards from your hand under this card where X = the current # of cards under all mental projection cards plus one.

Assisted Nucleation Pulse (Qty: 3)
- At the end of your turn, all heroes regain 1 HP.
If this card would be destroyed, you may instead place X cards from your hand under this card where X = the current # of cards under all mental projection cards plus one.

Crystalline Vortex (Qty: 3)
- At the end of your turn, The Living Crystal deals 1 target 4 psychic damage.

Pervasive Crystal Shards (Qty: 3)
- At the end of your turn, The Living Crystal deals all non-hero targets 1 psychic damage.

Translucent Shield (Qty: 3) LIMITED
- Reduce all damage to The Living Crystal by 2.
Quote: “We keep hitting him [or her], but he just keeps staring at us!” – Blade Battalion

Ongoing (Qty: 2)
Power Surge (Qty: 2)
- Power: Draw four cards and then destroy this card.

Equipment, Limited, Psicrystal (Qty: 12)
Psicrystal of Clarity (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, draw a card.
Power: All heroes may draw a card.

Psicrystal of Focus (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, place it next to a mental projection and draw a card.
At the start of your turn, instead of discarding a card from your hand to maintain the mental projection next to this card, you may discard the top card of your deck.

Psicrystal of Power (Qty: 3)
Increase all damage dealt by The Living Crystal by 1.

Psicrystal of the Active Mind (Qty: 3)
All mental projections act at the start of your turn as well as the end of your turn.

One-shot (Qty: 11)
Call to Mind (Qty: 2)
- Reveal cards from the top of your deck until two Mental Projections are revealed. Put one into play and shuffle the other revealed cards back into your deck.

Create Psicrystal (Qty: 2)
- Reveal cards from the top of your deck until two Psicrystals are revealed. Put one into play and shuffle the other revealed cards back into your deck.

Clear Their Mind (Qty: 3)
- Destroy one environment or ongoing card.

Mind Over Body (Qty: 2)
- You regain 3 HP.

Mind Thrust (Qty: 2)
Not sure about this one, but one of these three options?
- You deal one target X psychic damage where X = the # of Mental Projections in play plus two. OR
- You deal one target X psychic damage where X = 5 minus the # of Mental Projections in play. OR
- You deal one target 4 psycic damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the crystal creature. It fits the psicrystals better and isn't just another super human.

I do not see any good reason for Create Psicrystal to exist. You are effectively just playing a psicrystal the same way you would if you drew that card instead of this one, except that you won't know the psicrystal you put into play until you commit to doing so. Since the psicrystals are limited, this could work against you. The only real effect on the game is that it allows 14 of the 40 cards to act as a psicrystal without causing bias toward which psicrystal is more prominent. Because this character has so much card draw, you'll have the psicrystal you want to play easily enough.

Perhaps in its place you could have an Inventory Barrage (Wraith) card for psicrystals in play.

I have a suggestion for Power Surge. Perhaps this should be an Ongoing card saying, "Power: Draw four cards. Destroy this card." This means you don't need to say "You cannot use a power this turn," which means 1) if you are playing it out-of-turn, you aren't getting a huge benefit over playing it on your normal turn; and 2) if you are allowed to play an additional power on your turn, you aren't giving up both of them for this ability. As an added benefit, it fits existing concepts better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carrington
United States
Prospect Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how she would be a bit OP. Once set up she can do a lot every turn and if her hand is full it is hard to break her stuff. You could make the protection cost “…where X = the current # of cards under all Mental Projections plus one.” If you think that would make her less OP. That way you can still prevent destruction sometimes but you are much less likely to save the same thing multiple times when you have other projections you could rely on.
I also would be interested in seeing what would happen if you had to keep them alive as long as you had enough cards in your hand. But I think that is taking too much choice away from the player and could lead to making the hard battles harder without much effect on the easy battles.

Another way to nerf her would be to have her base power be draw a card and have a psicrystal that lets her draw another card each turn. It would be better for other players hands later but make it take longer for her to build up her own hand early.

Translucent Shield – I would either make this limited or only prevent 1 damage. I know this is a lot like one of Scholar’s cards but it is one of his better cards and he is mostly defensive. Your character has a lot of offensive power too.
Both Call to Mind and Create Psicrystal are pretty bland. You could make it reveal until 2 are revealed, you can put 1 into play… that way the player has some choice instead of just relying on luck, but even then those cards are still not that interesting.

Mind Thrust – I think this should just be a flat 4 damage or whatever. She is already doing a lot if she has projections out, she doesn’t need her one shots to be more powerful as well.

Power Surge – my first thought was that this would be more interesting if she had a power that didn’t have to do with drawing cards, but I also agree with the above comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bright
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Power Surge as an ongoing with a power to burst it really makes sense. Great suggestion.

Translucent shield was supposed to be limited. Just forgot to put that in. I originally had it at reduce damage by 1, but I didn't think that was worth discarding a card every round to keep compared to other cards.

Mind Thrust - What about making it deal X damage where X = 5 minus the number of mental projections? I like the idea of it tying in somehow with the number of mental projections because the hero has to concentrate to keep the projections in existence.

I do like making the projection protection cost the current number of cards under ALL mental projections plus one. That does help balance it I think. Good idea.

Create Psicrystal and Call to Mind were just ways to get out more stuff quicker like Arsenal Access (isn't that a reveal until you find a gun?). I like the idea of revealing until you find two and choosing one. That way you don't get hit with the limited nature of the psicrystals.

I originally had a psicrystal that allowed an additional card to be drawn at the end of the turn, but I dumped it in favor of the one with a power to let every hero draw a card. I liked the tension of do I help myself vs. do I help everyone?

Also, unrelated, but I'm going to go with the Living Crystal because I agree that having her be the run of the mill super girl is just not as interesting. I'm going to try a different drawing as well because this one looks like the 70s version of the Cylons from BSG.

Thanks for the input so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bright
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Just realized something else. There are really only two possible powers for this character, so he'll always be using his base power since the other power is on only 3 of the 40 cards. What about putting powers on each of the mental projections so that you can either deal more damage or add an effect to damage? Would that be tempting enough to not draw the extra credits thereby forcing a mental projection to be destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carrington
United States
Prospect Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new mind thrust works

I do agree that more powers would be good but the base power is so good that it is hard to make another power that would be used without making the character more OP. Maybe the Sword could have a power like “Deal 1 target 2 melee damage, if that target is destroyed draw a card”

Another idea I had (not sure if it is a good one).
Projections do their thing at the start of turn and require maintenance at the end of turn.
The base power only work if there are less than 4 villain targets in play.
Projections have a power that destroys itself for immediate effect (mostly only used if you cant afford to keep it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.