Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Wong
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
There are a few variants in the rulebook. I'm curious if you play with any, or if you think there are any that are very good.

Or if you have any of your own.

Personally, it appeals to me to allow players to divvy up their points amongst BOTH influence-placement and realignment rolls.

What about you guys, geeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To my knowledge no one ever offered me to play those, nor do I know anyone who ever played them.

I had to find my rulebook to look them up

I'd be willing to see if anyone used them, but I'm betting it's gonna be hard to find anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the only common "variant" is giving US extra influence for balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chinese Civil War Variant is very good variant if you want to give USA player an edge or if you play earlier edition without optional cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I disagree. This is a matter of taste though.

The CCW variant's main weakness is that increases the likelihood of DEFCON victories. Besides, I don't think it really accomplishes its job. It tends to remove China for almost the entire game (until USSR has nothing better to do). In that time, it disallows certain events, reducing the quality of the game.

To be honest, I used CCW when the deluxe edition had just come out, but I stopped when I started playing on Wargameroom. As I gained a lot more experience, I realized that I wasn't a big fan of the variant.

Again, just my opinion. Lots of people do like CCW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
Although I didn't play the game using CCW yet, I would like to state that the chance of a US DEFCON victory is higher when USSR decides not to put the China Card into play. So, the 2 things Max mentioned have got a lot to do with eachother and are not just loose facts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
In Singapore, local tournaments rules use the variant of no defcon realignment restrictions, ie you can realign anywhere any time. I like it. Unfortunately i can't get much practice online with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wong
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
It seems to me that the Realignment rolls going anywhere regardless of defcon makes them happen much more often. I'm okay with that. They seem to get played far less than Coup rolls otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
True, but it makes the game completely different. It's too easy to get rid of hard-fought opponent influence in a Mideast, Asian or European country. It immediately reduces the strength of for example JP II or a late played Vietnam Revolts in US controlled SE Asia, not to mention the impossibility of the Russians to keep France in a US controlled Western Europe...

I strongly advise against this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a compromise rule on realignment:
Realignment permitted on first Defcon level where Coups become impossible in a region, but not on second

e.g Defcon 4 No coups in Europe but realignment permitted
Defcon 3 No coups or realignments in Europe etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
I play a compromise rule on realignment:
Realignment permitted on first Defcon level where Coups become impossible in a region, but not on second

e.g Defcon 4 No coups in Europe but realignment permitted
Defcon 3 No coups or realignments in Europe etc.

Interesting! I'll have to try this version out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
Certainly one very common "variant" is the addition of the 7 optional cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.