Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Powers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Benz
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folk,

What does it mean when a card says (for instance incendiary cloud): "Any character who encounters a monster this turn adds 2d4 with the fire trait to her combat check"????

1.) does it mean the monster must have a fire trait?

2.) does it mean you must play an additional card with the fire trait?

3.) or else??

Thanx und greetings bpsyc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Rigby
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found an image of Incendiary Cloud online so I can see the full text. I'd interpret the Spell as a shield of Fire surrounding you -- any Monster attacking you faces additional danger (2d4 worth) including possible Fire damage. If the Monster is immune to Fire damage then I'd imagine you can't use this card against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means that, aside from whatever dice you use for the check against the monster, you will add 2d4. The check will then be considered to have the Fire trait, which may or may not matter depending on the monster or location or scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Benz
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I think Simon is right and his solution sounds very reasonable in game terms! Thank you! bpsyc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For an example of when the fire trait might come in handy, check out the Old Light location card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most monsters list a Combat check to defeat. I think of the syntax as being:

Trait, Trait2, ... Check, so Combat is a trait for Combat Check.

If you played a card that adds traits to the check, say a spell or weapon then you add additional traits to the check so,

Combat Check becomes Combat, Fire Check.

So now you would have to follow any card rules that refer to the traits on the check (must have fire trait to defeat monster or monster immune to fire trait) as well as allowing other cards to be played that require a specific type of check (Play this card to add 1d4 to a Fire Check).

If you had already played the Fire shield and now play a Long Sword you would have a:

Combat, Melee, Edged, Sword, Fire Check (or something like that -- didn't pull out the actual card).

Maybe it makes more sense to do Combat Check w/ Melee, Fire, Sword, etc but I was forgetting when I started to play that adding those traits would also allow me to play cards that referred a certain type of Check so I add them to the front of check in my mind so not to forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NPLDart wrote:
I found an image of Incendiary Cloud online so I can see the full text. I'd interpret the Spell as a shield of Fire surrounding you

Pretty close. That interpretation is more in-line with the D&D/Pathfinder spell "Fire Shield". Incindiary Cloud makes a cloud of thick smoke filled with burning embers that slowly spreads from the place it was cast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding the traits of a card / power sometimes has an effect on the encounter...skeletons, for example, are more difficult to defeat if your check has the slashing or piercing trait.

There are times when it may be beneficial to have the fire trait. The Blessing of Zarongel, for example, adds two dice to any check that has the fire trait. Gawain also mentioned the Old Light. On the other hand, some monsters may be immune to fire, so you won't want to play Incendiary Cloud on a turn when you're fighting such monsters - all attacks against them would suddenly be worthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.