Subject: Picking up a 'dropped' Handheld. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Burns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
In one of the FAQ's, it states "The Handheld will stay on your Bridge, even if the Character holding it is discarded."
Might this mean that if there is another character on the bridge with no Handheld card, they could be declared the new user of the abandoned card, effectively picking it up for their own use (and having any bonus then applied to the new character)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domhnall wrote:
In one of the FAQ's, it states "The Handheld will stay on your Bridge, even if the Character holding it is discarded."
Might this mean that if there is another character on the bridge with no Handheld card, they could be declared the new user of the abandoned card, effectively picking it up for their own use (and having any bonus then applied to the new character)?

The designer clarified here that handhelds do not add to character stats but directly to starship stats, so it doesn't really matter. You only have to have a character to assign them to to play them from your hand.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Burns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks. I missed that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Borders
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is still a valid question, as many hand-helds do either modify their properties or their stats depending on the character they are attached to.

For instance, I play a lieutenant, then play a grenade launcher on it - I now have an attack of 3 (the grenade launcher has an attack equal to the cost of the attached character). I Memory Alpha the lieutenant to a commander, Does the grenade launcher still have an attack of 3? Or of zero?

Now I play 'Pike' - can I attach the grenade launcher to Pike, giving it an attack of 9? If so, must I then trash it at the end of the turn, as per the effect of the card? Generally the effect only happens when the card is played.

It sounds to me like this would allow a whole new can of worms to be opened.

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex stated in that same post that anything that refers to a user on a handheld refers only to the character declared when you played the card. So the answer to your pike question is blatantly no.

As for whether it keeps its bonus, the user is effectively a cost 0 aka nonexistent at that point, so no I don't see why it would keep the stat. The only thing that pools in this game is XP points, everything else is equal to what is currently going on on the bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Borders
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Alex stated in that same post that anything that refers to a user on a handheld refers only to the character declared when you played the card. So the answer to your pike question is blatantly no.

As for whether it keeps its bonus, the user is effectively a cost 0 aka nonexistent at that point, so no I don't see why it would keep the stat. The only thing that pools in this game is XP points, everything else is equal to what is currently going on on the bridge.

This makes sense, and is in keeping with the rules as stated and clarified online.

However, I'm thinking about house-ruling it - picking up a dropped device is too thematically appealing. I'd probably say that only negative affects would apply to the 2nd character picking it up (and all stats, of course), such as being forced to trash the card and such. I dunno. Any thoughts, people?

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexborders wrote:
Jacovis wrote:

This makes sense, and is in keeping with the rules as stated and clarified online.

However, I'm thinking about house-ruling it - picking up a dropped device is too thematically appealing. I'd probably say that only negative affects would apply to the 2nd character picking it up (and all stats, of course), such as being forced to trash the card and such. I dunno. Any thoughts, people?

Alex

I'm not a big house ruler, but this game is definitely filled with thematic possibilities. Go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Burns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
"The handheld will stay on your bridge even if the character holding it is discarded."
If a Handheld remains on the bridge after the character holding it is discarded, does that mean the statistics at the bottom of the card still apply to the flagship? Otherwise, why not discard it with the original character?
(Unless someone picks it up...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It stays with the ship. The numbers on the bottom of the card always modify the flagship.

Imagine, if you must, that the character finished whatever task they were performing with it before getting blown up. Except for things like the grenade launcher because it's stat refers to its user who would need to continue bombardment to make it effective, which if the user is gone means that stat will be zero.

But more directly, your question is really just making it more complicated than it needs to be. The designer says it does it. That's enough for me.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.