Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday on this thread http://greeneyegames.com/community/topic/gobogeg/ the mighty powers of the Twice Invoked were made public (except for his combat value).

He is a very useful, very effective double edged sword. I would probably summon him right after one of my GOO's died, especially with Windwalker/Cthulhu/Crawling Chaos since they usually put theirs on the line.
But it is universally useful... I will definetly try summoning Azathoth right after Gobogeg to obtain maximum devastation!

Any thoughts/comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, when he's out, no one really wants to attack him! And since he adds an elder token for each ritual, everyone also wants to have him. So, when he's in the game, it's probably a lot like: Hurry! get to 6 spellbooks first!

I actually have not had a chance to play with him yet. But I really want to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Basically, when he's out, no one really wants to attack him! And since he adds an elder token for each ritual, everyone also wants to have him. So, when he's in the game, it's probably a lot like: Hurry! get to 6 spellbooks first!

I actually have not had a chance to play with him yet. But I really want to...

I wouldn't want to be Windwalker in a game where he's available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would. You'd only pay 4 power for both of your Great Old Ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:

Yeah, but it's likely you wouldn't be able to get him first though.

EDIT: Arthur, do you know Gobogeg's combat value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

No, you'd pay a net of 0 power to summon both of Windwalker's GOOs. They each cost 6, and Gobogeg gives you a refund of 6.

Quote:
Arthur, do you know Gobogeg's combat value?

I think it's 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Quote:

No, you'd pay a net of 0 power to summon both of Windwalker's GOOs. They each cost 6, and Gobogeg gives you a refund of 6.

Quote:
Arthur, do you know Gobogeg's combat value?

I think it's 0.

WHAT? when di Ithaqua's cost go down by 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
WHAT? when di Ithaqua's cost go down by 2?

It's been a while. A few months probably.

I'm fairly sure that there are little things like that everywhere that almost no one knows about but the playtesters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading something about Windwalkers GOOs cost changing but I can't remember what it was. I actually thought it was an increase in the cost of Rhan because link was abusing it to much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Rhan Tegoth's combat went down, iirc. He is 6/3 right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey if I don't find out the OP strats then who will? Arthur? fat chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we close to getting a Windwalker video? I really want to know the full extent of its abilities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
No, you'd pay a net of 0 power to summon both of Windwalker's GOOs. They each cost 6, and Gobogeg gives you a refund of 6. I think it's 0.

Oh well if you're going to use math!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:
existoid wrote:
No, you'd pay a net of 0 power to summon both of Windwalker's GOOs. They each cost 6, and Gobogeg gives you a refund of 6. I think it's 0.

Oh well if you're going to use math!

Not even once

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I changed Gobogeg's requirements to be that ANY player has 6 spellbooks. So you don't need them yourself. You do need a Great Old One to summon him though.

Also his "combat strength" is now "if Gobogeg is Killed, all other units in the Area are Killed. If Gobogeg is Pained, all other units in the Area are Pained."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whoa....big change. I want to awaken him this evening when we playtest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
I changed Gobogeg's requirements to be that ANY player has 6 spellbooks. So you don't need them yourself. You do need a Great Old One to summon him though.

Also his "combat strength" is now "if Gobogeg is Killed, all other units in the Area are Killed. If Gobogeg is Pained, all other units in the Area are Pained."

The word MAD comes to mind. He's awesome, I'm very glad I'm getting him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:

Isn't this a bit over powered? I love the idea but I can see where Great Cthulhu Faction would hate its guts! The more dice you roll against him the greater the chance an entire zone is wiped out. Yikes... Crawling Chaos could use this unit to pain out an entire zone then fly a cultist up to the recently abandoned gate.

So much nastiness involved with this unit. I love it!

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would Cthulhu want to kill Gobogeg? As long as Gobogeg is in play, he can re-awaken Cthulhu and EARN 2 Power in so doing! He practically wants to throw Cthulhu away in each fight now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Why would Cthulhu want to kill Gobogeg? As long as Gobogeg is in play, he can re-awaken Cthulhu and EARN 2 Power in so doing! He practically wants to throw Cthulhu away in each fight now.

The concern is for those factions that roll a higher number of dice in combat compared to those who roll less. This would increase the chance Gobogeg gets killed resulting in huge losses for the designated enemy.

Great Cthulhu's faction would be one of the factions that suffers from this possibility. His units roll so many combat dice that the chances of rolling 1 or more 6's is increased. Yes you can recover Cthulhu for cheap and gain elder tokens... But replacing your other units is costly and time consuming. Windwalker would also suffer from this potential calamity as it's units tend to hover close together due to the "Arctic Winds" spell book.

The counter argument regarding the benefits of having Gobogeg in play are sound... But... What happens when an enemy deliberately moves Gobogeg and another unit into your zone and declares combat? Those two units have the potential to wipe out an entire zone. That's actually worse than "Dread Curse of Azathoth". Yes you sacrifice a Great Old One in the process... But it could substantially change the outcome of a gaming session.

Crawling Chaos actually has the best benefits from utilizing this strategy. The "Madness" spell book would help to mitigate the effects. Now pick up the "Elder Things" and you're set. Better yet... Leave this unit sitting as a base guard. No one would be crazy enough to mess with it.

I guess my issue stems from the lack of "Defense" against this unit's combat ability. Yes it provides an AMAZING cost reduction... But it can also be a nuclear weapon just waiting to go off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertGhent wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

The concern is for those factions that roll a higher number of dice in combat compared to those who roll less. This would increase the chance Gobogeg gets killed resulting in huge losses for the designated enemy.

Great Cthulhu's faction would be one of the factions that suffers from this possibility. His units roll so many combat dice that the chances of rolling 1 or more 6's is increased. Yes you can recover Cthulhu for cheap and gain elder tokens... But replacing your other units is costly and time consuming. Windwalker would also suffer from this potential calamity as it's units tend to hover close together due to the "Arctic Winds" spell book.

The counter argument regarding the benefits of having Gobogeg in play are sound... But... What happens when an enemy deliberately moves Gobogeg and another unit into your zone and declares combat? Those two units have the potential to wipe out an entire zone. That's actually worse than "Dread Curse of Azathoth". Yes you sacrifice a Great Old One in the process... But it could substantially change the outcome of a gaming session.

Crawling Chaos actually has the best benefits from utilizing this strategy. The "Madness" spell book would help to mitigate the effects. Now pick up the "Elder Things" and you're set. Better yet... Leave this unit sitting as a base guard. No one would be crazy enough to mess with it.

I guess my issue stems from the lack of "Defense" against this unit's combat ability. Yes it provides an AMAZING cost reduction... But it can also be a nuclear weapon just waiting to go off...

A great defense is to simply not attack that spot with him. Not fool proof, but still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's saying when HE (Gobogeg) moves in with a few units and declares combat against your huge army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
He's saying when HE (Gobogeg) moves in with a few units and declares combat against your huge army.

This is exactly what I am saying. It was always designed to be a double edged sword. My concern is that it could make the person who commands him a little too powerful for my liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
except...

no one will want to kill gobogeg - instead, everyone will scramble to get as many indie GOOs as possible for their next ritual. And why would the person who controls gobogeg want to kill him? His refund power for awakening GOOs is desirable for everyone.

I have not played too many games with him, but in every game I've seen or played in which he is awakened, I have never seen him killed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also never seen a game continue past the Doom phase after the turn in which Gobogeg was awakened. He really is the World's End.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.