Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Skull» Forums » General

Subject: What am I doing wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've been interested in buying this game for a while now but as the rules are so simple I thought I'd first try it out on family & friends just using red and black playing cards to see if it was a fun game.

After a couple of attempts to introduce it to people though it had just fallen completely flat. Initially no one understood the rules properly (which surprised me a lot). Eventually the "gamers" in the group got it but were clearly underwhelmed and not really engaging with it. Everyone else though seemed to be going through the motions without "playing" or enjoying the game.

I get that this can happen, a slightly negative initial response can spiral out of control if a new game isn't immediately arresting but I was so surprised at how badly it was received. They enjoy games like Perudo (which I thought this was similar to and was part of the reason I was interested in it) but no amount of persuading could get them to give it another shot.

Is this an experience any of you have had (with this game or another)?

Is there a particular environment or setting this game works best in?

I was playing it in the middle of the day and maybe as a poker style bluffing game it's better suited to evening play when people are more boistrous. Also, maybe the use of playing cards put them off - were they expecting an actual Card Game?

It really put me off buying the game which is a shame as I love the look of it. Do you think there's a chance I could rescue the situation? Does this game just not work with some people?

I'd love to hear your experiences of introducing the game to new players and how well/badly it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
We use it at our gaming meetup as a fairly common end of night closer. It works fairly well but it does take people a surprising amount of time to get what they're meant to be doing. Especially when you consider that the choices are bid or play a mat - and once someone has bid, raise or pass.

That said, if it doesn't work with your group, there's little point in buying it in the hope that they come around; there are too many other games out there to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
this game really depends on the group.
when i first played it (with slightly wrong rules) with my cousins it kinda felt a bit meh.
after i played it with another group (more hard core gamers) and I could really feel the tension and the bluffing aspect.
Its all about pushing your luck (pun intended ). You want to mislead the others into opening your stack so they get 1 disc eliminated. Or you try to read the others and then win the challenge.
For my 2nd game, it boiled down to 1 versus 1. We both had 1 challenge won and I was down to 2 discs and he 1. It was tense and exciting and I manage to win!

Perhaps that may taint my enjoyment of it but my 3rd play another lady in my group who enjoyed bluffing and deduction also enjoyed it.

So in summary, I do think it depends on the group and the players.
Its not for everyone.

I'll try it in office next time and report on it soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is surprisingly not intuitive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have had good luck but I could definitely see this game flopping with certain types of people. That being said if a group liked Perudo than I would think this would work perfectly.

If I had to guess, I would say you might be surprised how much having nice components can influence peoples attitude towards a game. In my opinion attitude is almost everything when it comes to peoples enjoyment of a game, especially when the game takes a little effort to figure out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.