Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The rule wording about Invention/Item cards on page 17 (Item 3) confuses me.

Specifically, once I build the furnace, is its ignore 1 winter cloud ability good for the rest of the game (once per round) or do I only get to ignore 1 winter cloud in total and that's it? (Thematically, the former answer makes more sense to me.)

Does the answer to this question generally apply to all inventions?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. S.
Germany
Münster
-
flag msg tools
mb
According to the recent German rules:

In every round 1 winter cloud can be ignored (rolled or as token). The cloud is also not counted as rain cloud.

So this card can be used once every round. It removes one snow cloud. That is what you have mentioned first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
andreschulz wrote:

In every round 1 winter cloud can be ignored (rolled or as token). The cloud is also not counted as rain cloud.

So this card can be used once every round. It removes one snow cloud. That is what you have mentioned first.

That's helpful, thanks. But clearly this doesn't apply to all inventions, right? I mean, if I build the fire or the moat, I only get to add 1 or 2 to my palisade level one time.

Hmm, I wonder if there's some significance to the use of parentheses on invention cards. Fire, for example, says "(+1 Palisade)" but moat says "+2 Palisade" without the parentheses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lloyd
United Kingdom
Penmaenmawr
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:

That's helpful, thanks. But clearly this doesn't apply to all inventions, right? I mean, if I build the fire or the moat, I only get to add 1 or 2 to my palisade level one time.

For all inventions, unless otherwise specifically stated, the +1 (or whatever) stays for the rest of the game, or until some other card might tell you to remove it. So, the furnace permanently protects you from a weather cloud and the fire permanently adds to your palisade strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
andreschulz wrote:

Hmm, I wonder if there's some significance to the use of parentheses on invention cards. Fire, for example, says "(+1 Palisade)" but moat says "+2 Palisade" without the parentheses.

The Moat and Fire act the same way. They both move their respective tracks. So you do it once. e.g. if you build the fire, you move your palisade up one space. But you would not move it up one space "every round"; likewise with the Moat.

Hope this helps !

Best wishes, Rick

EDIT: p.s. with the fire, inventing it gives you the "fire" and the parenthesis kind of say "oh, by the way, you also get +1 palisade", whereas with the Moat it's primary aim is to give you +2 to your palisade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had trouble with one-time uses vs ongoing too, I believe the answer is on the back of the invention card... if it is just an image of the invention, then it is one-time use... if there is anything below the image, then it is on-going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
schnel wrote:
andreschulz wrote:

The Moat and Fire act the same way. They both move their respective tracks. So you do it once. e.g. if you build the fire, you move your palisade up one space. But you would not move it up one space "every round"; likewise with the Moat.

Hope this helps !

Best wishes, Rick

Rick,

In the past 2 weeks I have purchased Mage Knight and Robinson Crusoe... and have watched most of your videos on both games.

I love your style, and thanks so much for all that you do.

Perhaps you could do Zombie Carnival as a future solo series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
largelylegit wrote:
ricky2002 wrote:
schnel wrote:
andreschulz wrote:

Hope this helps !

Best wishes, Rick

Rick,

In the past 2 weeks I have purchased Mage Knight and Robinson Crusoe... and have watched most of your videos on both games.

I love your style, and thanks so much for all that you do.

Perhaps you could do Zombie Carnival as a future solo series?

BIG DITTO on that. NOBODY but nobody produces videos the way Rick does. His camera movement is steady, he points the camera where it needs to be pointed, he edits his videos very professionally, and above all, he takes it slow and speaks eloquently so I never have a problem understanding what he's saying or trying to explain.

I, too, have bought Mage Knight, Robinson Crusoe, Pathfinder (and a slew of other games) based on Rick's "recommendations." As far as I'm concerned, he's the gold source when it comes to reliable and honest appraisals of games.

Larry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The small cards have 2 sides. One invention side and one item side. When you build an invention, you put it on the future resources spot. After the action phase, you place the invention with the item side up onto its spot. You execute the ability that is on the invention side while you do it. If the item now also has abilities on the item side, they are ongoing. If there is no more ability, it was a one time thing.

If you, at some time, lose an item, you turn it back to its invention side and reverse everything that you gained from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
andreschulz wrote:

I think Mark just answered this properly.

You need to flip inventions over when you invent them. First do whatever it says on the "build" side. Then flip it over - if teh effect is ongoing it will be on the flipped over side to.

If you flip over the moat all there is, is the picture of the moat. If you flip over the furnace it shows the "remove winter cloud" symbol - so you can keep using this power every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.