Subject: [POLL] Rate the Allied Heroes! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Time to rate the Allied heroes!
On a scale of 1 (bad) to 5 (great)
(also a 'No Opinion' option)

Poll
Rate the Allied heroes
  No Opinion 1 (Bad) 2 3 (Average) 4 5 (Great)
Bazooka Joe (Original Core Set)
Rosie (Operation: Cyclone)
Ozz 117 (Operation: SeeLowe)
Rhino (Revised Core Set)
The Chef (Operation: Cerberus)
Action Jackson (Allies Hero Pack)
The Priest (Allies Hero Pack)
Johnny One-Eye (Allies Hero Pack)
Sgt. Victory (Operation: Icarus)
Bazooka Joe - Version 2 (Operation: Achilles)
      15 answers
Poll created by fightcitymayor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Sgt Victory, while very good in gameplay terms, is horrible. I hate the two superheroes. They change the "mood" of the game itself.
When Victory or Winter Child are present, i find the game's atmosphere changes from gritty WW2 to Marvel's superheroes...

I can even tolerate the chef as the spy he is, but the thought of having this flying man punching airplanes and Iron Man Winter Child destroying super-heavy tanks by himself is enough to make me yuk

If this was a super-hero game... sure. But a WW2 game?

Outside this, both Bazooka Joes are great for the special ops. The bonus to initiative is a great element surpassed only by Yakov (which is too powerful imo, but that's another debate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozz 117 and Bazooka Joe are the only ones I have a real opinion of the rest are meh! Both of these are game winners for my oppo, BJ as it is a huge bonus to win more than your fair share of Initiatives and Ozz (with a squad)because of his Heroic Attack, because of this and winning Initiative wreaks havoc in my army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
deedob wrote:
I can even tolerate the chef as the spy he is, but the thought of having this flying man punching airplanes and Iron Man Winter Child destroying super-heavy tanks by himself is enough to make me yuk
That is in interesting topic. I remember reading a few mini-freakouts when Chef arrived on the scene, although it didn't/doesn't bother me personally. Theoretically the Armor-3 troops are borderline comic-book material as it is, at least in appearance if not in straight-up tank-punching ability.

I know there are people that chafe at any non-WWII units, but with a backstory involving mysterious alien tech then we're already pretty far off the reservation in terms of "realism" or any devotion to a true WWII theme. I think it helps that the heroes spice up the personalities a little, so we don't just have an endless parade of generic "Sargent Joe Bagodoughnuts from Brooklyn" type characters. Most of the infantry are pretty generic as it is.

So I guess I like my "Weird War" games to be more Weird, less War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
deedob wrote:
That is in interesting topic. I remember reading a few mini-freakouts when Chef arrived on the scene, although it didn't/doesn't bother me personally. Theoretically the Armor-3 troops are borderline comic-book material as it is, at least in appearance if not in straight-up tank-punching ability.

I know there are people that chafe at any non-WWII units, but with a backstory involving mysterious alien tech then we're already pretty far off the reservation in terms of "realism" or any devotion to a true WWII theme. I think it helps that the heroes spice up the personalities a little, so we don't just have an endless parade of generic "Sargent Joe Bagodoughnuts from Brooklyn" type characters. Most of the infantry are pretty generic as it is.

So I guess I like my "Weird War" games to be more Weird, less War.

I don't mind weird war and power armours, walkers and whatnots. In fact i lovee it else i would never have started Dust. IMO, the Vrill are the next big thing i'm waiting to come. Give me weird mechanized aliens and strong heroes like Joe, Koshka and Sigrid any day.

But don't give me Marvel super-heroes. I guess this is just my personal threshold. I'm really going to facepalm my facepalm my facepalm if we see a character which can walk on walls and web his opponents in the japanese faction. It's just that when i see them on the battlefield, i think less weird war and more something like heroclix. It destroys the mood of the game. At least for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.