Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I have always wondered about Democrats, being that they are supposed to be so pro-science, is why they cancelled the Texas Superconducting Super Collider back in 1993.

I'm mean they are the party that was completely responsible.

1. President Bill Clinton -- Democrat
2. Vice President Al Gore "Mr. Science" -- Democrat
3. U.S. Senate -- Majority Leader George Mitchell and President pro tempore of Senate Robert Byrd -- Democrat (It probably would have been completed if it had been named after Sheets* Byrd and placed in West Virginia.)
4. U.S. House of Representatives -- Speaker Tom Foley -- Democrat
5. Texas Governor -- Ann Richards -- Democrat
6. Texas Senate -- controlled 18-13 by Democrats
7. Texas House of Representatives -- controlled 91-59 by Democrats

* Sheets, Tip O'Neill's nickname for former KKK member Robert Byrd...

"The SSC's planned collision energy of 40 TeV (is/was) almost three times the current 14 TeV of its European counterpart, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Geneva."

"The SSC cost was due largely to the massive civil engineering project of digging a huge tunnel underground."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider

So Americans are not even talented enough to dig a hole in the ground?

It probably had a chance in Texas. Environmentalists (Global-warming cultists), the EPA, and endangered species fanatics** would of stopped it every five feet in some other location...

** Yes, I do care about endangered species, but not every breed of termite, mosquito, and fire ant.

Just another incident of Democrats hating science...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's hard for Republicans to understand, since they only pay lip service to it, but this was solely a fiscal responsibility decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused. Is this a complaint about something that happened 20 years ago?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Should we dig Tip up to complain at him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Perhaps you want something more recent.

OP was about democrats, not about nameless "green campaigners". Are you saying Bill Clinton is anti GMO?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Quote:
Molecular biologist Henry Miller makes the case for GMOs over at Project Syndicate, and green science-haters are going to fight it tooth and nail. Miller points out that not only are the global poor hurt by restrictions on research that could make crops more productive, but even at the most basic level the distinction between GMOs and “natural” foods doesn’t make sense:

Quote:
A half-century of “wide cross” hybridizations, which involve the movement of genes from one species or genus to another, has given rise to plants – including everyday varieties of corn, oats, pumpkin, wheat, black currants, tomatoes, and potatoes – that do not and could not exist in nature. Indeed, with the exception of wild berries, wild game, wild mushrooms, and fish and shellfish, virtually everything in North American and European diets has been genetically improved in some way.

The important fact here is the blatant hypocrisy: when they’ve got scientific evidence on their side, green campaigners spew hate speech about the evil science deniers on the other side. But the moment a scientific consensus attacks some cherished green myth (organic good, GMO bad, for example), they spew hate speech against scientists as corporate shills. There is no intellectual honesty or consistency in this attitude; the one constant is anger and contempt for those who challenge the tenets of green faith.

What the planet and the people who live on it badly need is a pro-environment, pro-people movement that actually cares about scientific evidence. Unfortunately that’s not what we’ve got—and climate change activists again need to come to terms with the reality that cloudy green thinking and downright hypocrisy is a leading cause of climate skepticism.

I agree, there is a huge degree of hypocrisy in the green movement, but I cannot help but feel that this piece really is the pot calling the kettle black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
The left has bad arguments regarding GMOs and vaccines on their side. The right has everything else.

I'm exaggerating, but I'm also mostly correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the OP anyone he disagrees with is a Democrat even those of us who have voted in US elections but have never voted for a Democrat in our lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
The left has bad arguments regarding GMOs and vaccines on their side. The right has everything else.

I think you're also forgetting to stay classy, or some such thing.

(Christ.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Are Democrats all anti-GMO. Damn, apparently I missed that memo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I think by "Democrat" he means political bogeyman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
bbenston wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

I think you're also forgetting to stay classy, or some such thing.

(Christ.)

Aw, c'mon! That was good-natured and kind of funny. Surely the doctrine of punching up in humor would allow this, without us liberals having to get all snide in response?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I don't claim to be a Democrat, but let's face it, I mostly vote Democrat. I am totally a scientist.

I posted a recent article from the NYT on my G+ feed, and used it to start a discussion on why I voted against the GMO labeling initiative in Washington. I assume most of my liberal friends voted for it, but the only one to reply said that she'd also voted no, since the issue was too complicated to address with a label. She's also a scientist. COINCIDENCE????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
whac3 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I don't claim to be a Democrat, but let's face it, I mostly vote Democrat. I am totally a scientist.

I posted a recent article from the NYT on my G+ feed, and used it to start a discussion on why I voted against the GMO labeling initiative in Washington. I assume most of my liberal friends voted for it, but the only one to reply said that she'd also voted no, since the issue was too complicated to address with a label. She's also a scientist. COINCIDENCE????

Well, I'm a scientist and although I registered as unaffiliated was always Republicanly inclined until I began to feel that the party turned its back on everything about Conservatism I believe in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
I agree, there is a huge degree of hypocrisy in the green movement, but I cannot help but feel that this piece really is the pot calling the kettle black.

That's up there as the most reserved vicious gut-ripping understatement of this century.

Well done.

Perhaps I should have asked you to praise Franco?
That might have prduced a better outcome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

That's up there as the most reserved vicious gut-ripping understatement of this century.

Well done.

Yes, because you can never have a measured response, everything must be hysterical hyperbole.

I was not aware Franco had any views on environmentalism, but I suspect he would have been closer to the Republicans them the Democrats on mopst issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
Pinook wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Well done.

Yes, because you can never have a measured response, everything must be hysterical hyperbole.

I was not aware Franco had any views on environmentalism, but I suspect he would have been closer to the Republicans them the Democrats on mopst issues.
Yes quite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Pinook wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Well done.

Yes quite.
Your are correct, I should try to be more RSP.

But why the fuck do we have to (dog shite, Obama, Bush (I, II)) always turn everything into a hate filled spouting of bile against all you cunts who disagree with me (I am a god, I know everything and any one who says otherwise is a moron). Are you people really such girly men that you have to shut and scream (and stamp your little feet) whenever anyone says anything you disagree with (did I point out your also woosies too?). I mean for fuck sake, wanker, tossers and assorted twats, that you can disagree with someone with out having to fucking insult them all the time (did I point out that anyone who disagrees with me has not got a sense of humour as they cannot take a joke (retards)).

As to Franco, what they fucking shit cunting knob buckets has Franco got to fucking do with global tossing warming?

Is that RSP worthy enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I missed "conservative pus-suckers" in your rant but I think I understand your main points.

You think Franco didn't kill lots of anarchists cause you read that the communists had already destroyed them.
Well maybe the communists had destroyed them as a political force but Franco killed those who got reported as anarchist sympathisers after Franco had control?

And perhaps similarly you were mistaken about the topic of my post? Maybe you think that it was about GMOs or the environment or your faults whereas actually I was taken by your use of language and sought to congratulate you?

Why not leave that smelly T-shirt at the river.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=Ug69Xi04C78C&pg=PA79&lpg...:&source=bl&ots=lRnJGb-ymC&sig=Ex_ROH3elI3B7GNo4jOP3q6H4is&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xj3RUoORHciOlQWt2oDoCg&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=monk%20%22left%20the%20woman%20back%20at%20the%20river%22%3A&f=false

[ubiquitous hyperbole]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
I missed "conservative pus-suckers" in your rant but I think I understand your main points.

You think Franco didn't kill lots of anarchists cause you read that the communists had already destroyed them.
Well maybe the communists had destroyed them as a political force but Franco killed those who got reported as anarchist sympathisers after Franco had control?

And perhaps similarly you were mistaken about the topic of my post? Maybe you think that it was about GMOs or the environment or your faults whereas actually I was taken by your use of language and sought to congratulate you?

Why not leave that smelly T-shirt at the river.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=Ug69Xi04C78C&pg=PA79&lpg...:&source=bl&ots=lRnJGb-ymC&sig=Ex_ROH3elI3B7GNo4jOP3q6H4is&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xj3RUoORHciOlQWt2oDoCg&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=monk%20%22left%20the%20woman%20back%20at%20the%20river%22%3A&f=false

[ubiquitous hyperbole]
Thee I apologize if I mistook your tone, and will not try to be more RSP in the future (I will leave it to the experts).

As to Franco, I said the communists destroyed the Anarchists, Franco may well have killed some. But most had been killed by the communists (I suspect, there was a war between communists and Anarchists). As individuals Franco killed some, as a movement it was the communists who destroyed it. As to who killed more anarchists, who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.