Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Hobbs
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello community! I've been lurking on these forums for a few months now, and thought it was time to say hello and ask for a suggestion. I have started a small collection of board games for me and my gf, but id like some advice on what would be a good game for us to play next. Since board gaming isn't a cheap hobby, i ask for opinions on what you think would be a good game for us two, and for a small party of 6 that i have every now and then.

A little bit on what we like and like sounds like a start first.
ME: I will play just about anything with a good theme and is very engrossing. Some of my favorite games are Power Grid, Dominion, Ticket to Ride. I really want to jump into some rpg type board games but the big problem with that is my gf isn't an rpg kind of person like i am.

GF: Her current favorite is Power Grid, and she likes Ticket to Ride alot. We both enjoy co op games, and we've played pandemic which we both liked. She prefers a game that isn't overly complex but can still hold your attention well. By the games she likes the most I am gathering that she enjoys building and buying mechanics. She loves to read so i was thinking of a fun co op storytelling type of board game.

I'm trying my best not to scare her away from board gaming, but i would really like to find a fantasy themed game that she would also enjoy.

Currently looking at:
Twilight Struggle
Flash Point (bought)
Innovation
Ticket to Ride Europe

I'm not opposed to games that play well with more people, the game just needs to play well with at least 2.

Thank you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game you're looking at that plays up to 6 is Flash Point (and Lords of the Waterdeep with the expansion).

If you need it to play up to 6 and you like Power Grid and Ticket to Ride, you'd probably also really like Railways of the World. The rules are pretty simple, but it has really deep strategy. It comes with 2 maps--Mexico and Eastern US. Mexico is great for 2-3 and Eastern US is good with 5-6 (and plays okay with 4).

Though, it's another route building game (like Ticket to Ride and Power Grid) with some additional things like pickup and deliver. If you don't need the game to play up to 6, you have many more options. Lords of the Waterdeep would be a great intro to worker placement games. It's super fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hobbs
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry I should have clarified, up to 6 isn't a necessity, just convenient. This is mostly for me and my gf, we occasionally host another couple and very rarely host two couples. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Iamgob wrote:

A little bit on what we like and like sounds like a start first.
ME: I will play just about anything with a good theme and is very engrossing. Some of my favorite games are Power Grid, Dominion, Ticket to Ride. I really want to jump into some rpg type board games but the big problem with that is my gf isn't an rpg kind of person like i am.

GF: Her current favorite is Power Grid, and she likes Ticket to Ride alot. We both enjoy co op games, and we've played pandemic which we both liked. She prefers a game that isn't overly complex but can still hold your attention well. By the games she likes the most I am gathering that she enjoys building and buying mechanics. She loves to read so i was thinking of a fun co op storytelling type of board game.

I can not comment on the games you list... but reading your requirements I think Shadowrift could really fit.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Lords of Waterdeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Mage Knight be considered a 6 player game now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Winslow
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both Mice and Mystics and Lords of Waterdeep. I'd say Lords of Waterdeep is by far the better choice based on what the both of you like. M&M is a beautiful dungeon crawl with a neat story but Lords of Waterdeep is a deeper game and plays more along the line of what you two are used to. Everyone, no matter what their game background, that has played LoW at my table really enjoyed it. And up to 5 can play. With M&M you are locked into 4 players max and some scenarios even less.

You might also enjoy Defenders of the Realm or Castle Panic, two cooperative fantasy-themed games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Boislard
Canada
Magog
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Mage Knight the board game? No and personnaly i don't want to play it at 3 or more player because of the lenght.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second, third ... whatever Lords of Waterdeep for doing a decent job of pasting an RPG feel onto a boardgame. I like it best with 3-4 players, but I play often with just 2 and have fun doing so.

On the subject of games that scale from 2 to 6 players, I can personally recommend just one, Alhambra. It's sweet spot is still 3-4 players, IMO, but it still works with fewer or more, too.

Lastly, if you want a game that really shines at 4, 5 and 6 players, check out Medici. I've played this with probably two dozen people and 23 of them thought it was awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Lords of Waterdeep. It was one of the first things I thought of before I saw you list it as a possibility! My wife and I like it a lot. She likes it for the quests she has to work towards and for the worker placement. I like it because, well, I like just about everything.

One out of the box suggestion not to be taken too seriously as it very well might scare someone off from gaming (people new to gaming anyway - I know because I've done it!): Eldritch Horror. It doesn't hit all your wants, but I thought of it for...
- Something at least in the way of RPG-ish (building up your character)
- Co-op
- Reading
- Engrossing theme
- Plays 2 to 8

It is fairly complex though, and game length might be a factor. Also there's no building, but there is a small buying element (hardly to even mention, but it's there). It's Horror themed, so I don't know how that would go over. But my wife likes it for the theme, the story, and working together towards accomplishing a goal/mission, so I thought I'd at least mention it.

(actually, we love Arkham Horror which is way complex and fiddly, and we've only played Eldritch (Arkham's younger sibling) once, but we thought it was quite solid, it's shorter, and it solves many of Arkham's fiddly problems, such as they are)

Again, I'm just throwing Eldritch out there. Of all the things listed in this thread so far, it's probably the worst suggestion for newer gamers. haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people may not like it but you can try Tales of the Arabian Nights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalius666 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Mage Knight the board game? No and personnaly i don't want to play it at 3 or more player because of the lenght.

6 playable characters now right?
Could do conquest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep seems like it should fit the bill for you, although it might be a little on the light side.

I would only recommend Mage Knight if you want to send your wife screaming into the hills.

If 6-player isn't necessary and your wife likes confrontational play, consider Kemet. It plays quickly and has a good amount of depth and high replayability, melding euro-style action placement with aggressive dudes-on-a-map style area control. Quite unique:

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/32192/kemet/su-sd-review-keme...

For your own preferences, it's also hard not to recommend Mice & Mystics. You're looking for a dungeon crawl with minis that isn't too imposing with the rules and that's the only one I can think of that is scalable to more than 2 players. If you're ever looking for a quick, tense, strictly 2-player experience with minis and a dungeon setting, consider Claustrophobia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hobbs
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the suggestions! Tales of the Arabian nights looks really interesting, although everywhere i've looked online seems to be sold out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's being reprinted so it should be more available soon.

Also be aware that the game is super random. Don't expect any kind of gaming beyond making some choose-your-own-adventure choices and watching the outcomes. A very situational game, at least for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hobbs
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Looking for 2 player and up to 6 player game! (updated)
I went on a bit of a spending spree and now have:

Flashpoint - my girlfriend loves this game! I think in the next couple months (when i have more spending money again haha) we could buy some of the expansions. Anyone have any experience with these? do they make the game any better, or just feel like a fresh coat of paint, something a little different?

Tales of the Arabian Nights - Its shipping right now but my girlfriend likes the idea of this so im pretty excited myself.

Suburbia - I showed this to my girlfriend in a SUSD review video. She thinks it would be alot of fun. I ordered it even though its in back ordered, so hopefully itll be here soon. Looks like a lot of fun. Question, how is the expansion on this one as well?

Memoir 44 - I was ad Madness Games and Comics yesterday and she suddenly blurts out, "I wanna play a war game." I almost formed a tear i was so happy. I let her choose and she almost chose Twilight Struggle which would have been amazing, but she liked the idea of Memoir 44 more. Again, are the expansions with this any good?

and lastly, every single power grid map expansion - I think its an understatement that we both love this game to death. We have played it nearly ever night that we don't go to the Dallas Stars hockey games, and we aren't ever bored. My last question would be is there a game out there similar to this that any thinks we would like just as much? I was looking at first sparks and factory manager, but i wonder if there's a completely different game franchise out there for us.

Also any recommendation for a war game i would appreciate. We nearly purchased Twilight Struggle, but i told her that its pretty complicated to learn. She also looked at Path of snow(i think i butchered the title).

Edit: I cannot for the life of me convince the GF to play lords of waterdeep because of the "nerdy fantasy theme". I did my best but nothing. pretty saddening...

Edit 2: This community is awesome. I check out this website four or five times a day. Simply outstanding! Thanks for all the discussions I've been able to heave with my friends and family because of this website. And thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower sounds like a good match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a pretty light, fun, and adorable war game (yes I said adorable) see if you can find Rivet Wars to try. Not sure when it'll be generally available though , it just shipped to kickstarter backers recently. My wife and I own it and go to Madness occasionally, maybe we could show it to you. GM if interested. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, Suburbia Inc makes an average game great. The goals in the base game are a little wonky and the challenges and bonuses even it out.

The Wargame you are trying to remember is A Few Acres of Snow and it is very good. It's a mix of dominion and a war game. The gameplay is simple and deep, I think it is definitely something you should explore.

RE Coops:
Are either of you Ex M:TG players? If so have you considered The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. This is one of my favourite Coop games, just behind Space Alert and Hanabi. It's a really hard puzzle where you really have to work as a team in order to win the day.

RE Power grid:
Well TBH, more generally I'm going to suggest a number of Economic/Building games. These also happen to be my wife's favourite games. Take a look at the following.
Brass: Lancashire: Not technically a 2P game, but it has a good set of variant rules. It has really fascinating interaction in that you can take actions that are mutually beneficial, that can still screw up your opponent's plans.
The Castles of Burgundy: I've played this probably 20 times. It's one of those games where you can feel proud of your little patch when you finish.
Keyflower: This game is amazing. It has pretty much everything she wants, building, auctions, simple ruleset, complex implementation.
Eclipse: This is a game for both of you. This looks like epic space battles, but at it's core beats a sound economic heart. When I first played it, I couldn't help feeling we played power grid in space with giant dreadnoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.