16 Posts

Small World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bhd
msg tools
Hello,

I have got some rule questions. Please enlighten me on these things.

1) Are declined Ghouls treated like any active race and lose only 1 token when attacked and the rest goes to the hand for redeployment?

2) Giants need to sit on a mountain to make all adjacent zones cheaper by 1, right?
And also, does this effect add up, thus making a region adjacent to 2 conquered mountains cheaper by 2 (yes, at least 1 token is always needed)?

3) How do “passive” abilities and the Gnome immunity or those received through abilities (Hero, Hobbit Holes) interact? Like the ability Thievery next to Gnomes – do I get a coin? And also can I fly into a Gnome-zone? I guess no, protection prevents all of this, right?

4) Seafaring in UW – do the 3 river regions cost 1 or 2 tokens?

5) Combining UW and normal SW races and abilities: which map would u rather choose to play on (when playing without artifacts? Because when we play without artifacts we only put 1 monster on the marked spots instead of 2, but then there are too few zones with monsters in it – it seems to be better spread on the normal SW map.

Thanks a lot.

Greetings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Man
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can answer your first two questions:

eyeless wrote:
1) Are declined Ghouls treated like any active race and lose only 1 token when attacked and the rest goes to the hand for redeployment?

Yes

eyeless wrote:
2) Giants need to sit on a mountain to make all adjacent zones cheaper by 1, right?
And also, does this effect add up, thus making a region adjacent to 2 conquered mountains cheaper by 2 (yes, at least 1 token is always needed)?

You are right about Giants, but the effect of two mountains is not cumulative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
eyeless wrote:
3) How do “passive” abilities and the Gnome immunity or those received through abilities (Hero, Hobbit Holes) interact? Like the ability Thievery next to Gnomes – do I get a coin? And also can I fly into a Gnome-zone? I guess no, protection prevents all of this, right?

They don't exist when you attack a Gnome. Treat it as if you have NO special abilities whatsoever.

Quote:
4) Seafaring in UW – do the 3 river regions cost 1 or 2 tokens?

Rivers only cost 1 token to begin with. Seafaring would only allow you to occupy them at the end of your turn instead of redeploying them.

Quote:
5) Combining UW and normal SW races and abilities: which map would u rather choose to play on (when playing without artifacts? Because when we play without artifacts we only put 1 monster on the marked spots instead of 2, but then there are too few zones with monsters in it – it seems to be better spread on the normal SW map.

Our preference is to split it and use tunnels. So if we have 5 players, we would use one board for 3 players (usually normal) and the other for 2 players (underground) and link them with tunnels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomes? Thievery? Is this Small World we're talking about? Are these from Underground perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DreamStorm wrote:
Gnomes? Thievery? Is this Small World we're talking about? Are these from Underground perhaps?

Underground. But it also contains base game questions so it could have gone under either entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
eyeless wrote:

Gnomes CAN be stolen from via Thievery because their ability only protects them from abilities used to conquer them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eyeless wrote:

I also prefer tunnels when mashing SW and SWU together. It allows for the best of both games to be used and you don't need to adjust anything. Playing with no relics or places however, definitely the SW map. SWU's map expects that players are chasing after the relics/places so it's designed around that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
DreamStorm wrote:

Underground. But it also contains base game questions so it could have gone under either entry.

I understand, I don't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bhd
msg tools
Thanks a lot for all the quick answers. But concerning the Gnome immunity there now are 2 different answers.

Are they only protected from "targeted" abilities and not from passive ones like Thievery?
Or are they protected by ALL abilities without excemptions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
eyeless wrote:
Thanks a lot for all the quick answers. But concerning the Gnome immunity there now are 2 different answers.

Are they only protected from "targeted" abilities and not from passive ones like Thievery?
Or are they protected by ALL abilities without excemptions?

I don't really know what you mean by "targeted" vs "passive" abilities. I gave you the exact answer last time which is they are only protected from abilities used to conquer them (which excludes Thievery) which you could confirm is correct by simply checking the rulebook.

Quote:
Gnomes
During their turns, other players cannot
use their racial & special powers or any
effect of the Places or Relics they control,
to conquer Regions occupied by your
Gnomes
. This includes indirect effects: A
player whose troops are not in a Region next to your Gnomes
could not attack them, even if he controlled the Great Brass Pipe
(see The Great Brass Pipe p. 15). And the Balrog can’t conquer
a Region occupied by Gnomes either.
The Gnomes immunity to all these effects is only valid during
other players’ turns however. During their own turn, they can
still use relics, places, etc, as usual.

and if you are still unwilling to believe me you can even go to the Days of Wonder website which directly answers that question
Quote:

Q. Are Gnomes immune to the Pillaging / Ransacking / Thieving Powers?
A. No, as these Powers do not help conquerring a region. Note : this is also true for Froggy's Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The difference is whether you are "conquering" or just some other way influencing them. My response was to "conquering" (although I used the word attack). I am not disagreeing with allstar64 nor the FAQ.

So if a special ability does not contribute to conquering them, it still applies, as in the case of Thievery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Allstar and I are turning into grumpy old men here in these rules forums. laugh We see the same questions a lot and spend time answering them a lot, and then new people come along and ask them all over again, often without even bothering to search for the abundant number of answers on the topic, already in the forums. Your base game questions are nothing new--in fact they are some of the most common. But they have been well answered by others, so I need not focus on that.

On the other hand, your SWU questions are rarities in this forum, and while one could argue that maybe you should have split your post and put your questions into 2 different forums (one here and one in SWU), I'm okay with it, as it is. In fact, I think you've made a valuable strategic observation, below, concerning monsters:
eyeless wrote:

I must confess, I haven't tried relics/places on the original maps. I have tried it with Realms above-ground maps, using river rules & tunnels. For me it just changed the game in ways I don't like. Perhaps this is because we used a scenario map and threw the Tunnels & R/P into it--perhaps the map wasn't balanced for those elements.

That horrid play tipped me off to the suspicion that maps using things such as R/P and Tunnels would need to be tested & refined for use with those new elements. For me it's hard enough already to balance a Realms map for a variety of player counts. I haven't taken the additional steps & time to test for the inclusion of these little variables. I don't have enough local Small World fans to make that much testing a reality in less than a year per map.

FWIW, the most frequent way that I combine the 2 base sets is described here. But I really like Brian's suggestion, above, of playing with 2 separate maps. I wonder if he's got any suggestion, based on his experience, for where to place the tunnels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bandit_boy7 wrote:
But I really like Brian's suggestion, above, of playing with 2 separate maps. I wonder if he's got any suggestion, based on his experience, for where to place the tunnels?

The original Tunnel expansion had a setup key for the different number of players. I don't think this was shown in Realms for those that got the tunnels there.

I haven't looked to see if there is some pattern but they were generally in the same area on both maps so you didn't need to look all over for them. EDIT: Looking at the pictures on the expansion entry, looks like they placed them in the caves of Small World and then whatever would have been the closest region in the exact location on Underground.

Realms may have had some further instruction on how to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that, Brian.
I have both Tunnels & Realms, but I left Tunnels in the shrink, thinking it was equal to what I had in the Realms box. I didn't know about the placement key.

It sounds like this Tunnels setup really favors the owner of the Underworld Power, am I right?

I wonder if there is a set number of tunnels used for specific player counts? (I realize this is maybe a question for the Tunnels forums...I'll go check there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah it is. Basically the setup key shows both tunnel and monster placement for the differing number of players.

As for the underground (and spiderling) power it is good but no better than it normally is. I mean the underground power was already a very good ability cause it gives extremely high mobility to one giant board so now it gives a lot of mobility to 2 different boards.

Other than that you just got to work out a few kinks like how certian powers interact with the duel boards and which combos must be redrawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bandit_boy7 wrote:
I wonder if there is a set number of tunnels used for specific player counts? (I realize this is maybe a question for the Tunnels forums...I'll go check there.)

Here are the original rules on DOW's site:

http://cdn0.daysofwonder.com/smallworld/en/img/sw_tu_rules.p...

There are a number of tunnels equal to the number of players (the original 6-player "board"!)

It has been a while since we played but we found it an excellent way to mix everything together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.