6 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Painting: How to Protect Existing Paint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Hawke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a tip here... with the GalGathrong I would love to do a semi-custom paint job on everything BUT the cool/classic decal underneath.

In a similar situation, I'd like to adjust the color of most of the sutherland's base color to the gray tone I've used for my other ships but I think they did a pretty good job on the nacelles and the deflector.

Is there any good tip on how to either protect or paint such that if you make a mistake it isn't going to ruin everything?

Sometimes I wish life had a CTRL+Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grogian K
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could try masking those areas with liquid Frisket. It creates a layer of latex when it dries that you can peel/rub off. I haven't tried it, but have been meaning to grab some for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you paint with acrylics, you can easily wipe off any overpaint with a wet cloth. My thought is that careful painting may require as much dexterity and time as masking what you want to leave untouched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with the liquid masking solution, although I'm not familiar with it by the brand name mentioned. You should be able to find it at any hobby store that sells model kits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Silly putty is a good masking agent too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obsidian3d wrote:
Silly putty is a good masking agent too.

This works quite well for decals.

Alternatively after you apply the paint if you have a white nylon brush it will be strong enough to wipe the paint off and clear the area.

Walmart and most places sell white nylon brushes for very cheap.

The model details of this game are pretty shallow so remember to water down your paints a bit which will also make bringing back the decal that much easier.

To be honest the easiest way to not have to do any of this is to get a fine detail brush and carefully paint around it instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.