Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I noted at the end of my review of this game, my least favorite part of the survival mode is how it ends. Here is a quote from the review (the full review can be found here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1095437/review-of-risk-the-w...)

El_Tonio wrote:
The thing I liked least about the game is that Overrun card mechanic gives a very big advantage to those going later in the last round. This is because when the Overrun card is drawn, the game ends as soon as the current round is finished (i.e., after everyone has had their turn for the round and there is one final outbreak). The problem is that more often than not it will be pulled after some people have gone, which to give an unfair advantage to those going later in the round. That is, those going after it was drawn can make choices with full information -- like saving ammo crates, breaking alliances/promises with impunity, deciding if they need to go after an extra territory for points, etc. -- while those going before cannot. To fix this, I am thinking about adding a house rule that the round after the Overrun card is drawn (as opposed to the round it is drawn) is the final round (still not perfect, but much less of a problem than it was in our game).

This issue was also raised in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1067075/same-problem-as-risk...

Doing one more full round after the Outbreak card as I suggested in that review helped. But, it did not fully solve the problem because the person going last still had a notable advantage in that they could spread their troops thin to take over more territories and get more points knowing there was nothing anyone could do about this. Even with the final outbreak, the most they could lose was three territories, and more likely it would be just one or none.

Sounds like this was an issue in Risk 2210, and I'm wondering if folks ave ideas about how to solve the problem?

My latest thinking is that the game ends when the outbreak card is drawn, period. This is a little unfair to those who would have gone after the outbreak card (unless the first player happens to draw it, in which case it is very fair), but that seems far better than some folks getting to act after it is drawn (or the advantage the last player gets simply by knowing they are the last player). It also seems more along the lines off what happens when someone gets a fourth red star token in Risk Legacy... the game ends immediately.

What do folks think of this? Any other ideas about how to address this issue wile playing in survival mode (which is otherwise a great way to play)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enials Slaine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That idea i.e. instant end of game, sounds like something worth trying.

Thinking out loud here but what about trying a house rule where after the Overrun card is played, players can only attack Walkers? And we know they are no push over. Perhaps any they attack and don't defeat would then attack back like an Outbreak?

Or perhaps after the Overrun card is played all players get one more turn, irrespective of where they are in the Round i.e. 4 player game, player 2 reveals the Overrun card, so play then continues i.e. player 2, 3, 4 then 1, then a final Outbreak and stop. Probably just shifts the advantage to the player who revealed the Overrun card though...

Or a combination of both?

Or......once the Overrun card is played all Walker occupied territories become activated i.e. they start to attack adjacent Survivor territories rather than merely standing around and defending against Survivors? A way to perhaps balance that would be to have the Walkers only being allowed to attack the players still left to have a turn. This could represent the Walkers reacting only to those Survivors still 'active'. Who gets to choose how the Walkers attack? Perhaps only those players who have completed their turn...or just the one having done so? How many Walker territories attack? Only those adjacent to the remaining players? Er, bit complicated? Example: 4 player game, player 2 draws the Overrun card. At the end of player 2's turn they look to see what Walker territories are adjacent to any of player 3 and 4's territories, and has the Walkers attack them (rolling to decide which if there is a choice?)...and as Walkers are dumb I'd suggest they attack without leaving one Walker in the territory? At the end of player 3's turn they then do the same but only against any of player 4's territories. Don't know...it might make it too much of an disadvantage to go last!

meeple...now, rules for a Walking Dead Carcassone anybody?...zombie

Wibble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll try the instant end next time I play and let folks know how it goes.

I really like the idea of once the overrun card is drawn, players can only attack walkers. Definitely gives later folks an advantage, but no where near as much as there is now.

And, your idea of everyone getting one more turn before the final outbreak would also be an improvement over the current rules (especially if combined with your first idea as you suggested). It would shift the advantage to a different last player, but again, no where near as bad as it is now (especially if both of your ideas are in use).

The active walker idea is also interesting, but complex as you noted. Maybe after the overrun card is drawn, every time a player attacks another player, that player gets to do a free walker attack against them. This would not be too powerful as walker territories usually have 3-6 walkers (usually toward the lower end). This would be a disincentive to attack other players, while not beeing too big of a threat (if you have a herd of walkers next to an important territory of your own, maybe you'd think twice about attacking someone).

Thanks for your thoughts! I will definitely give the first two a try. What do other folks thing of these ideas? Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enials Slaine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
El_Tonio wrote:
Maybe after the overrun card is drawn, every time a player attacks another player, that player gets to do a free walker attack against them. This would not be too powerful as walker territories usually have 3-6 walkers (usually toward the lower end). This would be a disincentive to attack other players, while not beeing too big of a threat (if you have a herd of walkers next to an important territory of your own, maybe you'd think twice about attacking someone).

Now that sounds good cool If you (or anybody) give any of the suggestions that get posted a go it'd be great to get some feedback. So far I've only played this twice; first game I went first and came last (we ran out of time (and Walkers) so finished after about 2.5 hours play, letting the 4th player complete their turn even though the Overrun card was not revealed (turned out to be another 6 or so cards down the stacksurprise)...an advantage again to the later/last player(s)), second game there was only 2 of us and I managed to wipe the other player out before the Overrun card was revealed. In the first game the Walkers were pretty much left alone (which is how we ran out of Walker pieces), thus my inclination to get them 'motivated' devil to move out of their territories. I digress

3rd game now played, 2 players. Overrun card was at bottom of stack. Player 1 revealed it and at the time had a good score advantage, but player 2 then had their turn and just attacked as many of player 1's territories as possible and turned the scores around with no fear of any reprisals from player 1. Next game we're going to try an alternate ending of some sort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Butler
Australia
Bundaberg
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im am currently looking into getting the game and have heard a fair bit about the potential imbalance with the overrun card.

Has anyone given the game additional plays with any more of the house rules to see if they balance out the end game better?

Would love to here more about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.