24 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sideboard fleet point scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
I'm trying to make sure I understand the fleet point scoring for the Sideboard for my OP4 coming up.

Do cards that are on ships at the start of a game but end on the Reinforcement Sideboard count as surviving fleet or not? The FAQ isn't clear to me on this. Is it talking about scoring fleet points or count surviving ships when it says the following?

From the FAQ
Quote:
9. How are the cards on the Reinforcements Sideboard scored at the end of a tournament round?

The cards that start the game on the Reinforcements Sideboard are inextricably linked to the Sideboard for scoring purposes. Therefore, if a match ends in a tie, then any Sideboard cards currently on ships (or tucked under Ship Cards) do not count for scoring purposes. Any cards that started the match in play but which are now on the Reinforcements Sideboard are considered out of play as well, so they also do not count for scoring purposes.

If a player eliminates all of his opponent's ships, then he scores 10 points for that opponent's Reinforcements Sideboard. If a player does not eliminate his opponent's ships, then he does not score those points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards that started on the ships and ended up on the sideboard do not get scored as part of 'remaining fleet' - as the sideboard, ITSELF, is scored (10 pts) as part of the 'remaining fleet' (until all ships are destroyed).

So basically:
1) Start with the fleet build list you brought to the match
2) Strike out any items from the ships that have been moved to the sideboard
3) Enemy scores 100 points - [whatever ships (and remaining ORIGINAL upgrades) are left on the board + a flat 10 points for the sideboard resource (as long as their ARE any ships remaining)...doesn't matter how many cards are or are not on it, it's worth a flat 10 points]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is that simple, anything that started on the sideboard doesn't count points when they destroy a ship. When you fill out the form, when they destroy a ship they get the ship points. (Say Donatra on an Apnex - 18 points). If you use the reinforcement sideboard and put cloaked mines on that Apnex, they still only get 18 points for blowing it up.

If they wipe out your entire fleet, they get the sideboard's 10SP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:
It really is that simple, anything that started on the sideboard doesn't count points when they destroy a ship. When you fill out the form, when they destroy a ship they get the ship points. (Say Donatra on an Apnex - 18 points). If you use the reinforcement sideboard and put cloaked mines on that Apnex, they still only get 18 points for blowing it up.

This line from the FAQ
Quote:
Any cards that started the match in play but which are now on the Reinforcements Sideboard are considered out of play as well, so they also do not count for scoring purposes.
states that you are incorrect. Donatra on the Sideboard doesn't count for points when the Apnex if destroyed. And those Cloaked Mines aren't scored either since they started the game on the Sideboard. The Apnex w/Cloaked Mines and w/o Donatra would be worth 12 points.

Yes, the Sideboard can be a way to keep the opponent from scoring some points. Andrew said this was intended to function like that. It's buried somewhere in the FAQ thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except, fleet points aren't what you destroyed, they're scenario build total minus the opponent's surviving items. Tossing something to the sideboard shouldn't deny any points, unless I'm doing my math wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
Except, fleet points aren't what you destroyed, they're scenario build total minus the opponent's surviving items. Tossing something to the sideboard shouldn't deny any points, unless I'm doing my math wrong.

It's 100 minus "what's left on the board". Anything on the Sideboard is still "on the board" effectively. Moving something from a starting ship, like Donatra, to the Sideboard DOES deny those points if the entire fleet isn't destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
Magentawolf wrote:

It's 100 minus "what's left on the board". Anything on the Sideboard is still "on the board" effectively. Moving something from a starting ship, like Donatra, to the Sideboard DOES deny those points if the entire fleet isn't destroyed.

So, per the above, it's both 'out of play' and 'left on the board' at the same time? Nah, I don't like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hunter
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
jonnyd76 wrote:

This line from the FAQ
Quote:
Any cards that started the match in play but which are now on the Reinforcements Sideboard are considered out of play as well, so they also do not count for scoring purposes.
states that you are incorrect. Donatra on the Sideboard doesn't count for points when the Apnex if destroyed. And those Cloaked Mines aren't scored either since they started the game on the Sideboard. The Apnex w/Cloaked Mines and w/o Donatra would be worth 12 points.

Yes, the Sideboard can be a way to keep the opponent from scoring some points. Andrew said this was intended to function like that. It's buried somewhere in the FAQ thread.

At the end of the tournamanet you add up the point value of any remaining ships and subtract from 100. If you swapped out upgrades and Captains etc the new upgrade / captain point value counts towards the remaining point value. If your fleet was not completely destroyed then you count the 10 points for the sideboard in your remaining fleet.

So in the example above if you have Apnex and Donatra at start of game at 18pts (14+4) and sideboard out Donatra for Valdore (3pts). If the Apnex were your only surviving ship then yourremaining points would be Apnex 17pts (14+3) and 10pts for the sideboard. You apponent would score 73 (100-27) Fleet Points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
davedujour wrote:
Magentawolf wrote:

So, per the above, it's both 'out of play' and 'left on the board' at the same time? Nah, I don't like that.

Yes, because the Sideboard is only scored if the entire fleet is destroyed.

The discussion is in the FAQ thread, I want to say somewhere in the 50s/60s pages. Andrew made that very specifically clear. And the FAQ answer says exactly the same thing:

Quote:
9. How are the cards on the Reinforcements Sideboard scored at the end of a tournament round?

The cards that start the game on the Reinforcements Sideboard are inextricably linked to the Sideboard for scoring purposes. Therefore, if a match ends in a tie, then any Sideboard cards currently on ships (or tucked under Ship Cards) do not count for scoring purposes. Any cards that started the match in play but which are now on the Reinforcements Sideboard are considered out of play as well, so they also do not count for scoring purposes.

If a player eliminates all of his opponent's ships, then he scores 10 points for that opponent's Reinforcements Sideboard. If a player does not eliminate his opponent's ships, then he does not score those points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeastRabban wrote:

At the end of the tournamanet you add up the point value of any remaining ships and subtract from 100. If you swapped out upgrades and Captains etc the new upgrade / captain point value counts towards the remaining point value. If your fleet was not completely destroyed then you count the 10 points for the sideboard in your remaining fleet.

So in the example above if you have Apnex and Donatra at start of game at 18pts (14+4) and sideboard out Donatra for Valdore (3pts). If the Apnex were your only surviving ship then yourremaining points would be Apnex 17pts (14+3) and 10pts for the sideboard. You apponent would score 73 (100-27) Fleet Points.

Well, this isn't true - Valdore started on the sideboard, so his points never count as 'surviving', and while Donatra is now on the sideboard, she's also ignored for scoring purposes.

You have a 14pt Apnex remaining, along with 10 pts for the sideboard, so the opponent scores 76 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:

The discussion is in the FAQ thread, I want to say somewhere in the 50s/60s pages. Andrew made that very specifically clear. And the FAQ answer says exactly the same thing:

Quote:

Does not count for scoring purposes. Therefor, it's irrelevant, and not counted as being left on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
Best I've found this long re-quote in the FAQ thread which seems to say that you don't get to count cards on the sideboard for surviving fleet as that would be penalized your opponent.

Andrew Parks wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:
XanderF wrote:
H00D4M4N wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Caeser56 wrote:
1- Assuming there is a 100-point build limit, let's say the player in question pays the 10-points for the sideboard. Does the 20 points assigned to the board apply to the build limit, effectively making the card cost 30 points? Or do the 20 points not cost against the build limit, effectively giving the player a 120-point build in a 100-point limit?

From previous discussion - the latter.

Although note that it does cost 10 points to bring it, so you are only getting 90 regular fleet points - the net impact of the sideboard is thus to give you 110 points (in your example) in a 100 point list.

Although also note that the cross-faction +1-point-per-card penalty doesn't apply (instead, the penalty is that ships that pull in "reinforcements" from the "sideboard" get an aux token with them if they are cross-faction). So if you went pure-"cross-faction" with the upgrade cards, you are theoretically getting 115 pts for 100 (although then getting at least 5 aux tokens over the course of the game to bring them in).

I'm assuming that any cards brought in via the sideboard also follow normal rules. So if you bring a card onto a ship and that ship survives, you would score points for that card. Likewise, if you bring in a card onto a ship and the ship is destroyed, your opponent would score bonus points for that card.

I could have sworn this was answered up-thread, but I'm not finding it at the moment.

IIRC., the answer was that the sideboard is scored as a 'resource' - IE., it (and everything it brings into the game) is 10 fleet points, and only lost (so only scored by the enemy) when the last ship is destroyed.

Upgrades "on the table" (from the sideboard, but not presently ON the sideboard) are not counted for scoring purposes.

So, essentially, when the enemy is totaling up his 'remaining fleet points' to subtract from your 100 at match end, he doesn't use his ships' state as they exist at that moment in time, but based on what they were listed as being worth on his fleet form/list (noting that this does include the 10 points for the sideboard, itself, as long as he has SOME ship left in play - if he doesn't, as noted, you score those points, too).

This is correct. I'll add to the FAQ.

Essentially, the cards brought over from the Sideboard are part of that Resource. They do not affect the score for either player by themselves. If you wipe out your opponent's force, you score the 10 points for his Sideboard. If you don't wipe them out, you don't score those points.

As noted - this does read as a partial contradiction to the tournament rules, which note you score fleet points based on the upgrades "still equipped" on ships.

The important clarification is that it is upgrades "still equipped" on ships which are upgrades they started with.

Although I guess even that doesn't help - the official rule noting 'still equipped on' is just a headache, really. What if I came into battle, flying a Romulan Valdore-class with generic captain (28 pts) and a 'Klingon Advanced Weapons System' (6 points cost to me)...then that ship survived the battle, but at the end of the battle I'd swapped this out (via reinforcements) for a 2-point 'Polarized Hull Plating'.

Given a literal reading of the tournament rule, the enemy would be scoring that ship as removing only 28 points from their total. The 6-point 'Advanced Weapons System' is not "still equipped on" the ship, so can't be scored. And the 2-point 'Polarized Hull Plating' that IS equipped on the ship is ALSO not counted with it, as it is counted in the 10 points of reinforcements I have (since he didn't destroy all my ships).

That's...weird.

I've included this in my clarification. Essentially, this is one of the downsides of the Reinforcements Sideboard. Your opponent is not penalized for cards that started on your Sideboard or which started in play and ended up on your Sideboard at the end of the match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
davedujour wrote:

Quote:

Does not count for scoring purposes. Therefor, it's irrelevant, and not counted as being left on the board.

Yes, but also not counted as being destroyed since the Sideboard is only scored when the entire fleet is destroyed. They're part of the Sideboard and it's "10 points".

Example. Start with this:
Apnex 14 pts
Donatra 4 pts
18 pts

IRW Valdore 30 pts
Toreth 4 pts
Tactical Officer 3 pts
37 pts

IKS Negh'var 30 pts
Martok8 5 pts
35 pts

Reinforcements Sideboard: 10 pts
Mirok
Doesn't Matter What Else For This Example.

During the game, Donatra gets swapped for Mirok. The IRW Valdore and IKS Negh'var are destroyed. Game ends with this:
Apnex 14 pts
Mirok 2 pts
16 pts

Sideboard:
Donatra

Scoring would be 100 - 14 (Mirok started on the Sideboard so doesn't count) - 10 (Sideboard). 86 points for the opponent.

If Donatra had not been moved to the Sideboard, scoring would have been 100 - 18 = 82 pts for the opponent. By moving Donatra to the Sideboard you've just "denied" your opponent 4 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
Ok I found the the ruling in the FAQ this would have been clearer if the FAQ answer hadn't used scoring for two different meanings.

Short answer: You do NOT count any cards (starting on or move to) the sideboard as part of the surviving fleet.

edited to be clearer
Quotes from the FAQ thread below

Andrew Parks wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. Your Fleet Score is equal to the maximum score (usually 100) minus what your opponent had left. So if you pull an Upgrade off a ship, then that Upgrade is still effectively out of play and won't subtract from your opponent's score. Also, remember that the Sideboard doesn't allow you to simply banish a card from a ship at will. You must exchange the card for one that is on the sideboard.

Now if you are able later to re-play an Upgrade from the Sideboard (that was originally in play on a ship) then that would be a nice advantage of the Sideboard and one that is in keeping with the spirit of this Resource (i.e. allowing Upgrades to retreat and return to battle).

And

Andrew Parks wrote:
davedujour wrote:
JustinKase wrote:
Dave did a much better job at illustrating my question

Yes, it would cost the ship an action to swap out the card - but if death is a forgone conclusion for the ship, a player could use this strategy to deny an opponent points.

and thank you for the answer on using an asterisk for the extra points being used for the Admiral Abilities.

I had started to just rephrase the question but quickly decided that building a full example fleet with actual numbers would be better.

An easy way to "deny" more points would be with Crew like Varel. Start with her on a non-Science Vessel, then swap her out for Bochra (9 point difference, no Aux token) and move Varel to the Apnex later in the game. Or just leave Varel on the Sideboard. Put in the Fed Cloaking Device and a few other options and it could be denying a lot of points.

But I don't like that the counter, using the ships starting value to score, encourages the strategy of taking semi-bare ships and building them up early in the game. It's a dilemma.

Correct, the Sideboard allows you to "rescue" a card, but only if you have the foresight to do so before the ship is destroyed, of course, and only if you also spend an Action to get it onto another ship. I think this is in keeping with the spirit of the Reinforcements Sideboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hunter
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
BeastRabban wrote:

Well, this isn't true - Valdore started on the sideboard, so his points never count as 'surviving', and while Donatra is now on the sideboard, she's also ignored for scoring purposes.

You have a 14pt Apnex remaining, along with 10 pts for the sideboard, so the opponent scores 76 points.

Reading what was posted below this in the re-quote from Andrew's earlier ruling I will agree with you that Valdore will not count for remaining fleet points.

Sideboard combined with united force is making scoring a real pain. Trying to track what started where is becoming more complex.

If you use an upgrade that discards and then sideboard into the now vacant upgrade slot you still count the original upgrade to surviving fleet points. If you however do a one for one swap of the same upgrade to the side board without using it, the original no longer counts to remaining fleet points. I think I may add a notebook and pen to my tournament kit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
BeastRabban wrote:

Sideboard combined with united force is making scoring a real pain. Trying to track what started where is becoming more complex.

That's why you need to use the fleet building sheets if they are used. Have them fill in the sideboard as a extra ship and mark all United force cards with a "*" before the name

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:

Yes, but also not counted as being destroyed since the Sideboard is only scored when the entire fleet is destroyed. They're part of the Sideboard and it's "10 points".

Apnex 14 pts
Donatra 4 pts
18 pts

IRW Valdore 30 pts
Toreth 4 pts
Tactical Officer 3 pts
37 pts

IKS Negh'var 30 pts
Martok8 5 pts
35 pts

Mirok

During the game, Donatra gets swapped for Mirok. The IRW Valdore and IKS Negh'var are destroyed. Game ends with this:
Apnex 14 pts
Mirok 2 pts
16 pts

Sideboard:
Donatra

Scoring would be 100 - 14 (Mirok started on the Sideboard so doesn't count) - 10 (Sideboard). 86 points for the opponent.

If Donatra had not been moved to the Sideboard, scoring would have been 100 - 18 = 82 pts for the opponent. By moving Donatra to the Sideboard you've just "denied" your opponent 4 points.

You didn't deny him anything.. you gave him those additional 4 points; he now has a higher score then he otherwise would. Look back at your calculations - Swapping Donatra for Mirok is 86 points to opponent, as opposed to not doing anything at all equals 82 points to the opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
davedujour wrote:

Apnex 14 pts
Donatra 4 pts
18 pts

IRW Valdore 30 pts
Toreth 4 pts
Tactical Officer 3 pts
37 pts

IKS Negh'var 30 pts
Martok8 5 pts
35 pts

Mirok

Apnex 14 pts
Mirok 2 pts
16 pts

Sideboard:
Donatra

You didn't deny him anything.. you gave him those additional 4 points; he now has a higher score then he otherwise would. Look back at your calculations - Swapping Donatra for Mirok is 86 points to opponent, as opposed to not doing anything at all equals 82 points to the opponent.

Actually, 100 - 14 = 86 - 10 (sideboard) would be 76. So yes, if the math example had been done right he did deny his opponent points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:

Actually, 100 - 14 = 86 - 10 (sideboard) would be 76. So yes, if the math example had been done right he did deny his opponent points.

No, because neither of the end scores counted that 10. It would still be 72 vs 76.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy chatter batman!

I had completely forgot about moving things back to the sideboard, my example was merely of using the sideboard to gain additional resources. In my example you start with:

Apnex 14
Donatra 4

If you were to kill that ship, you would get 18 points at the end of the game (because there wouldn't be these 18 points in your opponent's surviving fleet)

If you start the game with Cloaked Mines (3SP) on the resource sideboard, and then send the cloaked mines to the Apnex, when the Apnex is destroyed your opponent doesn't get 21 points for that ship. They still only get 18. If they wipe your whole fleet out they get the 10SP for the Resource, not all the additional little points contained on that resource.

Carry on about moving things back to the resource sideboard - I somehow missed all that chatter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hunter
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Skyguard wrote:
BeastRabban wrote:

That's why you need to use the fleet building sheets if they are used. Have them fill in the sideboard as a extra ship and mark all United force cards with a "*" before the name

Yes .... that would be more complex. You now have to go back and check upgrades and captains on remaining ships to original builds, confirm what was bonus (united force) what came from sideboard and what is left of original. Recalculate the modified point value and then subtractfrom 100.

It's not rocket science but it is more complex and easily overlooked. Particularly for a less experienced player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
BeastRabban wrote:

Yes .... that would be more complex. You now have to go back and check upgrades and captains on remaining ships to original builds, confirm what was bonus (united force) what came from sideboard and what is left of original. Recalculate the modified point value and then subtractfrom 100.

It's not rocket science but it is more complex and easily overlooked. Particularly for a less experienced player.

Agreed but I think the key is unlike what I've been doing in past OP which is just counting what I kill and adding points if the other guy is under 100.

You want to add up what you have left that counts for points then subtract from 100. You just have to be clear at the start what was from the sideboard and other point adding cards and removed them from before you count at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Dave, Sky Guard is correct. If you read any of the OP rules events, you score fleet points based on (Current Maximum Points) - (Opponent's Surviving Fleet). In earlier tournaments it was easier to shorthand it to "you keep what you kill" but the rule wording is very clear that with all these new additions, it can no longer be shortcut that way anymore.

STAW:Reinforcement Sideboard has a link to a most useful post here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13986582#13986582

Andrew Parks wrote:

I've included this in my clarification. Essentially, this is one of the downsides of the Reinforcements Sideboard. Your opponent is not penalized for cards that started on your Sideboard or which started in play and ended up on your Sideboard at the end of the match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, yeah, I did that math wrong. I also forgot the most important detail to deny your opponent points by using the Sideboard. Move them off the Sideboard. New example:

Apnex 14 pts
Generic Captain 0 pts.
14 pts

IRW Valdore 30 pts
Toreth 4 pts
Tactical Officer 3 pts
37 pts

IKS Negh'var 30 pts
Martok8 5 pts
35 pts

Doesn't Matter

During the game, Martok8 gets moved to the Sideboard for a Generic Captain. Later Martok8 gets moved to Apnex. The IRW Valdore and IKS Negh'var are destroyed. Game ends with this:

Apnex 14 pts
Martok8 - 5 pts
19 pts

Sideboard:
Doesn't Matter

Scoring would be 100 - 19 (Apnex) - 10 (Sideboard). 71 points for the opponent.

If Martok8 stayed on the Sideboard, scoring would have been 100 - 14 - 10 = 76 pts for the opponent.

If Martok8 had gone down with the Negh'var, scoring would be 100 - 14 - 10 = 76 pts.

By moving Martok8 out of the Sideboard you end up keeping him alive and in play, thus deny points from your opponent.

Like has been pointed out, keeping him on the Sideboard takes him out of play & has the same net result as him going down with his ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.