BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Looking for a heroquest-style game for three little girls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's cut to the chase:
I have Heroquest, but I can't play it with them due to the characters. However, they did enjoy the Dungeons and Dragons Heroes of Hesoid print and play game from the Wizards website.
I was considering Mice and Mystics, but to be honest that's over my budget by a lot. Suggestions, anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's over your budget... But Mice and Mystics.

Its a well written storybook where you play heroes. You defeat the bad guys and drive them off instead of killing them for the most part.

Why can't you use Heroquest with them? What's wrong with the characters, just cause they are all male? Sub in a few female action figures, or buy some female reaper minis for them. (The expansions had female elves and barbarians as well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon! has female and male versions of all the classes and is only about $20. More simplistic than Heroquest though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you clarify a bit on what is objectionable (maybe who is objecting) about Heroquest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Castle Panic? $23, has a medieval theme and is cooperative. Its a little light but fun for all.

I also agree with Dungeon! Check out the downloads tab for additional play variants:Lost Heroes which includes Quests for each character and Hero Points that can be spent to perform Unique Character Skills. (Credit to rblyell for posting that content.)

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1339/dungeon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Dungeon Plungin', another PNP game?

EDIT: Files are at http://www.oversoul-games.com/oversoul_download.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Reznor
msg tools
mb
Haven't played it, yet but Super Fantasy looks kinda cute and seems to be a really good dungeon crawler adults can enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sorry for not making myself clear. The objection is to the "scary" artwork present in Heroquest, otherwise I realise that it would be a perfect choice. This restriction sadly rules out Dungeon and Dungeons Plungin.

I'm really looking for a sequel of sorts to Heroes of Hesoid, as I thought that hit the nail on the head.

The Shader: I know what you mean about Mice and Mystics, it looks really good. I may default to it, but I'm just asking to see if there's something similar for a lower price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are In a rough spot. Most dungeon crawler games are going to have skeletons, and nasties.

mmmm... How about Super Dungeon Explore? Haven't played it but Tom Vassal liked it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Winslow
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could replace the Minis in Heroquest with something a bit less scary. like Meeples (Dndeeples are very cool), or let them pick out their on miniatures from your FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this one really counts as a dungeon crawler, but my family has had a lot of fun with Dungeon Raiders. It's very light and quick to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My girls love Super Dungeon Explore, but it's around the same budget as Mice and Mystics (on my wishlist). While I don't own M&M yet, it seems like SDE is a much simpler system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeswins wrote:
Maybe you could replace the Minis in Heroquest with something a bit less scary. like Meeples (Dndeeples are very cool), or let them pick out their on miniatures from your FLGS.

I was actually going to suggest this.

You can also get "Cardboard Heroes," or something like that, for much cheaper than actual cast miniature. You cut them out and stand them up. I'm sure they don't all fit the bill, but you should find enough non-scary ones in there to suit your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LEGO Heroica. No longer produced but you can still get them in some stores. I found them to be an awesome light Heroquest perfect for my daughter who was 4 at the time. She's now 6 and still loves them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Amato
Italy
Rozzano
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
Hero Kids is a really nice RPG that is thought for children.

It is a print & play and it will take some effort to build it but i think it is great for chhildren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GilvanBlight wrote:
LEGO Heroica. No longer produced but you can still get them in some stores. I found them to be an awesome light Heroquest perfect for my daughter who was 4 at the time. She's now 6 and still loves them.

draghetto wrote:

It is a print & play and it will take some effort to build it but i think it is great for chhildren

Thank You. I think you have both given me some very viable solutions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

A little late to the party here, but I third the motion for using HeroQuest and just replacing the mins.

Have they seen the game's contents? If not, simply rebox them into a "friendlier" looking box and replace the minis and any other necessary contents..

If your money is tight, work with what you have. Look at this as a "re-skinning" project for a game that's more or less exactly what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pancoast
United States
Lake Ann
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draghetto wrote:

I second Hero Kids! It's very well done! And at a great price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just published a review of what I play with my girls:

Mice & Mystics

My girls are 3, 6, and 37
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Miller
United States
Machesney Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sons are 7 and 9 and love Hero Kids, it's nice because the maps and character/npc stand ups can be reused or repurposed for other adventures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brozik
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Buffy The Vampire Slayer has adventure/co-op elements, and is a solid game considering the license

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a month or two, save your money, buy Mice and Mystics.

It's THAT awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) (or Relic)

Fantastic retro adventure game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the artwork on heroquest is too scary for his kids, I think Relic would not be a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.