Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a trade with a BGG member recently. I recieved the package he sent. I sent my package via USPS with tracking. The tracking says it arrived on 12/24 but he never got it.

How should I proceed? How should the other guy proceed? The package was insured for $50 but I don't know how hard it is to do a claim with the post office. If the post office refuses the claim based on the fact that the tracking shows as "delivered" then who is responsible?

I don't have any reason to mistrust the other BGG member but it seems like it would be an easy scam if one were so inclined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the USPS requires that all insured packages must be signed for by the recipient to be delivered. So, unless the USPS screwed up and didn't collect a signature it's hard to tell what may have happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven James
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
I believe the USPS requires that all insured packages must be signed for by the recipient to be delivered. So, unless the USPS screwed up and didn't collect a signature it's hard to tell what may have happened.

Priority comes with insurance and doesn't require signatures, at least not that I have ever dealt with.

And as far as going through a claim, I remember it being an easy process, just takes a little time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Dove wrote:
I don't have any reason to mistrust the other BGG member but it seems like it would be an easy scam if one were so inclined.

hopefully you checked their trading feedback... I also like to check their bgg marketplace feedback if any, and if there isn't much info in those places I check their "contributions", see if they've got geek buddies, given/received thumbs etc... bonus if they've got at least one supporter badge.

i'd also look carefully at the tracking info, these days it gives a detailed timestamp of when it was "delivered"... small enough town you may even be able to contact the destination post office and have them ask the carrier that delivered the package if they remember where they left it, etc, assuming this was very recent. hopefully the package didn't end up in a snow bank not to be found until spring....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
I believe the USPS requires that all insured packages must be signed for by the recipient to be delivered.

I don't think that is at all true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thunkd wrote:
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
I believe the USPS requires that all insured packages must be signed for by the recipient to be delivered.

I don't think that is at all true.

I don't think so either. I get Priority Mail packages all the time and they never ask for a signature, the mailman just leaves it on the front step or puts it in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SmellyTie wrote:
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Priority comes with insurance and doesn't require signatures, at least not that I have ever dealt with.

And as far as going through a claim, I remember it being an easy process, just takes a little time.

Yep, looks like it's an extra step to request a return receipt. Strange to allow insurance with no way to verify if the recipient ever actually received the package...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been having a terrible time with the Post Office not actually delivering our packages, and Sam recently researched this. The receiver can go to their post office and file a claim; they have to sign an affidavit saying that they did not receive it. I think they'll need your sending address and the tracking number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Well, you get insurance and tracking for a reason, and this is the reason. Give him the insurance # and let him deal with the USPS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
We've been having a terrible time with the Post Office not actually delivering our packages

We had a letter carrier for a number of years (named "Gil") who didn't deliver all our mail. We didn't find a way to successfully address this, so we got a P.O. Box. Now we have a different letter carrier. My wife mentioned to her that we got a P.O. Box because the former letter carrier didn't deliver our mail, and she immediately said, "oh, you had Gil." So it appears to be an issue that occasionally crops up.

You might want to consider the P.O. Box solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Middletown, NY post office is terrible all around, and it would be worse to have to stand in the long lines and deal with the people there to pick up packages delivered to a PO Box. We drive ~6 miles to another town to mail packages most of the time, and in a few years if we look for a house, will try to get one in a different zip code.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
We've been having a terrible time with the Post Office not actually delivering our packages

We had a letter carrier for a number of years (named "Gil") who didn't deliver all our mail. We didn't find a way to successfully address this, so we got a P.O. Box. Now we have a different letter carrier. My wife mentioned to her that we got a P.O. Box because the former letter carrier didn't deliver our mail, and she immediately said, "oh, you had Gil." So it appears to be an issue that occasionally crops up.

You might want to consider the P.O. Box solution.

We've had exactly the same problem here.

First our carrier would just leave stacks of boxes outside our door without even bothering to ring our bell. Mind you that's something I never minded in the suburbs, but now we're in the middle of NYC, on a commercial street where literally hundreds pass an hour, and he was even leaving them on the sidewalk in the pouring rain with no protection from the elements.

After repeated complaints that finally stopped… along with all package deliveries altogether. zombie

The vindictive @#$%ers response was to stop even taking our packages out for delivery and just leaving them at the post office until they would eventually be returned to sender. (under the presumption of failed attempts that were never even being made)

If it wasn't for Amazon we would have never even known what was happening. Their system is now so automated that we received an email telling us that "your carrier attempted delivery earlier today, but since no one answered a notice has been left which you can use to claim your package at your local post office". Except that Saturday we were sitting in our apartment all day. No doorbell rang. No notice left. angry

Now we have to route ALL our USPS and SmartPost deliveries to my wife's office. Thanks USPS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, you can get a P.O. Box in a different town than where you live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
The vindictive @#$%ers response was to stop even taking our packages out for delivery and just leaving them at the post office until they would eventually be returned to sender.

You can tell that the Post Office's response to the internet competition that is slowly killing them is to raise their service level and fight for business. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PO Box in another town - That might be something to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the comments. The other BGG member went to his post office and they found it sitting in a back room apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.