Subject: Strategy for 5-6 people rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rune m
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
Hi!

We are a group of mid-twenties students/young professionels who LOVED the Game of Thrones board game, and are looking for a new strategy game to play.

The only real criteria is that it must play 5-6 players, and if its a deep strategy game its a plus.

Besides GoT we've played King of Tokyo.
Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb

Dominant Species
Keyflower
Eketorp
Bootleggers
7 Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try Rex: Final Days of an Empire. If you've played AGOT, you know you how to cheat to win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dominant Species
+1 Keyflower

El Grande Poster child for 5 Players
Power Grid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune m
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
Wow that was a lot of answers very quickly, thank you guys!

gaseki wrote:
I would try Rex: Final Days of an Empire. If you've played AGOT, you know you how to cheat to win

It looks a bit like twilight emperium. Do you know how the two compare?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Höllviken
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also take a look at

Here I Stand
Virgin Queen

Deep strategy, but maybe too long. But do take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune m
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
swedgamer wrote:
You could also take a look at

Here I Stand
Virgin Queen

Deep strategy, but maybe too long. But do take a look.

I think I am too new to board games and may have over extended myself when I said "deep" strategy games. Thanks though!

Can anyone reccomend Battlestar Galatica or Cosmic Encounters? Thoes are two that I had personally been looking at.
The traitor element in Battlestar is especially nice, but can you enjoy the game without having seen the show?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial 2030

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krosh wrote:
Can anyone reccomend Battlestar Galatica or Cosmic Encounters? Thoes are two that I had personally been looking at.
The traitor element in Battlestar is especially nice, but can you enjoy the game without having seen the show?

I hadn't seen BSG before I played the game, and I've still only seen about 1.5 seasons. I've played the game (plus all expansions) somewhere around 250 times. Obviously, the game was a huge hit in our group. We love the interaction in it, and still play it regularly.

If your group likes the alliance/backstabbing part of GoT, you might consider looking into Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery + Spartacus: The Serpents and the Wolf Expansion Set (increases max players from 4 to 6). You control a stable of gladiators, play schemes to gain influence or reduce the influence of your opponents, and occasionally send your gladiators into the arena to fight. Bribery is encouraged, as is backstabbing at particularly opportune times (promises are all non-binding).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Roffey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think I am too new to board games and may have over extended myself when I said "deep" strategy games. Thanks though!

Both games are excellent, though not exactly deep. Battlestar is lot's of fun, and I've never seen the show so that's definitely not needed.

Cosmic encounter is just a wild ball of chaos, very little strategy, but still heaps of fun. If you're looking for deep games, Keyflower and Dominant Species are both excellent.

Rex is very similar to AGOT, and completely different from Twilight Imperium. If you have the 6-8 hours, I can't recommend Twilight Imperium enough, but be warned it is unlike any other game out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Roffey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, Eclipse. Lot's of fun, has lots of strategy, then there is a giant dice fest at the end as everyone scrambles for the final 2-3 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune m
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools

I will try out Keyflower and Spartacus. Recently I also discovered The Resistance which sounds like a lot of fun, so I think I'll be aquiring that aswell.

Jesus there's alot of awesome games out there, I had no knowledeg about "offline gaming" before I found BGG, so this is all new.

Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys are really helpful. And thanks for ruining my budget with all these game suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Roffey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're interested in Resistance, look at The Resistance: Avalon and One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Both can be played with a normal deck of cards, but they have more interesting roles and variants than vanilla resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) w/ Shattered Empire expansion - Um, only the grand-daddy of them all.

Struggle of Empires - I once played this with a guy who loved AGoT The Board Game. After it was over, I asked him what he thought and he said, "I can't believe it, but I actually like it more than A Game of Thrones." So there's that. And I agree with him. It's brilliant with 7, and still amazing with 5 or 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dominant Species (this would be my #1)
+1 Power Grid

Also recommend

(up to 6 players)

Catan(need the 5-6 player expansion) and it gets even better with Catan: Cities & Knights or Catan: Traders & Barbarians

Chicago Express

(up to 5 players)

The Princes of Florence
Agricola
Navegador
Caylus
Santiago

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaseki wrote:

It looks a bit like twilight imperium. Do you know how the two compare?[/q]
It has it's looks, because it's set in the same world - within the timeline it's before TI. As to gameplay - it's a retheme for Dune. The objective is to control certain amount of strongholds on the board. I have to say it's quite good, the battles can be won by using a traitor card on your opponent, there are (limited) alliances and some factions have quite interesting special victory condition (not to mention the traitor cards for when you win as an alliance)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar is very popular with some members of our group, and avoided like the XO when drunk by the others. There is an overlap between the Battlestar players and the GoT fans, but beware that some of your group might find it a long non-event. And as has been already mentioned, although not trivial or filler material it's not a "deep" game by any means.

The long boring games (the best type) I like that play with 6 are Power Grid (more competition in the auction and on the board), both versions of Imperial, Union Pacific /Airlines, Outpost (plays well with any number), Antike and that's it. I've not tried Keyflower with 6, it might be too difficult to track what the other players have and are doing to play properly. A number of Martin Wallace games play well with 6, but I don't want to list them here without knowing their availability.

There is a definite shortage of heavy 6-player games which doesn't seem to be getting any attention from designers, with a large group you can get round this by breaking into 4 and 5-player games, but 6 is a real problem for choice of longer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wong
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Chicago Express!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Kriener
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna: The Cave Farmers could be THE game for your group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is great for 5 or 6! It has strategy, but is more Ameritrash than Euro. A lot of Cosmic is negotiating and using alien's power to their fullest. Your hand of cards is quite random, but reading people and hand management becomes key for victory. I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
krosh wrote:

Yes, you can enjoy it without seeing the show (most players in our group had not) and only knowing the premise: "We built the Cylons. They rebelled and decimated us, now we're running from them looking for new home. Btw, now they can look like us."

Note that Galactica is not only a traitor hunt (especially with the expansions), there is a very large portion of resource management and choosing the lesser evil. The expansions also bring variety and can adjust the game depending on how exactly the game is played in your group. Best number of players is 5, but you can learn the game with 3. 6 is also good, with 4 players you better have the Pegasus or (better) Daybreak expansion. But always start with just the base game first.

One of the great things (apart from the hidden traitor) is the unique characters and their special skills and weaknesses. There are countless combinations, even the base game is never the same.

(We play our normal setup: all expansions to Kobol in 2-2.5 hours on average. You can check the play logs in my collection for some short stories about our games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World (the base-game Eastern US map, but also the Western US map, and a bunch of the fan-made maps) is fantastic for 5-6. Plenty of strategy, an intuitive ruleset, and a very pretty game. No diplomacy involved, though.

If you want diplomatic aspects, a huge +1 to Here I Stand. Yes, it's a long game, and it needs all six players, and the rules are 40 pages long, but it's my favorite way to spend a gaming day, and it's very understandable after your first session. I would avoid Virgin Queen, though... it's more complex, less direct, and though it supports 4-5 players, adds yet more rules to do so.

In a similar vein, but a bit shorter and a lot more corrupt, Republic of Rome is an excellent game where the rules work to destabilize Rome, and the players have to balance keeping Rome alive and profiting personally.

Regarding BSG, if you don't roleplay the characters at all, I'd say it's long for what it is (largely, The Resistance with dice and a bucketful of chrome). If Tigh takes a shot every time he makes a decision, everyone swears like a sailor, and Baltar flirts with everyone with boobs, it'll be a fun three hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.