Rodrigo Alvarez
Spain
Gijon
Asturias
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

In my playgroup we like RoR. We like starting a game a lot, dealing with punic wars, exiling too powerful senators, etc. The mechanics make this game very very thematic, the same that happens in Avalon Hill's Civ. The problem in Civ is that it's too long.

The issue here though, is that somehow the endgame is not right. The game is a pleasant experience but up to a point. Do you have the same feeling? How can we avoid that?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I agree to some extent. My concern is that there's no incentive to be a good citizen. Nobody would behave like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnatus in this game, but plenty of the leading men of Rome willingly gave up top jobs prior to Julius Caesar.

I would like to see some emphasis added to the "cooperation" and less on the "competition" aspects of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Lamy
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which version of the game did you try. The Avalon Hill version have a tendency to have everybody kill each other at the end. The Valley game version and the living rule provide a kill card mechanics that stop the game in the forum phase.

Since the exact timing of the kill card is unknown the game have a happier ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Japan
Fujisawa
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that in a game of Republic of Rome, sometimes, it's very very hard to feel the love.kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Besides the Valley end condition, well, play the Early Republic; there's a lot more "we must hang together" cooperation in there.

More radically, change the victory conditions such that the fall of the Republic (including to a returning general) is a loss, but someone else becoming Consul for Life is a draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Alvarez
Spain
Gijon
Asturias
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anthares wrote:
Which version of the game did you try. The Avalon Hill version have a tendency to have everybody kill each other at the end. The Valley game version and the living rule provide a kill card mechanics that stop the game in the forum phase.

Since the exact timing of the kill card is unknown the game have a happier ending.

I have to check that out then.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tisdel
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
The Man with the Pointy Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how the Republic fell, not just Julius but the loss of "Republican Virtue" prior to his ascent and the subsequent periods of the Triumvirates, I think the game does a good job of reflecting this. In that respect, the endgame is when the knives finally come out and the factions make their move to become Dictator for Life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I agree the end of the late republic is well represented, but even as late as Sulla leading figures would retire from public life and allow the republic to continue intact.

Perhaps the bar for "consul-for-life" could be set higher in the early and mid republic scenarios, just like the "march on Rome" bar is set higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
slashing wrote:
I agree the end of the late republic is well represented, but even as late as Sulla leading figures would retire from public life and allow the republic to continue intact.

That could partly be represented by not viewing all Death chits as, well, death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:

Perhaps the bar for "consul-for-life" could be set higher in the early and mid republic scenarios, just like the "march on Rome" bar is set higher.

The Living Rules also have optional rules for aging Senators that can retire when they get to a certain age. They lose all of their markers, including Influence, but they get to record half of the Influence loss as a bonus to their end game scoring. It's a good simulation of selfless citizens. You benefit from playing the long game of state survival rather than sudden death power grabs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Alvarez
Spain
Gijon
Asturias
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AxleKerrigan wrote:
slashing wrote:

The Living Rules also have optional rules for aging Senators that can retire when they get to a certain age. They lose all of their markers, including Influence, but they get to record half of the Influence loss as a bonus to their end game scoring. It's a good simulation of selfless citizens. You benefit from playing the long game of state survival rather than sudden death power grabs.

I can't find that in the living rules 1.04 posted here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Alvarez
Spain
Gijon
Asturias
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I found this http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/54403/republic-of-rome...

Although the rules are the AH ones. I don't know how compatible they are with the VG version, which is the one I have. What do you recommend? I want the game "fixed", since it has loads of potential laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Papipo wrote:
Ah, I found this http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/54403/republic-of-rome...

Although the rules are the AH ones. I don't know how compatible they are with the VG version, which is the one I have. What do you recommend? I want the game "fixed", since it has loads of potential laugh

I use the Living Rules V1.04 for my Valley Games Edition, with the addition of the Aging Senators and Retiring Senators rules from RoRRulebookV216. You shouldn't run into any compatibility issues that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.