Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK so I want to upload a proto scenario to the geek and want to use some images from the game, who's permission do I need for this. Things I am using are the four discovery tokens, book icon, a scenario build card etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say just do it. If you are not making money from it, it seems that the publisher has a history of endorsing such things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, you got to get permission first, if you don't want to get into dangerous waters!

There is a big difference between allowing people who request permission to upload such things and condoning the uploads of people who did not ask.
The latter can set precedent, and I for one would urge any publisher to at least force people who did so without permission to take it down again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
So who do I ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, write to Portal Games concerning this.
Either Ignacy or Lukasz will answer you, I'd guess.
Thing is, either they hold all the rights to the artwork, anyways, or they know who does (probably the artist, then).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't selling it so just do it. They released a blank scenario template. They want people to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a huge difference between using the blank scenario and card templates provided, and using additional artwork. Which is what I understood was asked about here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I even asked Ignacy if I was allowed to use the female soldier as my avatar.
And quite a few other geeks already uploaded files with Robinson-scenarios and they all have the various "game icons" in them. Don´t know if everybody asked Ignacy before.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maho, if we are nitpicky, then yes, the Icons are a problem, as well.
But I don't think that necessary iconography is something to be contemplated. After all, as Bob pointed out, the publisher has provided the templates to create scenarios/cards, so input is encouraged. And to do this, game iconography is really a necessity.

Using images, graphics or drawings in a fan contribution is, however, another matter...

And I wouldn't worry too much about the avatar thing, although you were right to ask. Technically, what I do with my avatar is illegal (using an image without consent), but usually, avatars are so insignificant that most do not care about that.
...although I really would like to ask the artist's consent, if only I could remember her name...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

And I wouldn't worry too much about the avatar thing, although you were right to ask. Technically, what I do with my avatar is illegal (using an image without consent), but usually, avatars are so insignificant that most do not care about that.

But then it seems like its a discussion if this is a matter that is significant enough to care about...
I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get your post, anduin. Sorry. Would like to answer, but am just not sure what you mean...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well i have submitted a scenario file which should hopefully appear soon. i checked the 'have consent' box with a note stating that the publishers have released the template and invited contributions.

i have used the template as well as the dice icons and a few others, but no 'artwork' per-say.
Dumon i shall email this copy to you now, i think you will agree it is within grounds of the template and invitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the publishers were smart, they would have used CC-BY-NC license or such, which allows people to modify and reuse components as much as they want provided it's non-commercial.

Since next to no game publisher is smart, license-wise, I say pirate away. Legally, what you are proposing is no different then torrenting a movie, but practically, we know it is - and most game publishers are ok with their customers being "pirates". Annoying, but that's the world we live in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not pirating if you ask permission first.
And my experience is that most publishers are okay with it, as long as copyrights are kept, and you do not sell your creations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.