Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J-P Latvala
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I played yesterday my first f2f game and few questions came up. Some of those I already found an answer after reading these posts, but few still needs more details.

- Campaign Cards: Are those available again on upcoming turns after used? Rules say those are discarded, so for example if I play VA Campaign on Summer '62 can I play it again on lets say Spring '63? Or is it 'one time use' only? We played it like those are available on next turn also. My friend was thinking if we played it right.

- Red Year markings on cards: Are those only for information? Or are those limiting that those events can be played that year or later? For example CS Card #4 James Seddon, there is '63 on the right side of the cards. I don't remember reading about those red year markings in the rulebook.

- CS Card #40 Lewis A. Armistead:
Event: Needed Reinforcements!
'Any adjacent friendly force may reinforce this battle.'

Adjacent to what? Is it adjacent to battle hex? Or adjacent to attacking army? In our game Stonewall Jackson was OOS and CS GiC came to the rescue with major army and attacked supply blocking US major army. That card was played and Jackson's major army came as reinforcement to that battle and as you may suspect those two major armies had huge victory against blocking US army. We played it that it was adjacent to battle hex, but this event needs some more info. 'Needed Reinforcements!' can be very devastating!

- Victory Point Table:
Control of Southern Ports: there is a line that says "? VP supply value of an unblockaded and unoccupied Southern port."
How this should be calculated? Is it 1VP per supply value for every Southern city (not blockaded or occupied by the US)? For exmaple, if Charleston is not blockaded and is free of enemy forces it awards 3VP to CS at the end of the game? We played it that way and CS received 12VP's and US 6 VP's for blockades. This really was a game changer.
Or does it award 2VP (like '2VP per 3 supply city' on that table few rows earlier)?
If the first one: are those cumulative with that '2VP per 3 supply city'?
If so, then Charlton is 5VPs to CS if controlled and 3VP's to US(2VP for 3 supply city and 1VP for blockaded or controlled southern port) if US contolled.

How about if CS controls lets say Pittsburgh at the end? According to that table Pittsburgh (like any other US city) awards no VP's.

- Two neutral cities in Missouri: I think those are just like any other cities but neither controls them at first. If US (or CS) attacks them they award 1 CP and after conquered can be used as supply point..? I think there was something in the rulebook according to these, but couldn't find it anymore when needed to be sure.

We played Medium-Lenght game (5 turns) and it took us like 11 hours to play it. Of course there were breaks and lots of checking the rules and I also had to teach the rules to my friend which took some time. My opponent isn't the fastest player (slow as snail I should say ) but thing that matters we had a great time. He also succeeded to assassinate Lincoln, I made my revenge assassinating his GiC the next turn. We both want to play it more and next time the game will be much different as we know much better where VP's are awarded and what to do with your best generals. (at least I know as Grant and Lyon was almost all game long in the middle of nowhere (conquered Springfield and Neosho, yeah... I know, very lousy idea) and also not reachable by rail movement.

EDIT:
Playing the card:
Some actions need 10 PC's to be available (amphibious attack, assassination card, campaign card). Is there some kind of order how to play those cards value? For example, if I have 9 PC's and I play card (value 5). Can i first put 4 PC's on PC track and then, when I have 13 PC's available and I am capable of amphibious attack, activate general (activation 1) to make the amphibious attack?
Also important when player has Zero PC's and he can't make attack or advance (and some other actions). We played it like we had to make general activation first and after that we could bank the rest of the value to PC track. Otherwise 'Zero PC effects' could have been very easily avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign cards are always available for each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-P Latvala
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
The Campaign cards are always available for each turn.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
J-P,

cards with red year markings can be removed and inserted on their date as an option (see optional rules). Just another way to create extra flavor. It does not have to be done.

The card in question means reinforcing from a hex adjacent to the battle.

Control of southern ports refers to Ocean ports - ports which can be blockaded, not river ports.

Regarding control of Pittsburg by the South or any other Northern city at the end of the game, no VPs for the rebel player. Once upon a time there was, but in the end we all agreed that the Civil War was not necessarily one of Southern aggression but one of defense so although the Confederate player reaps temporary rewards during the game for such action. We do not reward VPs at the end of the game for it.

Neutral cities in Kentucky and Missouri do not need to be attacked, simply moved into. They welcome whomever marches in. Well ... in Kentucky's case they do until the invader's card turn is over, at which point the remaining Kentucky cities immediately gain the other player's garrison markers. In Missouri, neutral cities remain neutral until occupied by one player or the other. They remain loyal to the side that moved in first - until captured by the other side.

Regarding the 10 PC requirement: As long as you can bank enough to make the required 10 before doing your intended amphibious attack, you can bank first and make your attack in the same turn. Tossing a seditionist or playing a campaign however requires you to have the 10 PC on hand ahead of time, since they do not afford you the opportunity to boost your PC before taking your action.

As far as "0" PCs, you can play it the way you did, but you don't have to. Yes it is easy to escape the "No Offense" penalty by paying it down, but you have to have the cards to do it and if you are sitting at "0" PC, it really does behoove you to tend to your political cache before crossing swords with the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Please confirm that neutral Missouri cities do grant 1 PC for capture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.