Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a gateway (or gateway+), resource-conversion game that plays well with two (primarily) and more.

I like the idea of Le Havre -- I do not own the game -- in which players have ample freedom in grabbing resources and converting them to other resources/buildings. I guess I'm drawn to the mechanic of trading this for that all while building an economic engine. However, the long-ish playing time and game weight of 3.7 deter me from purchasing this title. I do have Stone Age, but resources in that game are more or less interchangeable.

As you can see, I own mostly gateway games (e.g., Carc, TTR, Pandemic), so I'd like something that fits right into my collection.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Havana might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass Road is one of Uwe's latest offerings and is a much lighter than Le Havre and Agricola. I'm very fond of it. The 2P game is very good.

At the Gates of Loyang is also another good 2P game by Uwe. There isn't quite as much goods conversion, but it's still a very good game.

I don't know if Lewis & Clark has started showing up in the US yet, but it's a really cool mix of goods/time management embedded in a race.

You could also consider Targi as a middleweight worker placement/set collection/resource trading game. It's 2P only and a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
Australia
Austinmer
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Homesteaders. Similar mechanic as Le Havre in that you purchase various buildings that let you gain and convert resources into better resources. There is a simple auction mechanic with a variant that works well enough for 2 players. Might be just a step above a gateway game, but definitely less intimidating than Le Havre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a peek at Neuland. You can usually score a used copy pretty cheaply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you'd like Fresco (game weight 2.6)?

Players collect resources in paints of specific colors. Later, they can mix base colors for more rare colors that can be used to restore the Fresco painting.

Fresco comes with expansion modules 1-3. Additional modules 4-10 can be added in order to add complexity and depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
ContainerJones wrote:
Take a peek at Neuland. You can usually score a used copy pretty cheaply.

Neuland is a pretty heavy game (BGG weight 3.7). Planning out all your actions in Neuland is some serious brainburn, so I wouldn't consider it a gateway.

(But it is a decent game...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your input. I've been looking at Santiago de Cuba, which apparently is a simplified cousin of Cuba and Havana. Santiago plays well with two, and I read that it's quite accessible. Thoughts?

Homesteaders is another game I've been thinking about, but it seems to be out of print, and the ones selling on Amazon are over USD 70. I could contact Quined about their Master Print version, but the shipping from the Netherlands might make it too costly. I do have a minor reservation about the theme: I understand food, steel, and wood production, but what exactly is a “trade token” thematically? What does it mean for a building to produce a “trade token”? I remember reading in a designer diary that this was made part of the game because of balancing issues. Again, this is a minor reservation, and I love how tight and streamlined the game is. I think one or two reviewers mentioned how it actually does feel like you're building a city, which is great.

Fresco's on my wishlist. Didn't peg it as a resource-conversion game, but I can see how it can be seen as such. I'll check out rahdo's run-through.

I'll need to look into the other games mentioned. Thank you for all the great recommendations so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tan
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan from Dice Tower did a video review on Tahiti, check them out you might like it. And there he also reviewed Cinque Terre, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in Fresco I would give it a try.
If you add in the module with the pink and brown paints there is a fair amount of planning needed in order to get the right colors to paint specific fresco tiles.
You also need to plan when you are going to get up which determines the order in which you play. This has a big impact on buying paints, if you really need a paint color you need to get up early, but then you pay a lot more for the paints.
Great game that definitely fits the level of complexity you are looking for.
I mostly play games with my family and my 8 and 11 year olds have picked up this game easily and it is one my wife really enjoys.

I haven't played Le Havre: The Inland Port but it is a streamlined 2p version of Le Havre. We do own Uwe's other 2p game Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small and it has been a huge hit in our house.

Good luck and happy gaming,
Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.