Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Sigismundus Augustus: Dei gratia rex Poloniae» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Questions arising from first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following are the initial questions we had from our first play of the game.

If we are reading the rules correctly the Nobles are represented on the Board by the Cup and the Magnates by the Sword.If that is the case there is an error in the related cards as the Magnates card shows a cup on it and the Noble card has the sword symbol.

Timing of cards we are unsure as to the timing sequence on a couple of the Senatorial cards namely:

No 8 presumably it is used during the Foreign policy phase but at what point for example is it before the Royal Representative chooses which neighboring country to turn to its crown side and if not at what other point in that phase can you take the action.

No 11 Again in what phase can you use this ability we played it that it must be used during the income phase but again the timing is an issue. Must you use it during your turn in this phase.If for example you are first player and nobody has any income in their pool at that point do you lose the action or can you still claim the Ducat when they have received their basic income for the turn.

Does each player have to put either Ducats or Votes into their hand during the bribery phase or can they put nothing at all if they so wish.

Many thanks in advance for clarification on these issues.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Zuchowski
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jopm wrote:
If we are reading the rules correctly the Nobles are represented on the Board by the Cup and the Magnates by the Sword.If that is the case there is an error in the related cards as the Magnates card shows a cup on it and the Noble card has the sword symbol.


Nobles = Sword
Magnates = Cup

jopm wrote:
No 8 presumably it is used during the Foreign policy phase but at what point for example is it before the Royal Representative chooses which neighboring country to turn to its crown side and if not at what other point in that phase can you take the action.

No 11 Again in what phase can you use this ability we played it that it must be used during the income phase but again the timing is an issue. Must you use it during your turn in this phase.If for example you are first player and nobody has any income in their pool at that point do you lose the action or can you still claim the Ducat when they have received their basic income for the turn.


Playing a card is a special action. You play cards during the "special actions" phase (phase 4 of the round) and apply the effects.

jopm wrote:
Does each player have to put either Ducats or Votes into their hand during the bribery phase or can they put nothing at all if they so wish.


You can put nothing if you wish to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the prompt response and this follow on post is to check that our understanding is now correct.

Unless we have missed it the board does not clearly indicate which is the Senatorial support track or which is the parliamentary support track.

As the nobles feast action is marked on the board by the cup symbol we assumed that the left track was for the nobles and therefore nobles moved on the senatorial track as that is the track that moves when you take that action. From you response that appears not be the case.

If I now understand it correctly the magnates are associated with the cup track which is the senatorial track. Similarly the nobles are associated with the sword symbol and move on the right hand track known as the Parliamentary support track. If that is correct then perhaps it would make more sense for us to refer to the nobles feast as the magnates feast to avoid confusion.

From your response it would seem that abilities on Senatorial office cards must be taken during the special action phase. The rule states "a special action is playing one of the Policy cards or using the ability of ecclesiastical courts hence our confusion about using the abilities on other Senatorial cards.

In that case I would like to go through a no of specific examples:

No 11 Supremus Thesaurarius

This is therefore used during the special action phase to steal 1 ducat from another player and constitutes your special action for the turn

No 8 Vicecancellarius Regni Polanie

Similar to 8 you move one foreign country marker left or right as your special action for the turn.

No 5 Cancellarius.

How does this work in The special action phase as it allows you to spread influence which happens during the foreign policy phase.

No 14 Mareschalus Curiae.

Do you need to use a special action to get the vote from this office.

Thank you for your support of the forums.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Zuchowski
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jopm wrote:
Unless we have missed it the board does not clearly indicate which is the Senatorial support track or which is the parliamentary support track.


Parlimentary = nobles (sword)
Senatorial = magnates (cup)

jopm wrote:
As the nobles feast action is marked on the board by the cup symbol we assumed that the left track was for the nobles and therefore nobles moved on the senatorial track as that is the track that moves when you take that action. From you response that appears not be the case.


You're right. Noble's feast effect actually applies to the magnates' support track (senatorial). The problem is probably only a matter of the English translation of the rules.

jopm wrote:
If I now understand it correctly the magnates are associated with the cup track which is the senatorial track. Similarly the nobles are associated with the sword symbol and move on the right hand track known as the Parliamentary support track. If that is correct then perhaps it would make more sense for us to refer to the nobles feast as the magnates feast to avoid confusion.


Exactly.

jopm wrote:
From your response it would seem that abilities on Senatorial office cards must be taken during the special action phase. The rule states "a special action is playing one of the Policy cards or using the ability of ecclesiastical courts hence our confusion about using the abilities on other Senatorial cards.


No, no! As a special action you can use only the abilities of ecclesiastical (church) office cards (purple ones), which is quite clearly stated in the rules. The ability is marked with a star and only this ability is usable in the special actions phase. Other offices give you static bonuses applied in appropriate phases of a round.

jopm wrote:
No 11 Supremus Thesaurarius

This is therefore used during the special action phase to steal 1 ducat from another player and constitutes your special action for the turn


You use it in the income phase.

jopm wrote:
No 8 Vicecancellarius Regni Polanie

Similar to 8 you move one foreign country marker left or right as your special action for the turn.


At the beginning of the foreign policy phase.

jopm wrote:
No 5 Cancellarius.

How does this work in The special action phase as it allows you to spread influence which happens during the foreign policy phase.


It works in the foreign policy phase

jopm wrote:
No 14 Mareschalus Curiae.

Do you need to use a special action to get the vote from this office.


You get an extra vote for free at the beginning of the Sejm phase.

I hope I made it a bit clearer. If you have any more questions, have a closer look at the player aid cards - all the symbols on the cards are explained there. And feel free to ask here if you still need some clarification
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for getting back to me but could I now respectfully direct you back to my original question which was to do with the timing of using the non passive abilities on two of the senatorial offices.

Let me say my original understanding of when you use the abilities of senatorial cards was as you outlined in your most recent post that is in the appropriate phase eg the foreign policy phase for the playing of the Cancellarius ability.

My original question was about the timing of the use of these abilities but your response seemed to indicate that they were only available for use during the special action phase hence the follow on confusion.

So here is the original question:

I have senatorial card no 11 Supremus Thesaurauius and I want to use its ability to steal a coin during the income phase. Do I use it at the point where I am taking my action to claim my start of turn income or can I use it at any stage during the round. The point being if I am the first player and nobody else has any ducats then the timing of using its ability becomes important. If I have to use if when I am getting my own income then it is of no use to me as nobody else has any ducats at that time. If however I can use it at any stage during the phase there would be ducats to steal as players receive their income.

I have senatorial card no 8 VIcecancellarius which allows me to move the counter of a chosen neighbouring country one space to the left or right during the foreign policy phase. Again the question is when can I do this for example must I do it after the Royal Representative turns one of the markers to its crown side or before he does that. If the timing is after the turning of the marker to its crown side can I do it any point during the phase eg when I have seen what everyone else has done or must I do it when it is my turn to take a foreign policy action.

Again thanks for supporting the forums.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Zuchowski
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, sorry, it's really simple, but maybe I put it in a somehow confusing way

There are three types of senatorial office cards - ecclesiastical, ministerial and land offices. Only ecclesiastical offices are activated in the special actions phase (it's marked with a star). The remaining ones just work at a given moment of a round - that's clear.

11 Supremus Thesaurauius - you use it after all the players have collected their income.

8 Vicecancellarius - the Royal Representative always goes first. Then you may move the marker.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.