Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm not EXACTLY a new user anymore, but this seemed like the best place to ask a few questions about common courtesy.

1. If I have a general question about a game I am lightly considering (a question that may swing me one way or the other on purchasing it), should I post that on the game's page, or would that kind of thing clog up the forums too much?
2. What level of expertise is expected for the Board Game Design forums? I don't plan on posting anything there soon, but I want to know if I would even have anything to offer on that forum.

I want to contribute as much as I can to the community, not clog it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Feel free. You can also post in the Recommendations forum. The first will give you the most specific information on a game; the second will give you broader recommendations, including a number of people's favorite games that have zero relation to the game you have an interest in.whistle

2. No expertise at all. Sometimes designers are looking for player input. If designers just talk to designers, they can get into an information bubble that doesn't account for actual players.

Thanks for asking. You can always judge whether you're on the right track by whether you get thumbs--in the design forum, especially from the original poster. (Click the number of thumbs to see who did what.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that posting pretty much anything into the forum for the specific game will attract mostly that game's fanbase. (See how I was nice and didn't say "fanboys"... except I just did, there. Maybe I'll be nicer next time.)

In any case, you're likely to get a slanted opinion of a game by posting in the game's own forum. The Recommendations forum would be the place I'd start. Basically...

"I'm considering game Abc and I like games Xyz and Pdq..."

You'll get all sorts of input, pretty much guaranteed. People here, including and possibly especially me, like to share their opinions about games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the designer forum question, but I definitely would post to the general Recommendations forum if you're on the fence about a specific game and especially if you're considering a few different titles or type of game. You won't get as many posters who are dedicated to the game and (as has been said) some "banging the same drum all time" recommendations you'll want to disregard. However, you'll also get some critical impressions of the game in question from users for whom the game didn't click. That's really important information to hear, I think, and information you're less likely to hear in the specific game's forum. Either the users have no reason to be there or can't be bothered with the blowback from the game's fans.

Hey, thanks so much for asking the questions, by the way! I'm all for welcoming new users but some do see problems when they join and immediately start conversations with no regard to listening to understand the customs and conversations of the site they've walked into. It's not a big deal (hey, we're talking about board games here), but a lot of silliness can sometimes be avoided if there is a measure of courtesy on all sides. No matter how long you've been here, good to have you here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.