Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The chart for random spaces in Non-player games can be biased if I understand it correctly.

When I hit a space that doesn't fit I travel down the chart. Lets say I have to find a random city. It is then heavily biased towards Neiva that it will hit in 1/3 rolls. This is because there are so many non city spaces before it. Cúcuta and Cali are 1/9, 4 others are 2/27 and rest is 1/27.

I guess this isn't intentional!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That bias exits in all COIN games, I assumed it was intentional, but not critical as the rules state that the players can agree to an equal chance die roll. I have often had this conversation in my solo games. I can never agree with myself so I stick with the chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The chart and map have to function for selecting a number of different types of candidates and so are not perfect for any, or at least not for all. Some biases are intentional, but you are right many are not.

If the city selection bothers, you can always use straight die rolls for an even chance among candidate cities. Number the cities 1 to 11; first roll designates low if 1-3, high if 4-6; second roll is then either 1-6 if low, 7-12 if high, with 12 meaning reroll both dice.

In AA, I kept the arrows a bit neater on the map. In A Distant Plain, I got less concerned with that and more particular about relative likelihoods like the one you mention. I have gone a touch further in that direction in Fire in the Lake. So there is a designer's learning process too!

Regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
The chart and map have to function for selecting a number of different types of candidates and so are not perfect for any, or at least not for all. Some biases are intentional, but you are right many are not.

If the city selection bothers, you can always use straight die rolls for an even chance among candidate cities. Number the cities 1 to 11; first roll designates low if 1-3, high if 4-6; second roll is then either 1-6 if low, 7-12 if high, with 12 meaning reroll both dice.

In AA, I kept the arrows a bit neater on the map. In A Distant Plain, I got less concerned with that and more particular about relative likelihoods like the one you mention. I have gone a touch further in that direction in Fire in the Lake. So there is a designer's learning process too!

Regards, Volko

Not sure if it will bother me. I just received my copy and set up for a 1 player game and noticed this. I could always create a randomizer that creates a permutation and pick the first there that matches. I just wanted to make sure that there was no obvious reason for it to be this way (Neiva a strategic point) but it seems to be more of a location thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the number of possible destination areas is less than or equal to 6 we usually just dice for it. That's often the case with cities.

Interesting observation though. I wonder if there is any advantage to be had from this nugget of information...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also nice to know the reason for the ADP randomiser being so much harder to follow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Blink
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could give this mobile-friendly randomizer a try. http://felipe1982.com/aa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
felipe1982 wrote:
You could give this mobile-friendly randomizer a try. http://felipe1982.com/aa

This is very useful, thanks for putting it up. I had to laugh, though, that the first space it offered me was Nieva!

I've definitely noticed a few other biases as well, like the pop 0 regions. It makes, I suppose, that the AI players other than Cartel would generally want to stay away from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.