Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Hypothetical challenge: Build a game collection from scratch for $150 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Morgan
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I am often thinking of how to best stretch my gaming dollars...so here's an underlying challenge.

Assume you own no games, have a regular gaming partner or two, and want to build a game collection with (a) variety and (b) replayability. What would you spend your money on?

(this is not a deal-hunting list - base prices, new or used, on ebay, average BGG marketplace, or amazon)

Build a list and keep track of the total. Assume no shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Morgan
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
1) Scrabble - Cheap copies abound, and great replayability. A classic staple. $15 on Amazon

2) Carcassonne - A great gateway game for less intense players, but really has a good feel and is, of course, fun. ~$30 used on BGG

3) Dominion - Brings good strategy , great variation, and deck-building to the collection. A bit of gateway game itself, too. ~$20 used on BGG

4) Hoopla - Every game collection needs a good party game, and this one is great. Everyone works on a team, too. ~$20 on BGG

5) Risk - Adds war, strategy, and egomania to your collection, in addition to the respect you get just for owning it. ~$25 on Amazon

6) Agricola - I would put Through the Ages here, but it would put me $10 over the limit. This brings a higher complexity, building, worker placement, and just more good fun to the collection. ~$40 on ebay

= $150

(Somehow I don't own Risk in real life...hmm...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ohiosierra wrote:
1) Scrabble - Cheap copies abound, and great replayability. A classic staple. $15 on Amazon

2) Carcassonne - A great gateway game for less intense players, but really has a good feel and is, of course, fun. ~$30 used on BGG

3) Dominion - Brings good strategy , great variation, and deck-building to the collection. A bit of gateway game itself, too. ~$20 used on BGG

4) Hoopla - Every game collection needs a good party game, and this one is great. Everyone works on a team, too. ~$20 on BGG

5) Risk - Adds war, strategy, and egomania to your collection, in addition to the respect you get just for owning it. ~$25 on Amazon

6) Agricola - I would put Through the Ages here, but it would put me $10 over the limit. This brings a higher complexity, building, worker placement, and just more good fun to the collection. ~$40 on ebay

= $150

(Somehow I don't own Risk in real life...hmm...)

I like this list a lot! Though I would probably swap out Carcassonne for Ticket to Ride (solely based on personal preference) and Dominion for Race for the Galaxy (because I think RftG provides more replayability in a single box than just the base Dominion set).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$40 From ArtsCow ($8 each) - Decktet Deck, Utopian Rummy, Balloon Cup, and two decks of 6 colors/suits that will let me play things like Schotten Totten, Parade, Bunte Runde, Botswana, etc.

$40 Agricola

$20 Castles of Burgundy

$20 Roll Through the Ages with Late Bronze

$12 bucket of colored cubes

$8 Catan Dice Game with Extra map

$5 dice (including d10s)

$1 deck of cards

Magnate 131 plays
Utopian Rummy 127 plays
Agricola 96 plays
Euchre 47 plays
Roll Through the Ages 32 plays
Schotten-Totten 24 plays
Castles of Burgundy 15 plays
Catan Dice 13 plays
Parade 9 plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thornhill
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Casual/Party Games

King of Tokyo $27
Dixit $21
Alhambra. $28

Card games:
Dominion. $30
Race for the Galaxy $24
Innovation $20

To play with the in-laws:
Ticket to Ride. $33

Auction:
Ra $23

Because it's awesome and totally worth the money:
Agricola. $43

Total: $241
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Thornhill wrote:

Casual/Party Games

King of Tokyo $27
Dixit $21
Alhambra. $28

Card games:
Dominion. $30
Race for the Galaxy $24
Innovation $20

Ticket to Ride. $33

Auction:
Ra $23

Agricola. $43

Total: $241

Only $91.00 over budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$50 Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
$50 Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro
$50 Heroscape Master Set: Battle for the Underdark

Total: $150

Done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre: Designer's Edition and...

ah, damn it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thornhill
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
White Knight wrote:
Tim Thornhill wrote:

Casual/Party Games

King of Tokyo $27
Dixit $21

Card game:
Race for the Galaxy $24

Ticket to Ride. $33

Agricola. $43

Total: $148

Only $91.00 over budget.

D'oh! I somehow read $250. Fixed it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders $35 new
Alhambra $33 new
Ticket to Ride: Europe $38 new
Stone Age $48 new

Total: $153

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. We didn’t Playtest this Either: $8 Amazon - Fun Party game

2. No Thanks!: $7 Miniature market - Playable with little instruction and supports decent number of players

3. 7 Wonders $34 miniature market - great easy game to get into (with some help from an icon cheat sheet) with high replay ability.

4. Android Netrunner base game only $26 (MM)- I played a TON of games with just the base set.

5. Pocket Battles $10 Miniature market - choose 1 of 3 sets for a quick, customizable, fun little war game.

6. Pandemic $27 miniature market - good co-op to help round out a collection

7. Mr. Jack Pocket $9 coolstuffinc - nice 2 person deduction game (I prefer it over the full sized Mr. Jack)

8. Small World $33 (CSI) - scales well, tons of combinations and light on the luck.

$154 (I think), so I jumped over the budget slightly.

On top of that, all of this could be condensed into a pretty small carrying case/storage option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Thornhill wrote:
White Knight wrote:
Tim Thornhill wrote:

Casual/Party Games

King of Tokyo $27
Dixit $21

Card game:
Race for the Galaxy $24

Ticket to Ride. $33

Agricola. $43

Total: $148

Only $91.00 over budget.

D'oh! I somehow read $250. Fixed it

Nice! And a good list too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite card game with tons of replayability
Race For the Galaxy $28
(add 5th and six player with TGS and RVI at $17 apiece)
(or add 5th player and board movement with AA for $18)

Role-playing, thematic, traitor, longer game
Battlestar Galactica $34
(expansions optional)

Worker placement with engine building and minimal blocking
The Manhattan Project and The Manhattan Project: Nations Expansion $38

If I had to cull my collection I would keep those three games first. My wife loves all three, but my friends love to play them as well.

With the rest of the budget I would go with an investing game that is easy to teach and play, but is fast and strategic Chicago Express $41, or the super-fun mix of deckbuilding, tableau building, drafting and action point allowance that is Core Worlds $32 (expansion if you can afford it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Is this as a starting point for a larger game collection or is it intended to be of this fixed size forever?

In other words, it is to expose you to lots of different game types or for maximum replayability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Taylor,

Some multi-player suggestions for your consideration. At our home these are played often (even when just two of us playing). Good luck!

Alhambra $27
Power Grid $29
Power Grid: The Robots $ 7
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar $39
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age $21
Pandemic $27
--------------------------
Total $150

Prices are from http://www.timewellspentgames.com, free shipping at $150.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White Knight wrote:
7 Wonders $35 new
Alhambra $33 new
Ticket to Ride: Europe $38 new
Stone Age $48 new

Total: $153

Nice selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how I would do it.

1. Build a time machine.
2. Travel one year forward in time and buy a sports almanac (cf. Back to the Future 2).
3. Return to your current timeline. Bet your $150 on the several games in the NFL playoffs, followed by other sporting events. This should multiply your $150 exponentially.
4. Buy all the games you want and worry about no budget.

Alternatively, if you can't build a time machine:

1. Guess an NFL team that will win.
2. Bet $150 on that team.
3. Get lucky.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you have unlimited money.
5. Buy all the games you want and worry about no budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Puerto Rico $29
Race for the Galaxy $22
Hansa Teutonica $34
Ghost Stories $32
The Princes of Florence $25
Hanabi $7

$149

edit: if you are not into auctions, swap out Prices of Florence for a train game like Railways of the World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some of my "10" ranked games, so I know they'd be replayable in my house.

The prices are today's actual or hypothetical prices from Cool Stuff or from Fun Again if Cool Stuff didn't list the item.

Carcassonne ($23.99)
The Castles of Burgundy ($26.99)
Power Grid ($28.99)
Macao ($28.99)
Catan Card Game ($18.00)
Race for the Galaxy ($22.99)
TOTAL $149.95

What's missing from this list are the two expansions for Carcassonne I'd like to have Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders and Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals.

What's also missing from the list are Saint Petersburg ($34.99) and Glory to Rome (I won't even discuss the Cool Stuff price for this one!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Here's how I would do it.

1. Build a time machine.
2. Travel one year forward in time and buy a sports almanac (cf. Back to the Future 2).
3. Return to your current timeline. Bet your $150 on the several games in the NFL playoffs, followed by other sporting events. This should multiply your $150 exponentially.
4. Buy all the games you want and worry about no budget.

Alternatively, if you can't build a time machine:

1. Guess an NFL team that will win.
2. Bet $150 on that team.
3. Get lucky.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you have unlimited money.
5. Buy all the games you want and worry about no budget.

Amazing. Is this how you built your game collection and/or fortune?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's a serious list, using CSI prices:

Survive - 27. Great gateway game. High confrontation, but somehow the cute meeples hide that.

The Resistance - 13. Boils down an entire genre (traitor games) into pure gaming potential. Minimum is five players; if you're gaming with less, replace with Coup.

Flash Point Fire Rescue - 27. Great coop with lots of replayability oweing to the dice rolls. Easier to expand than Pandemic (extra maps, characters, etc).

Manhattan Project - 33. Great worker placement with a neat (and well integrated theme). Fulfills the sort of brainy Euro spot.

Love Letter - 7. Very easy filler.

Let's see... that's 107. Need a decent ameritrash to fill it out, I think.

How about Nexus Ops for 40? Sort of an Axis and Allies lite (with updated/better mechanics).

There, that should be 147. Unless my math is off. So what the heck, throw in Win, Lose, or Banana for a buck.

I keep the extra 2 for putting together the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Okay, here's a serious list, using CSI prices:

Survive - 27. Great gateway game. High confrontation, but somehow the cute meeples hide that.

The Resistance - 13. Boils down an entire genre (traitor games) into pure gaming potential. Minimum is five players; if you're gaming with less, replace with Coup.

Flash Point Fire Rescue - 27. Great coop with lots of replayability oweing to the dice rolls. Easier to expand than Pandemic (extra maps, characters, etc).

Manhattan Project - 33. Great worker placement with a neat (and well integrated theme). Fulfills the sort of brainy Euro spot.

Love Letter - 7. Very easy filler.

Let's see... that's 107. Need a decent ameritrash to fill it out, I think.

How about Nexus Ops for 40? Sort of an Axis and Allies lite (with updated/better mechanics).

There, that should be 147. Unless my math is off. So what the heck, throw in Win, Lose, or Banana for a buck.

I keep the extra 2 for putting together the list.

Good list. +1 for The Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nowhere enough cheap game love! Here, I'll do it with a CSI cart. Nevermind, this is ridiculous. Hey, That's My Fish! and Sushi Go! are both out of stock at CSI? Is it because of the exclamation points!?

Edit: For the love of Pete, I was going to do it anyway, but Forbidden Island is OOS too. Remind me this thread is here in like 3 months when the post-Christmas restocks have all happened.

2nd Edit: I'll just do it anyway, pretending they're in stock.

Sushi Go! $9.99
Hey, That's My Fish $7.99
Forbidden Island $11.99
Coup $9.99 (also OOS...!)
The Resistance: Avalon $13.49 (Avalon is significantly better)
Love Letter $6.99
Hanabi $7.99 (OOS!)
Telestrations $24.49 (OOS...!)
And a -few- longer gateway / strategy games
Lords of Waterdeep $34.99 (OOS. Seriously...)
Qwirkle $21.49 (Yep. OOS. Not doing this on purpose.)

Looks like I came in -just- under... $149.40 I think.

Anyway, 10 really great games for $150 is hard to beat, although I think my tastes are much more party / gateway than the typical crowd here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
my disclaimer is that I'm coming at this from the point of view of a light gamer, who almost always plays with light gamers, family, kids and/or complete non-gamers. Anyway...

-Carcassonne: South Seas Best tile layer, with a new twist that makes it even more accessible for newcomers and more strategic for die-hards... best game update ever. $24 at CSI
-Excape The best push-your-luck dice game ever, unfortunately OOP. I'll say, about, $30 on ebay? Kinda blowing a disproportionate amount of the budget for this list on this small game, but, it really is worth it, if you can find it. Get Can't Stop if you can't find it, or need it to work with less than 3 players.
-King of Tokyo what can I say... it rocketed to the top of almost every family-game list for a reason. $28
-Citadels still the best role drafting game, imo $17
-Jaipur hands-down the best 2-player simple card game for couples to play together, with beautiful components, and can be banged out in a half hour or less $17
-Las Vegas great "party" dice game, that still playes fantastic with 2 players using the neutral dice variant $23.50
-3 extra sets of dice for Las Vegas, to add more players, and play the neutral dice variant with any number of players $10

= $149.50

Games that just missed the list...
The Resistance: Avalon left off just because it needs so many players. But if you want a party game, this is where you start.
Duplik the best "Pictionary replacement"... left off because of lack of re-playability due to the limited number of cards. Still an awesome game, and a must-buy, as the number of plays you get from it will still be high, and well worth the cost... just, not "infinitely replayable".
Dixit one of my favorite games, especially to play with non-gamers. Just left off the list because to make it almost-infinitely-replayable you'd need to get it and all expansions (which, I do, and so should you ), but, that would blow 2/3 of the budget for this list itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation $25 amazon
Bruges $49.73 amazon
Fairy Land $19.85 eBay
Takenoko $38.81 amazon
Friday $17.68 amazon

= 151.07

Whoa Suburbia is sky high right now.
R Eco is nuts too.
I wish for Vanuatu but that is high at near 50.
I wish for Great Heartland but I made other choices.

This was fun. Great thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.