United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been scouting a few sites but haven't found anything concrete as far as tips and tricks for deck building. If someone has links, I like to read. I'm chiefly talking about ratios of various spell types based on mage type, essential spells every mage should have in his book, etc. I don't mind copying decks, I did it in Magic, but if I had at least some basic guidance on the above, I can sit down and comb through my stuff with ease.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Borders
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with Andy. While you can get some inspiration from other people's builds, its only with experimenting that you will find what works best for you. I have seen builds that on paper did not seem very strong do exceptionally well in the hands of a particular player and not so well in the hands of others. My guess (given that I consider said players to be equal in skill) is that the players that didnt do as well failed to grasp the flow of that build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally build my books like so:

1) pick my mage.
2) pick my strategy and select spells to support it.
3) pick spells to defend myself and provide utility.
4) pick spells to counter certain strategies in my meta or shore up weaknesses of my build.
5) trim the fat cutting out as much as I need to to make it legal in spell points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to read a large history of discussions on this topic, here is the link to the Spellbook Design and Construction Forum on Mage Wars web site.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=sf5gZIHlj....0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One method is to use the pre-set decks as a guideline, then tweak it from there based on what you think should be changed (e.g. what are things you never used, or what do you think is necessary or cool to try)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to pick my mage first, then some attack spells, and afterwards the essential spells like Block, Nullify, Dispel, Healing spells, Seeking Dispel, Jinx and Dissolve.
The rest of the spell book depends on the strategy I'm aiming to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.