Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played on New Year's Eve, surprised by the number of errors we came across in the questions asked during our game.

Surely fact-checking would be in order for a significant licence like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
edit7/4/14: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this game does not have has many errors as the OP has indicated
(unless there are different versions with different questions & answers)
imo this game does have its share of problems though
for more info, scroll down to the paragraph labeled "MY FINDINGS" posted 7/4/14(end edit)

im dying to know - what errors did you find in this game?
ive waited years for a doctorwho trivialpursuit (even though i know ill probably never get to play it - none of my fiends & framily would ever want to go up against my encyclopedic knowledge of doctorwho!) and i just learned of this games existence minutes ago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Karnuth
United States
Fleming Island
Fl
flag msg tools
badge
It was a heck of a run.
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely I'm not the only one thinking "Moops" here, am I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keckles wrote:
im dying to know - what errors did you find in this game?
ive waited years for a doctorwho trivialpursuit (even though i know ill probably never get to play it - none of my fiends & framily would ever want to go up against my encyclopedic knowledge of doctorwho!) and i just learned of this games existence minutes ago

It's too long ago now, I don't recall. But they were plentiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shirley you realize that providing no specific examples casts doubt and suspicion upon your story
now i am left wondering whether it was actually you, not the game, that had your facts wrong
Shirley either you or a fiend of yours owns this game and it would be easy enough to go grab the game and check it for errors
honestly im surprised you would even bother creating this thread without specific examples / facts to back up your claim

carlk: i was not thinking that, for i know not what moops means
and stop calling me surely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keckles wrote:
Shirley you realize that providing no specific examples casts doubt and suspicion upon your story
now i am left wondering whether it was actually you, not the game, that had your facts wrong
Shirley either you or a fiend of yours owns this game and it would be easy enough to go grab the game and check it for errors
honestly im surprised you would even bother creating this thread without specific examples / facts to back up your claim

Really?

I played it at a New Years Eve gathering. It belonged to a friend who I don't visit regularly. I didn't take notes at the time of the precise wording of the questions so couldn't quote them. Having to remember them five months later to justify my post didn't occur to me, if it had I wouldn't have bothered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i dont expect you to remember now (5 months later), im just surprised you didnt write what you remembered when you first posted (7 days later)
and i meant no offense (i thought my use of shirley/surely adequately indicated a lighthearted tone)
it just seems like if youre going to take the time to try to inform others, youd provide actual information
after all, you are a stranger to me
for all i know, you could have no idea what youre talking about
and id be a fool to take your word for it
still i sincerely appreciate your effort in attempting to 'warn us all before its too late'
ive been trying to find other costumer feedback online
lots of folks have complaints about this game, but so far youre the only person ive found claiming factual inaccuracy
in any case, it looks like its pretty cheap on amazon at the moment
so ill probably go ahead and order it
and ill be sure to post any errors i find here on this thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ok i just googled moops
i was never into seinfeld so i didnt catch the reference
according to what i just read, that episode referenced a typo in TP
whereas freelunch appears to be referencing factual inaccuracies
still i guess thats a good enough reason to think moops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Q: In the Second Doctor Story "The Time Meddler", what historical battle is the Meddling Monk trying to alter the outcome of?

A: The Battle Of Hastings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
freelunch wrote:
Quote:
Q: In the Second Doctor Story "The Time Meddler", what historical battle is the Meddling Monk trying to alter the outcome of?

A: The Battle Of Hastings

ah yes thats actually a first doctor story
and technically, the character is simply called 'the monk'
but since everything else is correct, on its own this error would be borderline trivial to me
but several errors like this would definitely add up to a major problem

and i went ahead and took the plunge and ordered it
based on everything ive read so far, heres what im most concerned about:

1 that there may be a disproportionately high number of 'new who' questions to appeal to the new fanbase
yet all the idiot NOOBvians are boo-hooing thats theres too many 'classic who' questions
dont they realize the classic series ran for 26 seasons and the new series has only been around for 7 seasons?
therefore only about 23% (less than 1 out of 4) of the questions should deal with new who
and ill be surprised if its not higher than that

2 that there may be too many questions that are not directly about doctor who
1 or 2 folks have complained about questions that ask about OTHER shows that doctorwho cast&crew have been involved in

3 that the questions are going to be way too easy for me

4 that too many questions will be stupid, imprecise, and/or ambiguous
one example that i know is in the game: "what revelation about the doctor's people takes place in 'the war games'?"
theres actually a few revelations, though i am certain which one theyre referring to
and i dont know if this is in the game, but heres a common ambiguous trivia question: "who was the doctor the longest?"
which could mean any of the following (the first three happen to have the same answer, but they could have turned out differently due to differing number of episodes per season and differring episode lengths):
-which actor did the most seasons as the doctor?
-which actor had the most episodes as the doctor?
-which actor had the most broadcast footage as the doctor? a: tom baker
-which actor was the current doctor for the longest period of time? a: paul mcgann, followed closely by sylvester mccoy
-which incarnation of the doctor lived the longest? a: unknown, probably 11 b/c of all those years on trenzalore, but maybe war doctor or first doctor since all three died of old age

5 that there may be factual inaccuracies / errors

6 that the plastic pie shaped case will be orange instead of tardis blue

7 that the die will have pictures of different colored pie on each side instead of daleks

8 typos

ps i just noticed i didnt specifically state this before:
i am sorry if i offended you earlier
and if i offend you currently or in the future, im sorry for that too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you think this edition of TP would be any better than any of the legion of editions before? Just roll your eyes and suck it up like a man playing any refereed sport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DnaDan56 wrote:
Why would you think this edition of TP would be any better than any of the legion of editions before? Just roll your eyes and suck it up like a man playing any refereed sport.

i dont know if youre talking to me, mr freelunch, or both
but either way youre a total ass

first of all, are you even aware of what website youre on?
we are board game geeks
which means we are typically not the sort of people who play refereed sports

secondly, why would you assume we are that familar with all the legions of previous TP editions?
i am interested in this game because i am a doctor who fan, not really a TP fan
you talk as though TP has a well-known history of flaws
well this is the first im hearing of it
maybe im just not 'in the know'
but the other editions that i have played seemed fine
and it is not unreasonable to expect a trivia game to have compiled accurate trivia
otherwise, theres really no game

and as i have already said: even though i have concerns, i ordered the game anyway
so obviously i AM 'sucking it up'
and expressing my concerns here is essentially 'rolling my eyes'

lastly, and most importantly, a real man doesnt feel the need to tear others down by insulting their manhood
grow the f*** up
now go play with your toys and leave us alone to play with ours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
and if the game is truly as bad as andrew has indicated, then playing it would be like trying to play basketball with a deflated ball
would you really expect anyone to 'suck it up' and play anyway?
by starting this thread, he was just trying to warn everyone not to waste their money on a busted basketball and you cant fault him for that

even if every basketball youve ever touched before was busted, and everyone knows basketballs are usually busted, it was still nice of him to say, "hey everybody, i checked this ball and its flat too"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
and playing a sport doesnt make you a man anyway
far too many professional athletes are human garbage - criminals, rapists, murderers, dog-killers, deadbeat dads with multiple baby mamas, and all-around jackasses
none of these people have a clue of what it means to be a man
tho i suppose for each bad apple theres a fine upstanding young man
which means pro athletes average out to be - well, average - in the manhood department
the point is: whether or not you play a sport has absolutely nothing to do how much of a man you are

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
this forum made me so paranoid about errors that i obsessivecompulsively read every single question in the game (but not every answer - that would be cheating)
when an error interferes with your ability to answer correctly, i consider it a major error
if it doesnt, then it is a minor error

MY FINDINGS:

out of the 600 questions on 100 cards, i found:
only 3 major errors
19 minor errors (including a couple typos)
180 questions about classic doctorwho
330 questions about new doctorwho
18 questions that concern both old & new doctorwho
72 questions that really have nothing to do with doctorwho, most of which require you to be familar with shows that have never even aired outside the uk (not even on bbcamerica)

THE THREE MAJOR ERRORS:
Quote:
q: which two Doctors often wear bow ties?
a: the eleventh and the third
correction: the second doctor also wore a bowtie regularly
Quote:
q: what extraterrestrial martial art was the Third Doctor fond of using?
a: Venusian Aikido
correct, but he also called it Venusian Karate on at least one occasion
Quote:
q: which are the only two Doctors not to have come face to face with the Cybermen?
a:the 8th and the 9th (the Third doctor did not have a full adventure with them, but met them in The Five Doctors)
correction: the 3rd doctor and the cybermen were both in The Five Doctors, but they most definitely never came "face to face" and never actually "met"
also, the 9th doctor literally came face to face with a cyberman in henry van stattens museum, although it was only a head in a glass case
plus, the show only shows a portion of the doctors life
3, 8, and 9 probably all met the cybermen at some point in their lives but we never saw it
but i know what the game means - theyre just referring to televised adventures

MY VERDICT:

all in all, id say its worth the $16 i paid for it
any more than that is a ripoff
what pisses me off most is all the questions that really have nothing to do with doctorwho and the disproportionately high number of 'new who' questions (there should be four times as many classic who questions as there are new who questions)
the amount of errors/inaccuracies is disappointing, but its pretty much what i would have expected even if i had never come across anyones feedback
also, the case is unnecessarily large for a 'travel edition'
its big enough to hold three times as many cards as you get

and if any of you whovians are wondering:
there are no questions about the novels, audios, comics, or magazines - just televised doctorwho
spinoffs are mentioned, but no knowledge of the spinoffs is necessary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Mann
msg tools
"Which 1980's girl band released a single "I'm gonna spend my Christmas with a Dalek": (Answer: The Go Gos) -- The Go Gos that released this song were a 1960s British band whose 6 members were 5 guys and 1 girl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sirbissel wrote:
"Which 1980's girl band released a single "I'm gonna spend my Christmas with a Dalek": (Answer: The Go Gos) -- The Go Gos that released this song were a 1960s British band whose 6 members were 5 guys and 1 girl.

i did notice this error (i have the song on cd)
while it is majorly stupid to mix up these two Go Gos, i had to consider it a minor error because if youve heard of the song then you are still able to answer the question correctly, especially since the question actually includes multiple choice to make it easier:
Quote:
Which 1980s Girl Band released a single called "I'm gonna spend my Christmas with a Dalek": The Go Gos, Fuzzbox, Bananarama, The Bangles?
(Answer: The Go Gos)
this is definitely the most major of the "minor errors"
but there are about 19 minor errors and im not about to list all of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
keckles wrote:
there are about 19 minor errors and im not about to list all of them

but i will give some examples, just so those of you considering buying the game can know what yer getting into:
Quote:
q: What does TARDIS stand for?
a: Time and Relative Dimension in Space
correction: according to some episodes, the D stands for 'Dimensions'
i assume most, if not all, players would allow 'dimensions' as a correct answer even though the card says 'dimension'
so i consider it minor
Quote:
q: Which Time Lord's disembodied head does the Fourth Doctor encounter, on the planet Karn?
correction: it wasnt a head, just a brain
there was a bust, but a statue of a head is not a disembodied head
also, i dont think that comma belongs in the question
Quote:
q: What was the name of the First Doctor's Granddaughter?
if shes the first doctors granddaughter, then shes every doctors granddaughter
hes still the same dude
why specify the first?
she is The Doctor's granddaughter. period
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.