Dungeon Roll» Forums » Variants

Subject: my solo variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: info [+] [View All]
Chris Hayes
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
first let me say I love the concept of this game. I have been waiting for a game like this for a long time. However there are a few things that I think the developers missed and I think it is apparent in many of the various variants that the players are putting forth. AD&D, fantasy, action adventure, whatever you call it is about overcoming tasks to get rewards. That is really what it boils down to in the end. This games core rule set seems to miss that at some levels. Puzzle game or not, picking this theme adds a prickly pear as fantasy gamers like their treasure, and walking by a chest or potion is not "fun" for us.
That was a hard fought battle, I lost vlad, he was a good man, kyle is dead too, shame but there is that chest and potion to think about. Kyle fought hard to get us that loot, oh wait....I killed that goblin and those skeletons, lost my fighter and priest oh and there is a treasure chest and potion, can't afford to pick those up, on to the next series of bad aevents, good times!! Rolling something good like a potion or chest should be a good thing, and it should be instantly seen as such, not "not a bad thing so be happy". All that being said I understand that the rules are what they are for speeds sake. This is not a solo game and as such less options and a faster pace is part of the design.

That being said here are my SOLO variant rules that add a ton of options, strategy and theme.

Potions are free, if we look back at early test runs of the game that is how they were intended. Any potions rolled simply re-roll dice in the grave yard during the loot phase.
(for fun and to add a bit of theme to the solo game, if I roll a potion on the first level I get to keep that in my pack) makes the scout fun as I can place the potion in the "forest" as a friendly vendor helping me before I enter the dungeon. One added rule is that I have to use it if the dungeon dice need it, usually around level 6 or 7.

the second variant involves the thief. Chests also do not kill dice. Helps with the whole, rolling a chest is a good thing, not "not a bad thing". But there is a catch to how I play and it helps with the theme. You have to have a thief or thieves tools to open chests, period. A thief can open as many chests as you roll without being killed. Thieves tools can only open one box per tool without being killed as well, consider it the silly priest trying to muddle with tools before we move on. This way the thief die is still useful after getting the tools, but not as needed. This makes having a thief extremely thematic especially early game, it also makes the thieves tools feel like thieves tools

That is it, those two variants change the game drastically for solo play.

The end game score also falls flat and is no longer appropriate for this variant so I play it more goal based.

Simply put I need to make it to level 10 on one of my delves and score at least 50 points by games end. This somewhat mimics multi-player as you may need to push your luck on the last delve if you haven't made it to level 10.

With this variant you get more treasure, have way more choices due to all the treasure and options you have, and each game lasts longer as a result. Also it just feels right as you are fighting monsters to get treasure, and you never walk by loot. You are getting treasure to become more powerful and have more options. You are getting more powerful to beat the game, not get a high score.

I have not tested this with all the heroes, and I'm sure some of them may break these house rules, but thought I would throw them out to the community to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
oh and I play mulligans on the party roll each phase. It is about having fun when playing solo not getting screwed I would rather make the goal harder then making a random roll of 6 scrolls mess my game up. This variant takes a bit longer. If I play the class that has it's special as mulligans I give myself 2.

That being said you can customize this however you like. 60 points and level 10, no mulligans, 40 points, whatever makes the solo play more fun for you. This system works for me so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Webster
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
If I can't solo it, I don't want it
badge
Beards and boardgames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your variant looks very interesting! I have noted down the simple rules and will try them .... Looks like just the ticket to make solo play more thematic. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this.

I don't mind the base game rules to be honest and more often than not play with them as is. My only minor gripe with the game out of the box is the total loss of XP after a failed delve, so with this in mind I use a combination of the popular variants in this forum for solo:

1: XP lockdown - get to 5 then it's in the bag - you don't lose the 5xp if you fail at 6+ - this mitigates that awful empty feeling of drawing a 0 after rolling like jiggery for 10 mins.

2: Thematic potions - only allow reanimation of actual characters in the graveyard. This really does feel great bringing back fallen comrades compared to turning everything to a Champion, which doesn't quite feel right.

I can live without number 2, as the potions rule out of the box does make it exciting when you get 2 or 3, as using only 1 die to quaff them feels like a huge reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Funny, I bought this game yesterday and didn't read the rules to well, I am Dutch and my English is good but cost me energy so I skip on boring reading sometimes
So I started playing and used the rules you discribe here... It just felt right. Welk, untill I started counting the points in the end hahaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mills117 wrote:

I have not tested this with all the heroes, and I'm sure some of them may break these house rules, but thought I would throw them out to the community to try.

Going to have to try this one...

I'm beginning to look at the party dice as "actions" the hero(s) can take. In a delve, maybe the party can "rest" (roll a monster die for a random encounter maybe) but after the rest, re-roll ALL the party die and continue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.