Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn-order track has two action spaces (one in the two-player game), each of which can be chosen with a single worker.

This worker can be in a player's color; a turquoise temporary worker; the Black worker; or a rouble.

The English rules say "it is very important to know which player places a worker on the turn order action spaces. To this effect, if a player places a worker that is not of her color or a rouble, she must immediately exchange it with a worker of her color placed on another action space."

The German rules are different here: "ist es für das Sortieren der Reihenfolge wichtig zu wissen, welchem Spieler der Arbeiter auf dem Aktionsfeld gehört. Sollte ein Spieler einen Leiharbeiter oder eine Münze einsetzen, so muss er diesen sofort gegen einen Arbeiter in seiner Farbe von einem anderen Aktionsfeld austauschen."

Instead of "a worker that is not of her color or a rouble," it is (translated) "a temporary worker or a rouble."

The difference is the Black worker. The German rules have the Black worker stay on the turn-order action space, while the English rules require it to be swapped with an ordinary worker.

I like the German rules better here for the following reasons.

First, everyone already needs to know to whom the Black worker belongs (that player can hold onto the ? card if necessary). So there is no real benefit to doing this switch if the Black worker is placed on the turn-order track.

More importantly, suppose that the Black worker is placed on a turn-order space and is then is moved elsewhere (as described above). It could end up on 1-worker space like the one that gives two black-track advancements (if that space had been occupied by a worker of the player's color). Later on, the player could use Engineer 8 or Factory 3 to use that action again. Doing so would then give the Black worker's bonus (an extra black-track advancement).

That doesn't seem fair - the Black worker was never placed on the track-advancement space; it was only moved there to clarify who was where on the turn-order track.

If the Black worker is left on the turn-order track, this kind of back-door use of its bonus can't happen.

Leaving it there allows a different use of the bonus that seems more legitimate.

If the Black worker is left on the turn-order track (per the German rules), it can be used again after the turn order has been reorganized. At this point, it could be placed on an action space that gives a black-track advancement (and thus the bonus).

That seems completely fair to me. In this case, the Black worker gives its bonus by being used in a way that any other worker could be used. The bonus does apply - but the owning player took a risk in placing the Black worker on the turn-order track, knowing that it was likely that only the "single black/gray advancement" might be the only available to the Black worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
In all honesty: I think this discussion is purely theoretical. Why on earth should I ever place the black worker on the starting player action if I even have enough stuff (workers/coins) left to copy it later this round?

Ok, you could get the black worker himself relatively late in the round with not much workers/coins left, but then again the starting player action is usually blocked anyway. If I want to use the black worker's bonus twice I will find ways to not place it on the starting player action.

I think all these rules for being able to determine which player took which action are very easy to manage for a honest group. And all this your worker/your color stuff has been discussed quite extensively.
Right now I would be interested in practical experiences with the game, strategy tipps etc, although I realise that this isn't the righ subforum for this ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't see how this would be such a big deal. The black worker may never come out and if the player chose that route, they most likely have an engineer to play him on or are trying to throw down on the double or triple black spot....which reminds me...Can you combine the black worker with another worker to do the triple black track option (thus getting to place 4 black track)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blnichol wrote:
Can you combine the black worker with another worker to do the triple black track option (thus getting to place 4 black track)?

Yes.

The Black worker can be used like any other worker, so you can use it with another worker on the triple black-track action.

Then "each time you use the black worker on an action space that grants at least 1 black rail advancement, you get an extra black rail advancement."

You just used the Black worker like that, so you get the fourth advancement.

The rules for the Black worker don't have any limitation on its being used alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.